PDA

View Full Version : Fedor Emelianenko

warriorscholar
May 19, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hey all,

I was just checking out Fedor Emelianenko's Wikipedia page and I noticed something cool. Here is an excerpt:

Emelianenko used to weight train extensively, but in 1999 he almost completely substituted his weight exercises with sport-specific training in grappling, boxing, and kickboxing. His strength training consists of daily pull-ups, push ups on parallel bars, and crunches.[18] Emelianenko also runs twice a day every day for a combined distance of 1215 kilometers (7.59.3 mi),[19] and is a proponent of high altitude training, travelling to Kislovodsk, Russia with his team once or twice a year to train in high altitude.

The guy is 28-1-1 and does little weight training. That rocks.

Cheers,

juggledex
May 19, 2008, 02:41 PM
and here's what it looks like
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RREGFOZoZTk

mind you, his technique and brain are more what wins his fights than anything.

joebob
May 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
This guy's a beast! its amazing how he mostly trains using body weight exercises.

tnevy4
May 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
yes Fedor owns all he is my hero next to techno viking. but if they fought i have no clue who would win.

Phoenician
May 19, 2008, 06:33 PM
awesome, thanks for sharing
i think distance running is some of the best shit going
i used to run distance, like 5 days a week too, around 10 kilometres a day (not sure exactly what that is in miles sorry), and my body and mind both never felt better

nready
May 22, 2008, 12:39 AM
Fedor with out a doubt is a beast, but he is not my hero. He is just an excellent fighter.

wulfsun
May 23, 2008, 03:29 AM
Fedor was doing "kips" or kipping pull-ups. Sledgehammering a tire is a weight exercise, and I notice the kettlebells all around him as well. He's Russian, so naturally he swings those too. So Fedor doesn't do BWC only.

silentassassin
May 23, 2008, 02:23 PM
Fedor is one of the best heavyweight fighters i have seen

warriorscholar
May 25, 2008, 04:40 AM
This thread never claimed that Fedor does body weight exercises only. It just mentioned that he switched his focus from weight training to more body weight style pursuits. And while taking a hammer to a tire may be considered a "weighted" exercise, its not the kind of thing you find in gyms. I really just wanted to point out that one of the best fighters of this generation isn't a gym rat roid freak. He's a guy who does lots of body weight exercises, sport specific training, and non-gym style weighted exercises.

Now just to cover my bases, I have nothing against gym rats. I've been known to curl a barbell or two myself. And yes, I'm sure Fedor does a number of exercises with weights. But from what information I can find, he stopped most of his weighted work the year before he began one of the most impressive MMA careers in history.

Cheers,

wulfsun
May 25, 2008, 05:10 AM
Thank you for pointing that out to me again scholar. So now I know that Mr. Emelianenko isn't a gym rat ( I'm not one anymore either).

Fatman
May 26, 2008, 04:30 AM
This thread never claimed that Fedor does body weight exercises only. It just mentioned that he switched his focus from weight training to more body weight style pursuits. And while taking a hammer to a tire may be considered a "weighted" exercise, its not the kind of thing you find in gyms. I really just wanted to point out that one of the best fighters of this generation isn't a gym rat roid freak. He's a guy who does lots of body weight exercises, sport specific training, and non-gym style weighted exercises.

Most fighters aren't really gym rats, as far as I know.

As for "non-gym style weighted exercises", that's a tough one to define. Some gyms cater to sledgehammer work and kettlebells. Many people associate gyms with pec-deck and bench presses, which is incorrect, although I can see where the misunderstanding comes from.

His training does seem to be mostly BW, though.

EDIT - As for the 'roids part, just because he's not huge doesn't mean he's not juicing. Sean Sherk (sp?) wasn't exactly a behemoth, yet he loaded on the stuff until he got caught. A lot of successful MMA guys use steroids. One has to, in order to recover from the abuse they put their bodies through.

valjean
May 26, 2008, 06:30 AM
EDIT - As for the 'roids part, just because he's not huge doesn't mean he's not juicing. Sean Sherk (sp?) wasn't exactly a behemoth, yet he loaded on the stuff until he got caught. A lot of successful MMA guys use steroids. One has to, in order to recover from the abuse they put their bodies through.[/quote]

Is that true? I must say i'm surprised to read that. When was sean sherk caught? I'm going to see the ufc at the O2 arena in london on 7th of june, where matt hughes is topping the bill. As one of my favourite fighters, i hope he's never used the juice!

Fatman
May 26, 2008, 07:03 AM
Sherk was caught sometime toward the end of '07. Read here for more info (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/18375-The-Sean-Sherk-Steroid-Saga-A-Former-UFC-Lightweight-Champion-s-Fall-from-Grace)

Bear in mind that guys who don't get caught are probably still doing it. It's just the nature of sports these days. Swimmers, track-and-fielders and sprinters juice heavily (remember the Marion jones scandal?). Even some of the top golfers are on roids, which means that there is really no limit. Drug-free sport is all but dead.

The guys who don't test positive are probably taking something that they can't test for yet. They also cycle "clean" urine and do all sorts of crazy shit. So take your sports heroes at face value and don't delve into whether they are on the juice or not. That's my advice.

Big Jew
May 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
Fedor is fighting Tim Sylvia in July.
That should be a great match.
I hope Fedor gets the Win.

If you haven't seen Fedor compete in Japan in "Pride Fighting Champions"
check it out. His abilities are above the clouds.

Teknik
May 26, 2008, 08:51 PM
Just to give a different point of view,
There is a great deal of speculation as to why Sherk tested positive. The man was taking dozens of supplements a day, which they tested and some were actually positive for the steriod he tested for. Not saying he wasn't guilty, I'm just saying it isn't as open book as the last few posts made it out to be.

As for fedor. I've seen a lot of pictures of him training with kettle bells since he's been fighting.

Journeyman
Jul 05, 2008, 01:57 PM
Probably best in the world right now-look at his record

Big Jew
Jul 05, 2008, 03:03 PM
My prediction for the Affliction Fights.

Fedor will win over Timmy via arm bar 1st round.

Journeyman
Jul 05, 2008, 03:04 PM
like he took out Hong Man Choi

Journeyman
Aug 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
I also just heard Matt Serra also focuses on yoga, calisthenics, running and kettlebells

Sorry I love mma-though I don't have any misconceptions about how 'realistic' it is...still a great sport

joebob
Aug 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
Did you guys see that fight with fedor vs tim sylvia?
He took him out in 36 seconds! Submission rear naked choke hold.
Not that Tim Sylvia was in shape really, but still amazing win for Fedor.

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
Fedor also trains with kettlebells.

nready
Aug 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
Did you guys see that fight with fedor vs tim sylvia?
He took him out in 36 seconds! Submission rear naked choke hold.
Not that Tim Sylvia was in shape really, but still amazing win for Fedor.I did not get to see that but I figured it would go that way.