PDA

View Full Version : toughening ribs/sides/abs

crazydan
Nov 03, 2007, 03:23 PM
what do you guys do for this? i usualy do lots of ab workouts and oblique workouts and drop med balls on these parts and i do body boxing. any body else do anything for them?

BrutalityisLaw
Nov 03, 2007, 03:30 PM
Get hit with a 2 x 4 in the obliques.....

juggledex
Nov 03, 2007, 03:37 PM
my muay thai buddies sit on the end of a bench, lean back and hold upper body suspended, and light contact punch in the abs, obliques, etc. We did this some Friday. The punching shouldn't be so hard it's killing you so much as allowing you to protect yourself with tensing and breathing.

crazydan
Nov 03, 2007, 04:19 PM
my muay thai buddies sit on the end of a bench, lean back and hold upper body suspended, and light contact punch in the abs, obliques, etc. We did this some Friday. The punching shouldn't be so hard it's killing you so much as allowing you to protect yourself with tensing and breathing.

thanks i didnt think of that one.

Big Jew
Nov 03, 2007, 05:11 PM
I've been out of MMA practice for almost two months now.
Got my cartilidge dislocated in my rib from a punch.

I don't think there's any real way to way to toughen ribs. unfortunately

Dominator350
Nov 03, 2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah i could never see how hitting your stomach with a medicine ball could strengthen it... it would just give you a feeling of getting hit in the stomach with some structural damage as a side effect.

Erik
Nov 03, 2007, 09:43 PM
There was a guy I met who talked about a technique called "stacking" where you compressed your torso to remove the spaces in between the ribs. Removed the flexibility and changed the ribs from a cage into the wall.

I have no idea how he did it, but I did see him take a good, solid punch from someone who I know hits hard right in his ribs. Maybe someone else out there knows, because I'd be curious to find out.

timfortehwin
Nov 04, 2007, 09:44 AM
Russian Twists are useful for strengthening your intercostal muscles.

Chin ups (palms inwards) are also useful for this.

Dominator350
Nov 04, 2007, 09:56 AM
Anybody here do L holds?

Fatman
Nov 04, 2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah. I do L-sits (like the end bit of a dip, only your legs are in front of you) and press-outs from this position (like a limited range dip, but it's still hard as s***). Also l-sit pullups and chinups. Those are good for strength as they increase resistance, but I'm not training to toughen my obliques so I wouldn't know how ell they work for this purpose.

crazydan
Nov 04, 2007, 12:02 PM
what do you guys think of body boxing? or you hold your hands above your head and then you lightly and work up just let someone hit you in the body where you usually get hit.

Dominator350
Nov 04, 2007, 12:11 PM
Whatever wrks like i said it seems to be only a mental thing. I can't see it having any positive effect on your body. But it could work. I use a fog machine and wear a gas mask to wear when i train to simulate fighting in a gas attack so whatever works best eh... whatever gives you... THAT EDGE...

BrutalityisLaw
Nov 05, 2007, 01:58 PM
Whatever wrks like i said it seems to be only a mental thing. I can't see it having any positive effect on your body. But it could work. I use a fog machine and wear a gas mask to wear when i train to simulate fighting in a gas attack so whatever works best eh... whatever gives you... THAT EDGE...

Nerve adaption, your nerves keep your muscles semi contracted. It's the same effect as to lifting heavy, the nerve adaption. It has a good benefit for fighters.

deadgame1
Dec 13, 2007, 03:22 AM
conditioning like anything else.i work with a couple cambodian guys and they said when they were little in their country they kick banana trees and then on to bamboo.same thing with ribs and midsectionhave a buddy clinch up like muaythia clinch you hold elbows up like in a pushup and have them put knees and kicks to your body.im not talking full on enough to where you feel the impact and breath and tighten up like normal on impact!hurts yeah but hey thats the price you pay

Journeyman
Jul 12, 2008, 08:07 AM
That's cool, sounds like something crazy shaolin monks would do.

But is that even physically possible?

deadgame1
Jul 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
is what possible?

Journeyman
Jul 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
Look at Erik's post about rib contraction that I responded to.

'Stacking' the ribs seems physically impossible to me, but it would be awesome if you could do it

DutchMaster
Aug 25, 2008, 01:40 AM
yea im watching this show now that talks about how ufc fighters do that for there ribs and muy thai people back in the day kicked trees