PDA

View Full Version : Sample karate program of Bruce Lee

ACAntonelli04
Dec 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
I recently rented a book from the Library called "The Tao of Gung Fu" made by Bruce Lee. I am still early in the book, but i flipped through to about midway and found this sample training routine some of you may find helpful if you are self training in combat.

PUNCHING: Air punching-3 times of 50 each
Sand Plate(hard surface)- 3 times of 50 each
Hanging bag- 3 times of 50 each

KICKING: Leg stretching
Forward stretch-3 times of 12 each
side stretch-3 times of 12 each

Straight kick-3 times of 12 each
Side kick- 3 times of 12 each
Kicking form-3 times each

...Freestyle Practice

Those 3 dots symbolize the space of the routine I left out due to its irrelevance to an untrained mind. I am still early in the book, but so far have found it helpful in realizing the mind is just as important if not more then the body in combat, and training.

olinek
Dec 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Is this what he wrote during his time studying Philosophy at University??

Myself I got his Tao of Jeet Kune Do for christmas but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

ACAntonelli04
Dec 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
This was written when he was 23. I dont know whether he was still in school, but I would believe so. Bruce himself never saw the book published because he was so busy, then he died. Most of what he wrote in the book he did on airplanes, or in the car on his way to things.

Pawel20
Jan 02, 2008, 04:40 AM
It's gung fu as you stated, not karate as you have in the title.

mbt9000
Jan 28, 2008, 09:12 AM
whats Sand Plate(hard surface)?

please write back...

DragonsLee
Feb 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
Please Please read the Tao and please don't refer to what Bruce created as Karate. He started writing the Tao of Jeet Kune Do when he was recovering from a back injury, due to his knowledge that the martial arts at that time had its flaws. His goal was not to create a new form of martial arts but a new way of thinking within them. A good book for some insight on his philosophy would be The Warrior Within, I recommend it if your interested in self awareness and growth.

boris
Mar 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
go to www.karateconnection.com (http://www.karateconnection.com)

you will see a PDF on Bruce's training that you will find interesting.

Dominator350
Mar 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
i admire his training etiquette... but the man simply had too much time on his hands... and destroyed himself.

daeinwolf
Mar 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
i admire his training etiquette... but the man simply had too much time on his hands... and destroyed himself.

Could not agree more.

cheesedog
Mar 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
VERY good point! He was LITERALLY driven, never allowing himself any rest or down time. He talked about Daoist philosophy but apparently missed the central theme of balance.

Journeyman
Jul 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that's punching a hard surface to toughen the hands