PDA

View Full Version : mandatory wrestlign workout

crazydan
Dec 25, 2007, 08:46 PM
this workout is mandatory. i know it sucks but it is mandatory. what are some good rep ranges for me to do for each lift. BTW we do 1-2 sets of each lift after wreslting practice. thanks i appreciate it.
Squat
Arnold press
lateral raise
skullcrusher/french press
bench
calf raises
barbel rows
bicep curls

i posted similr workout in the workoutsection, but it is now mandatory or us to do it or we get kicked off the team. again thanks.

juggledex
Dec 26, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well, it isn't terrible, but I'd add clean for power/explosiveness and replace arnold with a military for a more natural motion. Nevertheless, I'd work with a standard hypertrophy range using a higher rep for shoulders and even higher for legs/calves. Note if there was a deadlift, I'd go with a lower range for that at around 6-8

Squat 15-20
Arnold press 12-15
lateral raise 12-15
skullcrusher/french press 8-12
bench 8-12
calf raises 15-20
barbel rows 8-12
bicep curls 8-12

timfortehwin
Dec 26, 2007, 05:58 AM
..seems more like a bodybuilding workout to me, but as Juggledex said, go for the hypertrophy range, and you will be sure to notice the differences.

Btw, aren't you doing any core strength/stability or at least hip mobility exercises in this routine?

crazydan
Dec 26, 2007, 12:16 PM
o we do ALOT of core in wrestling practice thanks guys.

crazydan
Dec 26, 2007, 01:12 PM
my coach also gave us the option to do this workout. go to this site http://www.strengthnspeed.com/Wrestling/WrestlingTips.htm#Weight%20Training%20for%20Wrestl ing aand click Weight training for wrestling
do you think this would be beter then the other one? it is 3x a week as opposed to 2 and i am very new to weight lifting so im afrid i might get to sore ater the workous. what do you think

timfortehwin
Dec 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
my coach also gave us the option to do this workout. go to this site http://www.strengthnspeed.com/Wrestling/WrestlingTips.htm#Weight%20Training%20for%20Wrestl ing aand click Weight training for wrestling
do you think this would be beter then the other one? it is 3x a week as opposed to 2 and i am very new to weight lifting so im afrid i might get to sore ater the workous. what do you think

Monday + Wednesday are good but Friday isn't so much..

crazydan
Dec 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
overall is it better than this one Squat 15-20
Arnold press 12-15
lateral raise 12-15
skullcrusher/french press 8-12
bench 8-12
calf raises 15-20
barbel rows 8-12
bicep curls 8-12
? and why is friday bad? tahnsk for the quick response

Fatman
Dec 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
Too many exercises. Three times a week? Doing 225 reps in a workout?

However, you don't have a choice. Try to lose some of the crap exercises if you can (like leg extensions... please... how do they translate into wrestling?).

But I understand you're limited with what you can do.

crazydan
Dec 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
ya i know my wrestling coach was a 4 year wrestler at penn stte ud think he owuld know a littl more abou weights. But w.e do you think that the second workout is better then the first tho?

cheesedog
Dec 27, 2007, 04:20 AM
Since you HAVE to do one or the other, I guess I would go with the second workout.

crazydan
Dec 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
i might be able to weasel my way out of doing it, but if i choose a different workout what would you recomened? mayby mark rippetoes 3x5? or would squtting 3x a week plus wreslting be a killer?

cheesedog
Dec 28, 2007, 02:27 AM
i might be able to weasel my way out of doing it, but if i choose a different workout what would you recomened? mayby mark rippetoes 3x5? or would squtting 3x a week plus wreslting be a killer?

After the first week you shouldn't have much soreness on Rippatoes routine, since you're doing lower rep sets and taking longer rest breaks between exercises. Are you trying to add mass or are you working for strength gains without mass gain? If you want to get stronger and stay in the same weight class I'd go with something like Pavel's PTP.

juggledex
Dec 28, 2007, 02:35 AM
Rippetoe's or Bill Starr's 5x5 would be great. I agree that first week may be killer for the squats. I suggest mixing up the front/back squat if the program you choose doesn't already call for it. Maybe even a powerlifting routine.

crazydan
Dec 28, 2007, 02:15 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate all the help. be sure to check out my new journal =)