PDA

View Full Version : Balance

Meseria
May 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been looking over the net for other exercises i can use to increase my balance (mostly on 1 foot) but i have not found much. I have mostly found exercises targeted for elderly people like just stand on 1 foot (this is too easy for me!!! lol). I was wondering if there are any martial artists on here who can lend me some knowledge as to how to achieve a similar level of balance.

So far i have just been experimenting myself and now i normally do these everyday along with stretching.

Stand on 1 foot with knee straight. Bend down and touch ground with tips of both hands (just taaapppp it). I also usually keep my 2nd leg straight and have it go out behind me to create a 90* angle in my groin. So then you go back to straight but swing your 2nd foot forward and then up in the air (keeping both knees straight) and until you gently kick your hand (stick the same side hand straight out so its parallel with ground).

Another one i do is just one footed jumping front to back and side to side.

Especially the first one i can feel it hardcore usin all the stablizer muscles in my ankle, calf and parts of my quad.

If you have any idea's please let me know!

Erik
May 29, 2008, 04:47 PM
One of the ones I like is to stand in crane stance (on one foot) and practice your kicks without putting your foot down say 10 each kick (front, side, roundhouse, back, inside crescent, outside crescent, hook) then do the other side.

Another is to do a stationary kick: extend your leg out into a front kick position, hold it for 10 seconds, then side kick, then back kick. See if you can extend your time to hold for one minute. Also a good leg strength builder.

Try walking on low walls, curbs, rails, etc. Always keep safety in mind (i.e. don't stand on balcony rails).

The key with balance is where you focus your eyes. If you keep your eyes locked on one point, most standing balance tricks are fairly easy. Walking balance tricks are harder, and I'm not even going to try hand balancing :).

juggledex
May 29, 2008, 04:49 PM
Try standing on one leg with your eyes closed for time. It's an old balance test.

olinek
May 29, 2008, 05:59 PM
Try standing on one leg with your eyes closed for time. It's an old balance test.

And once you got that head practise did you can do full head rotations and rolls with eyes closed on one foot.

Look to martial artitsts, gymnasts and traceurs for balance.

Fenderuser93
Jun 08, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is quite the thing your looking for, but an indoboard would help your balance greatly. I used it when i wanted to practice for surfing and my uncle used it for physical therapy.
you can find them at indoboard.com

1st post :grin:

emperor zombie
Jun 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
grab a foot with the hand on the same side, the hop around front to back side to side. hops for distance and whatnot. eventually do with eyes closed.