PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai BW training.

Powlius
Nov 21, 2007, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone :)

Ok, i`m new here, i`m from Lithuania, but that doesn`t matter I think. :)
I want ask you smart peoples for BW training program for Thai boxing, i go to the thai boxing`s gym 3 times a week, and 1 day per week i go to the gym with barbells etc(where i train VERY lil`bit of bodybuilding).

So i want program to train at home, to have better, stronger punch and everything else needed in MT and street fights.

So, i run about 20 min in the street(as cardio) or sometimes i jump with a rope...With cardio everything is ok, but can you guys write me what i must do? I mean a training program.

e.g. some people say that it`s best with pushups to do VARIOUS pushups for about 5 minutes(for some people it maybe too much, others can do them over 8 minutes) without stopping...

Anyway, I think you get my mind, so people who really know that it works(well, almost everything works if YOU work HARD on that), write any programs :)

cheesedog
Nov 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Welcome Powlius!

Don't waste any training time bodybuilding! Isolation exercises are useless for a fighter. On the one day you do weights, do this:
1. Power Clean, 5 x 3
2. Deadlift, 3 x 5
3. Bench Press, 3 x 5
For 3 weeks, then on the fourth week do a week of easier training, then do 3 weeks of:
1. Squat, 3 x 5. FULL DEEP SQUATS, none of that half squat crap!
2. Overhead Press, 3 x 5
3. Bent Row, 3 x 5
And just continue this cycle.

On the other days, do high intensity bodyweight circuits with either sprints of jump rope, something like this:

1. Sprint or jump rope x 1 minute
2. Pike pushups, divebombers, or handstand pushups
3. Pullups or Chinups
4. Full Squat Jumps
5. Dips
6. Hyperextensions
7. Weighted Situps
Just like the weight workout, every fourth week should be an easier week to promote recovery and decrease chances of injury.

If you have any questions ask away!

Chico
Nov 21, 2007, 09:30 PM
Welcome Powlius!

Don't waste any training time bodybuilding! Isolation exercises are useless for a fighter. On the one day you do weights, do this:
1. Power Clean, 5 x 3
2. Deadlift, 3 x 5
3. Bench Press, 3 x 5
For 3 weeks, then on the fourth week do a week of easier training, then do 3 weeks of:
1. Squat, 3 x 5. FULL DEEP SQUATS, none of that half squat crap!
2. Overhead Press, 3 x 5
3. Bent Row, 3 x 5
And just continue this cycle.

On the other days, do high intensity bodyweight circuits with either sprints of jump rope, something like this:

3. Pullups or Chinups
4. Full Squat Jumps
5. Dips
6. Hyperextensions
7. Weighted Situps
Just like the weight workout, every fourth week should be an easier week to promote recovery and decrease chances of injury.

I would just add a little something that would be a good addition for his explosive strength needed for muay thai, nothing big.
Abusing the static-dynamic is the best way to get fast results with power.
Here is what you should do :

After each set of deadlift : do 8-12 reps of squat jumps, knee tucks or lunge jumps, you can use 1 of these 3 after each set, you can also variate.

After each set of bench press : do 8 clap pushups, focus on getting as much airtime as possible, OR throw a light medicine ball to the wall doing the same motion as a punch i.e : jab or straight. 6-8 reps each arm, focus on throwing with as much power as possible, with good punching technique.

After each set of squat : Do the same jumps as mentionned for the deadlift.

Edit : Add some core rotation strength with decline russian twists, click on that link for an example of the exercise : http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q11Uj_MpgP0

Do this with weight of course, it has to be challenging, it will develop a good punching power as your power comes mainly from your body, a good part of it is your rotational core.

cheesedog
Nov 22, 2007, 02:22 PM
Good call on the plyo's, Chico.

crazydan
Nov 24, 2007, 03:59 PM
do you have any reletives or anything haave them punch you in the stomach(lightly) to toughen up your abs. alos for the plyos wen they get easy put a backpack full of books or something on to addweight

BrutalityisLaw
Nov 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
Aviod overdoing regular pushups, especially if you don't even them out with pullups and chins. Add some hanging leg raises(this will help with knees and kicks). Also I don't knwow hat you do for work but if it involves any kind of labor work this will help to. Try to work in your stance. This is something I learned from my dad(He did Shotokan) When I did landscaping I always had my fighting stance with everything(I do MMA so I used a wide base) But this is just an example of how to work training into work :) Also some twisting exercises would be good for the obliques.

Powlius
Nov 26, 2007, 11:18 AM

3. Pullups or Chinups
4. Full Squat Jumps
5. Dips
6. Hyperextensions
7. Weighted Situps

And approximately how much(sets, or just how much) of each exercise i must do?

5. Dips
6. Hyperextensions - I can`t do those two at home, what else I can do to cahnge them?

And btw, i can do this every day?(well, almost every)

CrazyDan, at home i don`t have any partners to work with... :(

Erik
Nov 26, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hyperextensions - lie on the floor with your toes under something and raise up from there.

Dips - use a chair to put your hands on and another for your feet. It will not be full range of motion, but you'lll get some good work out of them.

cheesedog
Nov 26, 2007, 02:57 PM
Since you're doing weights one day a week, I would do the BWE on two other days, say on a M-W-F OR T-TH-SAT type schedule. Try to do 3 circuits of the exercises. As for reps, do as many as you can WITH GOOD FORM. NO bouncing or cheating.

Powlius
Nov 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
And one more question, maybe anyone knows where i can download this book: Ross Enamait - Never Gymless, i was searching over the internet, but i found nothing :(, also tried to buy it in my town, didn`t found it...I don`t want to buy books via internet :?

Erik
Nov 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Buying books on the internet works out fine. In fact, I recommend it.

Of course, I'm a writer ;).

Powlius
Nov 30, 2007, 10:34 AM
Well anyway if anyone have that book, and can send me it(or can say where i can get it), please write me :)

And btw, maybe i can add burpees to my workout?(well im planning 2 or 3 different workouts, i mean with different excercises)

Chico
Dec 06, 2007, 08:56 AM
You probably will not find Ross' book on internet, you should buy it, 25 bucks for gold.

Tenthghost
Dec 26, 2007, 03:01 PM
anymore info on training to help with muay thai as im looking to sehd about 30kg in the new year and compete

Pawel20
Jan 02, 2008, 04:47 AM
Some people mentioned Ross, and honestly tabata intervals might be key to your workout: http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html

They can replace your cardio and will without a doubt get you very tired very fast.

As for the person who wants to download the book...why not just buy it and help the guy out, he obviously has a great product and should be rewarded for that.

GuroKevin
Feb 06, 2008, 06:40 AM
As for the person who wants to download the book...why not just buy it and help the guy out, he obviously has a great product and should be rewarded for that.

I completely agree with you.