PDA

View Full Version : Weekly training routine for explosive hitting power and strength gain.

loneblade
Jan 03, 2008, 12:08 PM
I am trying to come up with a new routine that will build some hitting power. I've already made a post in http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7790 , but I was hoping I can get some opinions from people who may only visit this catagory of the forum. I worked on a 3 days a week burpee conditioning routine for over half a year, and now I'm looking for something more. Being someone who's naturally lean, I am hoping for something that will put on some strength and mass, but am afraid of sacrafising conditioning and speed while maintaining the same workout schedule. Thus, I've been attempting to come up with a routine that will do the following:

Build strength
Make me bigger
Build explosiveness, especially lower body
Atleast maintain speed
Maintain or hopefully increase stamina

Please post any opinions or recommendation. The link provided above has my current version of the workout, while cheesedog posted a routine that looks awesome for strength gain. Is there anyway to combine all of these routines in a 3 day manner?

brent71
Jan 05, 2008, 09:03 AM
If we are talking bodyweight only then one arm pushups are the go for hitting and one leg squats for lower body. Both can be performed explosively(e.g. progressing to clapping pushups) although you may have to start with two arms/legs and work your way up. You should train every day, 5-7 sets and between 2-12 reps per set. Rest up to 2 minutes between sets and do not go to failure...for power and speed you always want to leave a bit in the tank.

I<3Pandas
Jan 05, 2008, 02:32 PM
Well, what I've seen while strength training is a little gain in mass if you eat big and right. It mostly is muscle density though. As for your plan here's something I've found off rossboxing.

Monday: Skill training Conditioning drills

Tuesday: Sparring Skill training Core training

Wednesday: Shadow boxing - Strength training - Plyometrics

Thursday: Sparring Skill training Core training

Friday: Skill training Conditioning drills

Saturday: Shadow boxing - Strength training Plyometrics Core training
Sunday: Rest

Just pick the right exercises. You'll have it fine! I also have this PDF of a whole 6 week program to punching harder. It covers it all, it gives you weight training to follow and plyometrics and core stuff and even hand speed stuff!

brent71
Jan 07, 2008, 01:17 AM
Good point. I guess my suggestion focussed primarily on the strength/ plyometric side of things which will definitely increase hitting power but skill and speed training should not be neglected. True power is generated through correct technique but you also have to be able to effectively land the punch as well. In this respect you need to look at the development of power in the context of the fight which can be very unpredictable. Power is not going to be much use unless you also have the speed and timing to go with it. Speed and timing are also going to be influenced by what your opponent is doing. I guess it also depends on the nature of the fight..are we talking sport or street? Different story when rules are out the window. When you are punching someone in the throat for example power becomes secondary to timing and accuracy. I dont necessarily have to hit you very hard to disable you(e.g punch to the groin). Part of the reason that i love fighting/martial arts is that we have to almost cover all the bases. We must have strength, power, endurance, speed, stamina, timing etc etc. If we ignore any one area in preference for another that will undoubtedly be that area that contributes to us losing the fight.