PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good workout for a muay thai fighter

Gigi
Apr 17, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hy everyone,i am a big fan of bodyweight exercises and i would like to hear your opinions and advices.
I fight -75 kilos weight division and thats my walking weight,i would like to maybe gain a kilo or two but main goal is to become stronger and more explosive.I have a pull-up bar,ab roller and resistance bands.
So...could you give me a workout i should follow to achieve my goals?What exercises,how much and very important when....3 times a week i train muay thai and twice a week i do boxing or running and on these two days i would also(or only) work on my strength.
Tnx in advance.

juggledex
Apr 17, 2008, 03:04 PM
I was reading this yesterday. It might entertain you into the right direction;
http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_balanced_fighter

cheesedog
Apr 18, 2008, 01:43 AM
Go to Ross Enemait's website and order "Never "Gymless" and follow his 50 day plan, it's a great resource for combat athletes. I'm planning on starting it myself Monday, with a few minor changes.

Azon
May 06, 2008, 05:48 AM
As a Fellow Muay Thai fighter, I think you know the basics for work out plans, and how demanding training in the sport is. But here's a few things to really focus on: Your clinch strength should be one of your top priorities as I think you don't want to get thrown around like a rag doll. I know at my gym were big on training this technique so we do pull ups, pull ups, pull ups! You must also strengthen your core muscles as you need alot of balance as you twist and torque your torso in order to get the upper hand and slide in an elbow. Your basic sit ups will help, pay attention to your obliques, as well as work your back muscles nothing fancy here but rememberber to use proper form. Really alot of your power and muscle tourque will come as you progress more and more in training. Muay Thai is intense more than other fighting arts so it causes trauma to your muscles slightly similar to weightlifting so you'll see a definate differance in muscle shape, density and strength after many training sessions. You can do one legged squats for your teep strength (front push kicks) I found it helped me tremendously after I became proficient in it, even won by a 2R KO' after my opponent took one to the face. Really Muay Thai only requires your basic body weight excercises theres not much to it, just remember to become very proficient in them, as you want train your body to work under heavy fatigue. Remember "hard training" everyday, when your body starts shutting down from fatigue your opponent is not gonna wait for you to catch your breath. Really what is your strength goal for the sport are you an amatuer, or pro? Anyway if you need anything I have dozens of workout plans I have benefitted from over the years. What country are you in? I love fighting the Dutch fighters they are the strongest in my opinion out of the western fighters.

-Azon
#5 Ranked
Cruiser Weight Division All Japan Kickboxing federation

smcd
May 08, 2008, 11:10 AM
i do muay thai myself, and i found that with western muay thai, its rather diluted in terms of rules, tbh most western thai boxers fight modified muay thai as some fights dont even allow knees to the head and very few fights what we call FTR ( full thai rules) and depending on what your fighting will effect how you train, tbh technique is just as important as fitness, i train as if i fight FTR because i feel its the only way to fight, for FTW you need good strength in your trapz, deltoids, tri's and bi's to make sure your head isnt going to be pulled down! as the previous poster said a good strong core is required.. for obvious reasons :P only problem is conventional methods of increasing core strength involves the abs to buldge and from what ive been told/read is a hinderince in power transfer, everything else is negotiable! hehe imo that is.. oh yeah and strong shins :P

emperor zombie
Jun 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
dont get too complicated. bench, deadlift/squat, power clean, and pullup heavy, also one leg stuff and external shoulder rotator lifts as well, rest should be bags and sparring. oh, and the running.
as far as abs...dont worry about bulging or whatnot. heavy side bends and knee ups and full contact twist if you have the set up.
west side for skinny bastards is pretty much all the above and/or check ross's site

im currently playing with litvinov sprints. ill post after a while but ill tell you ths, they are not fun.

Raja
Jun 13, 2008, 06:31 PM
Get on youtube and start typing in some kickboxers names and their workouts. I found LOTS of cool things to try out.

exmootie
Jun 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
if you are an active thai boxer then you have a trainer/coach. listen to them because they usually have been there and got the t-shirt.
mine did.
no better advice than experience

Jamesy_uk
Jun 23, 2008, 05:11 AM
Part of the reason i am training again is to get back into Muay Thai, got a very good place in the town i live now (Hitchin) but theres no way i will re-join till I have my fitness level up.
My routine before was pretty much as has been mentioned in this thread already, one thing I tended to do was I walked everywhere on tip toes as I remember my first few weeks training way back 8 years ago my calves were murdered every time i went from rocking backwards and forwards practicing blocks and Teh Chiang and Teh Trong.