PDA

View Full Version : BR Jiu-jitsu help.

Martial
Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 AM
I recently started up classes in BJJ and Judo, and mostly practiced on the basics of "rolling" on the mat. At first, it was alright, pretty tiresome, got a bit sore. But after the first hour or so, I got a pretty nasty pain in the side of my right rib. I continued to practice for about 3 more hours. It's my first class in the subject, so I'm not sure what to think... but it's not too easy to move at all anymore, or breathe without some pain (tried jogging, and almost died).

Or I could just be a whiny newbie that doesn't know that this is a sport that should hurt... a lot. All I know is that the day after, and a few hours after, it still hurts like a bitch (and only this spot of my body).

If anyone knows a way to reduce the pain, speed up recovery, or common injuries... well it'd be appreciated.

Alan
Feb 12, 2008, 08:15 AM
Is there any reason to think it is not a cracked rib?

Martial
Feb 12, 2008, 10:51 AM
Well, we didn't do anything too extremely intensive. I can only remember one instance when some guy who was 230 lbs at least, got me in his guard, and almost squeezed the life out of me (I'm 155 lbs).

Alan
Feb 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well, we didn't do anything too extremely intensive. I can only remember one instance when some guy who was 230 lbs at least, got me in his guard, and almost squeezed the life out of me (I'm 155 lbs).

Well, not to hard to connect the dots on this one.

Martial
Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
Or is it...(dramatic music)...

I'd rather think it's my lack of experience in physical sports, but I'll get an xray after a few more days.

cheesedog
Feb 12, 2008, 03:20 PM
Most likely it's just a pulled muscle in the rib area (which can be very painful!) but if the pain doesn't subside in a few days check with a M.D..

crazydan
Feb 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
agree with cheesedog. BTW u practice for 4 hours? that crazy

Martial
Feb 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
It wasn't 4 hours straight. It was around 16 sessions of rolling with some practice exercises throughout. It was my first experience with the sport so...

I'm considering going back about Thursday to Judo (then BJJ). How long would a pulled muscle set me out, or what measures would I take to have it heal faster?

Martial
Feb 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
It was a fractured rib. Need to rest for 2-3 weeks they said.