PDA

View Full Version : Aikido?

timfortehwin
Dec 26, 2007, 05:55 AM
I was thinking of taking up (Shun Poo Kan) Aikido, as I've always wanted to learn an MA and I like the style of this, where it focuses a lot on technique.

I was just asking if other people have studied any forms of Aikido and how they found it? Thanks very much.

Big Jew
Dec 26, 2007, 11:03 AM
Aikido is great stuff.

The MA centers around a lot of locks and throws.
Good Aikido looks effortless when throwing someone across a room.

Its not a style thats into lots of kicks, punches, or grappling. Its closer to Judo.
You will spend much time learning to fall.

BrutalityisLaw
Dec 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
Aikido is the art of using someone elses aggresiveness/ strength against them. Hence why it looks so easy. good stuff as long as it isnt steven seagul!

mer de noms
Dec 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
I love aikido and think its a very fun art to practice, the dojo atmosphere can be a lot more relaxed than in some other martial arts. But I don't think of aikido as a practical fighting art. Mostly because to me aikido is more of a physical manifestation of Morihei Ueshiba's philosophy on life. It's passive and likes to remain still using someone eases aggressiveness against them, to neutralize an opposing outside force and guide it to where it wants to go while at the same time remaining centered. Its a beautiful art to watch and practice and can teach you a lot about life and yourself, as well as help you with other martial arts you may practice. But plan to practice a lot because it takes time to develop correct skill in aikido.

olinek
Dec 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
I have always found it fascinating. It seems it is a Martial Art that can not be separated from its philosophy. To understand Aikido and be "good" at it, you need to understand, embrace and apply its philosophy.

cheesedog
Dec 28, 2007, 02:29 AM
True, it does (at least for most people) take a fairly long time to learn to use Aikido effectively, but the results can be worth it. I would add some type of striking and ground training to it however.

lusch3
Dec 29, 2007, 09:20 AM
if you have understand the basic priniciples everybody who wants to hurt you have to be careful, but this can took a while (> 3/4 year of intense training). i like it very much too, but couldn't practise it for a while, i hope next year will be more satisfying in that direction ;).

sulsa
Dec 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
A friend of mine is a 4th degree black belt in Aikido. As far as aikido goes, he is very good.
I come from 7 years in Hwarangdo. (A drop in the bucket for many practitioners of martial arts in this forum for sure.) Hwarangdo is about as extensive as you can get in strikes, kicks and joint locks. The joint locks in Hwarangdo are always studied in their combat/destuctive style. Just like you would expect to study kicks and hand strikes. In Aikido, working out with my friend one day, I grew frustrated with what seemed to be an ignorance about what these locks and throws were for. In my training, you were thrown as the only defense you had to having your wrist/arm destroyed. In Aikido there wasn't nearly the focus on technical proficiency of joint placement for a break, thus leading to a throw.
The other problem I have with Aikido is just what mer de noms touched on. It is an art that came from the enlightenment of a man who was an absolute badass. It's his epiphany. Not anyone else's. I am not convined that you can remove the training that he went through and keep his 'enlightened' version of combat, and then teach that to someone else. Combat is combat, and you train to the Nth degree to get as close to that as possible so you can be as prepared as you can be.
I look at Aikido vids and I cringe at the perception they have of what an attack really is.

I will say this: any study of combat where you learn about the human body and it's vulnerabilities is worthwhile. Please don't read this as anything more than my personal views and my experiences. :)

Czeckvar
Jan 01, 2008, 11:40 PM
I took Aikido for two years. If you have any interest in defending yourself, don't plan on doing it with aikido until you have studied it for at least five years. one must un learn all natural instincts that come from reacting to an attack....Go loose instead of tensing up...don't resist, go with.....needless to say, there is a very long learning curve associated with aikido. that being said, however, the blackbelts were untouchable....they might as well have had a forcefield around them. It is an art based on a sense of incredible timing and momentum

Pawel20
Jan 02, 2008, 04:32 AM
Honestly, whatever you did, I would definately NOT choose aikido. If you already have, well I got here too late I suppose. Technique is important, but don't be conned into doing things that only work with a compliant partner who lets you do silly locks and throws on him. If you're more interested in non-striking arts then I would heavily suggest going with Judo or BJJ.

I saw someone here wrote that if you want to use it for self defense purposes, expect around 5 years of training before reaching that goal.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF SHIT EVER! If you currently train Aikido and your instructors tell you that, run away and never go back. That's akin to a swim coach telling you it will take 5 years before you can learn how to swim.

Also, if they say anything about ki and you're looking for self defense, I hope you know better than that.

Pawel20
Jan 02, 2008, 04:36 AM
Oh also, if you decide on Aikido, at the very least spar with people of other disciplines to learn what will and will not actually work.

Raja
Jun 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
The style of Aikido I train mixes it with Muay Thai and Kali/Escrima. All the moves for belt tests and that are taught in class are based off of actual attacks. BUT this is not how most Aikido schools teach. There is a lot in the principles of Aikido, especially if you are a small guy, but most schools just don't teach it well.

biff145
Jun 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
I did Aikido for a couple of months about 2 years ago and man that stuff is hard to learn i was going to the sho-re-shobukan martial arts center in Lincoln, NE and it was an hours drive away and it just got to hard to make it. my sensei taught a lot of joint locks and emphasis on disarming your opponent and renderin him useless by twisting the shouilder round