PDA

View Full Version : combat conditioning

mma425
Mar 21, 2008, 10:21 AM
and NO this is NOT a thread about that BS matt furey book. just wondering if any of you train with a focus on fight conditioning. i know it used to be one of my favorite ways to work out back in the day. feel free to post specific exercises, workouts, your opinion on this kind of training, etc.

cathal
Mar 21, 2008, 12:19 PM
ye i do sessions of combat conditioning. this is my format:

sprint 100 metres, 30 pushups, jog 50 metres, sprint 100 metres, 30 crunches, jog 50 metres, sprint 100 metres, 20 pullups

rest 3 mins

repeat 4-5 times

i sometimes do this with my beltkit and a small rucksack weighing 20lbs

very effective training
what did you do?

mma425
Mar 21, 2008, 06:33 PM
i used to love all kinds of circuits including weighted/unweighted pullups, sprints, tabata heavybag work, kettlebell exercises, dips, plyometrics, etc (obviously not in that order haha, those are just some exercise examples).

bushibanguy
Apr 14, 2008, 02:59 PM
Really all my exercises are focused on conditioning for my martial arts ex: Knuckle hopper push-ups to condition knuckles and strengthen wrists, Shadowboxing to warm up etc.

Personally I loved Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey
I read it in one sitting and immediately started on the royal court exercises
Why do you think it is BS?

Dominator350
Apr 14, 2008, 03:08 PM
what are knuckle hopper pushups? You should try planche on knuckles, best and safest way to strengthen your wrists and knuckles.

Oldboy
Apr 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
I like training in the same format that I am going to fight. So if I have 5 minute rounds or matches, I'll set my work period to the same. I'll take several compound movements and either perform a specific number of repetitions with each one, or perform them for time until I hit the target time I'm shooting for. Quick example.

Burpees
Mountain Climbers
Rope Sprints or Double Unders
Pushups
Jumping Lunges.

You could do each for 1 minute, giving you a five minute round. Repeat as necessary for a great workout.

mma425
Apr 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
is your name "oldboy" named after the korean movie? if so, major props haha that movie is incredible.

in response to bushibanguy's question- i believe the book is BS because it offers nothing new, is overpriced, and i am not a fan of matt furey at all.
to each his own, though.

Oldboy
Apr 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
is your name "oldboy" named after the korean movie? if so, major props haha that movie is incredible

Indeed it is, indeed it is. That movie is like a darker, grittier "Count of Monte Cristo" story. Truly a masterpiece.

bushibanguy
Apr 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
I can understand the overpriced reasoning

To tor350: By knuckle hoppers I simply mean push-ups on the knuckles where i push off the ground and punch the ground when I come back down.

And what is planche?

mma425
Apr 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
masterpiece indeed.

joebob
Apr 14, 2008, 10:05 PM
a planche is kind of like a pushup without using your legs, so as it sounds its pretty hard and takes a lot of training to do.

bushibanguy
Apr 14, 2008, 10:07 PM
Do you mean like a handstand push-up?

joebob
Apr 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
here take a look at this video on this web page it shows some training for how to work up to planches and at the very end the guy does a full planche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbLSgWMJec

bushibanguy
Apr 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thank you very much!!
As a martial artist balance is essential, so any exercise that can help develop balance as well as strength in a lot of muscle groups is exactly what I need.
These are going straight into my workout routine!

STILLIREMAIN
May 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
i WOULDN'T MIND A FEW TIPS MY MAN, I'M CURRENTLY TRAINNING JUST TO STAY IN SHAPE. MY FIRST LOVE IS BOXING AND THEN MARTIAL ARTS. I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN A FEW MORE SUBMISSION MOVES.

Jetjaguar
May 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
guard sit ups hanging from a heavy bag is a good one. standing up with a partner holding you in guard is another; sort of like deadlifts.

Big Jew
May 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Indeed it is, indeed it is. That movie is like a darker, grittier "Count of Monte Cristo" story. Truly a masterpiece.

I nominate that movie for the best use of a claw hammer in any fight scene ever made. Awesome film.

I would say most of my training has always been martial arts focused.
Nothing inspires a cardio workout better for me then avoiding getting hit or submitted.

emperor zombie
Jun 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
rossboxing.com
check that site.

if your event is 5 min rounds with 1 min rest, train for that time.
i use a heart rate monitor to track my heartrate between rounds to gage my recovery. trains you to recover. i got in really good shape doing this.