PDA

View Full Version : Question? one side gets it, the other doesnt

leeb51
Jul 13, 2008, 04:38 AM
i study wing chun and when i'm learning new techniques or practising old ones, i find that i can get it quicker with my right hand leading opposed to having my left hand leading. i must have brain freeze for that side!! does anyone else get that problem and does anyone have any remedies?

cheesedog
Jul 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
That's pretty normal, most people find it easier to learn/do new techniques on their dominant side. A training buddy of mine is right handed but oddly enough left legged which causes some weird mix-ups sometimes.

rinpoche
Jul 22, 2008, 03:22 PM
Not only can you have hand and leg dominance, but you also have a dominant eye.

My father was forced to write with his right hand as a kid (as many in his generation were), but he remained left eye dominant. He fires a rifle left handed, but golfs right handed.

reitz90
Jul 22, 2008, 04:14 PM
The other day i was teaching my sister how to throw a rock. I couldn't understand how she can't throw a rock further than 20 metres, even though i've shown her hundreds of times how. Then i tried to throw with my left arm. I threw just a couple of metres further than she did.
I felt so weak but it's not such a big deal actually because i think this was the first time i've ever thrown something with my left arm.

I play also footbag and it's much more difficult to learn new tricks with my left leg.

Lately i've been trying to include my left arm to my everyday activities more. Seems to be working.