PDA

View Full Version : Brazillian Jiu Jitsu: what BW exercices and routine to improve your practice

phlex
May 16, 2008, 02:10 PM
the title says it all. In most combat arts you have to strenghten your body, and/get more flexible to drill your skills. Getting in shape to perform some of those skills you want to learn may become an aim in itself. But the coherence of a system means that some moves and some skills will be prefered to others for their efficiency and efficacity, thus they will be more drilled during the training.
What kind of moves and wich routine have yet produce the best result for you? Wich are the ones you like and those you hate even if they're very efficent?
In some cases the BW exercice you warm up with, is the move used in rolling, what are those you know ?
In the case of warm up do you know good routine, or do you prefer a specific order for those routine?
I dare ask that many questions at once to fellow BJJ practitioners, because first, I noticed that a good warm up really lowers the risks of injuries, second that in a well structured lesson the warm up prepares ideally to the skills you learn or practice before rolling.
Plenty of others reasons arise to my mind, but those two are the main ones.

thanx.

Phlex.

cheesedog
May 17, 2008, 02:29 AM
Bridges, both wrestler's and gymnast-style. Especially the bridges where you keep the top of your head on the floor and basically "walk" around. Basic shoulder rolls, front and back. Aligator walks with hands and with elbows.

wulfsun
May 17, 2008, 04:53 AM
Scott sonnon. check him out on youtube and then check out kettlebell athletics.

phlex
May 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
thanks for the replies.checked scott sonnen @ youtube, very intersting wulfsun. I'd rather use only BW exercies, cause I really don't like weights. the only way I use them is while running.
already use brides, not as well as i'd like to but keeping on working on it.
One of the moves I'd like to improve is the double leg take down, be more explosive while performing it. Got great results using this routine:

15-20 minutes jogging to warm up
then 3 to 5 rounds of:
small steady jump ( like using a jump rope)
5 push ups
5 high knee jumps.
this is cool but i'd like to find a new one not to get bored. Do anybody knows a routine to strengthen the wrists?
thanks.

wulfsun
May 20, 2008, 03:47 AM
sledgehammer,sandbag, chains, rope,bricks, or a lead pipe. This is the some of stuff I'm using along with my kettlebells.BTW, did you look at his exercises for fighters?

crazydan
May 25, 2008, 07:45 PM
RUN! cardio is so important. mix up sprinting and joggin

marksmarkou
Jun 02, 2008, 08:39 AM
Our warm ups usually consist of ,
light cardio to raise the body tempreture slightly (running, jumping jacks, skipping etc) 5 mins
light stretching to loosen the muscles 10-15 mins
breakfalls, (side forward and backwards) rolls, cartwheels, head and hand springs (these all help to further warm up and are specifically good for BJJ/grappling practise. 10 mins.

Good exercises which can be be performed to enhance youre BJJ include, pressups, crunches (all the variations you can think of), yoga type movements are excellent for building strength and flexibility, free squats with high reps will help to build the leg conditioning needed for grappling, and never ever forgot neck training (bridges, reverse bridges)

phlex
Jun 03, 2008, 07:27 PM
I did follow your advices and I decided to try torun as much as I did before (at least 2 times, up to 4 times a week). Now I know my cardio is not up to what it was before I got hurt.
Since you all answered me we beginn evry trainning session at my bjj club with a five rounds of 20 press-up, 30 sit up or cruches, 40 squats, so it was hard the 3-4 times I did it, then I didn't get too exhausted. But it rocks. I Hope in 2 monthes I'll see the firsts effects of running often again...
And I'll incorporate more bridges for the neck in what I still can't call a routine.
thanx.

bjjguy
Jun 07, 2008, 07:03 PM
It depends on what you're trying to improve. For conditioning, I think burpees are great. To improve your jiu-jitsu, I recommend drilling with a swiss ball to practice keeping your hips heavy and transitioning. Try searching youtube for good examples (sorry, it's just easier to see). I've seen Galvao doing some pretty interesting drills.

Dominator350
Jun 07, 2008, 07:44 PM
don't forget skiprope for the heavier people and the ones known to have a family history with bad knees.

Bakerboy
Jun 08, 2008, 03:26 AM
You might also give www.rosstraining.com (http://www.rosstraining.com) a good once over.

Big Jew
Jun 08, 2008, 07:15 AM
CHeck out a Bikhram Yoga class.

It builds strength and flexibility.

The exhaustion from the heated room alone builds cardio.
Loosens the joints in the body and opens up air passage ways.
Sweats toxins away and heals injuries.

Bikhram Yoga is the sh*t

I roll as well.

straight edge
Jun 08, 2008, 03:06 PM
Swimming's also good for MMA because you build lean muscle, get cardio, and still maintain flexibility.