PDA

View Full Version : Boxing goals

EvilElfMaster
May 05, 2008, 01:32 AM
I will start boxing by next Monday. I'm in fairly good shape. I know I can do at least 12 pull-ups and well over 50 squats. My questions are:

What are some good goal lines to have?

What are some good exercises to know?

What ab/core workout plan would be best?

nready
May 05, 2008, 12:50 PM
Most boxers train in a fashion likened to a round of boxing.

They will do like for the stomach for like a 6 minute round would involve like crunches, sit-ups, leg raises, single leg raises, bridge up, pointing dog, reverse crunch, inside leg raise, leg thrusts - they would do as many rounds until the buzzer sounded of these doing like sets of 60 for each exercise.

Than they do legs for another 6 minute round split squats, lunges, pistols, squats, wide leg squats, and calf raises, inside calf raises, out side calf raises, jump rope, split jumping squats, side to side(a plyometric), running in place to count to 60 - sets of 60 repeating until the buzzer sounds.

On to arms this would include light weights for curls, arm extensions, kickbacks, slow(very controlled no fast punching with the weight) punching with the weights, the thing where you pull the weight from in front but you use the back muscles(you are leaning over), Shoulder raises, shoulder raise to the back and shoulder raise to the front, punching and practice set of punching methods and combinations- in like set of 60 going thru it as many times as you can for the 6 minute round. There may be style of plyometrics for the punching, that are done but usually these are done after you have put the weights down.

After that they would do several rounds on bags and some boxing ring stuff, but they usually go right back to doing those things above.

The rule at all the boxing gyms I have studied at, is you have to be in shape to fight in the gym, you have to be in shape to fight for the gym as well.

cheesedog
May 05, 2008, 04:35 PM
Check out Rosstraining.com. Ross is a former boxer, and his workouts are top-notch.

Laza MMA
Jun 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
Well done, i love boxing, only thing i dont like about it is that 80% of punches are thrown in the head, and i dont want to end up like Muhamed Ali:D

crazydan
Jun 18, 2008, 12:08 AM
alright goals are just keep getting better
good excercises a good balanced workout si best but some Ideals are def variations of burpees. they are amazing same with jumprope. endurance is much more important in boxing then raw strenght
core do situps, dragon flags, leg rasies, etc. but do alot of rotational excercises like full contract twists and russian twists. and have someone punch ur stomach or drop a medicine ball on it to toughn it up. start light and workout. also dont neglect the woer back. try back extensions.

Erratic
Jun 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
I will start boxing by next Monday. I'm in fairly good shape. I know I can do at least 12 pull-ups and well over 50 squats. My questions are:

What are some good goal lines to have?

What are some good exercises to know?

What ab/core workout plan would be best?

There's only so much ab-work you can do to take body punches. I did a lot of situps and the first good body shot I took while sparring, it was near the end of one round, and I was still feeling it after the minute rest when the next round started. You'll just have to get used to take it to the body.

You definitely want to jump rope. I usually do 3 rounds of 3 minutes, with a minute rest between each round. I'm probably one of the lesser-conditioned people in the gym as it's more of a hobby for me and I don't compete.