PDA

View Full Version : High kick ko power and speed

Laza MMA
Jul 03, 2008, 12:14 PM
It goes the same like with my punches, i have no problem hiting anyone but THEY NEVER GO DOWN, how do i increase my KO power in my legs without slowing them down

cheesedog
Jul 03, 2008, 01:46 PM
With weights: deadlift, power clean, power snatch
With Bodyweight: one leg squats, split squats, jump squats, alternating lunge jumps

Journeyman
Jul 05, 2008, 02:03 PM
You could strap your legs to a resistance band to do your kicks, I heard that works well

Shark
Jul 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
You could strap your legs to a resistance band to do your kicks, I heard that works well

I have used resistance bands in punching and kicking training, and it seems to work not just for power but speed.

Jay Cooper
Aug 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
Keep practicing!

The above exercises will help you with your base strength level, but it is primarily practice that will improve your strikes. Keep hitting that heavy bag!

exmootie
Aug 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
I was always taught that:
speed+technique=power
technique+power=speed
power+speed DOES NOT EQUAL technique

what i am trying to say is that if your technique is good, and you deliver with speed ,then the power will be there.
Practice speed drills and perfect your technical execution (proper form)
hope this helps:mrgreen:

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
Technique is everything. You have to learn to throw a punch from the ground up. Use your hips to generate the power. Also a weak core will ruin all your power transmission cause you will loose all that power in your core and it will not make it up to your arm. Shadow boxing and pad work work great. Do footwork drills. I would say hit a punching bag but EVERYONE I know of always starts to go ape shit hitting the thing as hard as they can and they throw technique out the window.

emperor zombie
Aug 26, 2008, 01:14 AM
get a heavybag, get some boxing instruction. as far as kicking, the same principles apply. the main way to drop someone is to create angles. anyone can cover up if they see the punch coming. thats why boxing wins out moreso than alot of other martial arts. you set up your attack to hit them in the most vulnerable area with your strongest weapon. and you dont just throw one punch but a combo. take the 1-2-3. the jab sets it all up. it get the range/timing. obscures his vision. the cross either goes to his head right after the jab giving him a harder shot to the head which needs to be blocked or evaded. that sets up the hook. if he defends the cross by blocking, the hook goes around his block and he wont see it, he will only know its coming via experience. if he evades he either goes into it or away from it. into it he gets hit a little harder, away you either dont hook or evade yourself. this stuff needs to be drilled so that you dont need to think anout it in a fight, it comes naturally. same with kicking. alot of people can throw a hard kick, but few can throw it so the opponent doesnt see it. and only stick to simple kicks. front heel kick and round shin kick. all the others take alot longer to learn. heel to the solar plexus, snap kick to the groin, round to the knee/or ribs. and if for whatever reason need to kick someone in the head, shin kick him in the crease of the neck...he will drop if there is anything on it.