PDA

View Full Version : Ninjustu - Tai-Justu

Ninja X
Nov 01, 2007, 01:18 PM
hey - does anyone know where i can learn/study the art of ninjust / tai-jutsu. Ive searched endlessly for a long time and the closest place to me is 50miles away and i have no money! So i want to learn the art from reading and pictures and practice it myself in my own time. Can anyone help me?

Dominator350
Nov 01, 2007, 02:04 PM
You ask for some crazy stuff...

I'm not sure anybody can help you you seem to be changing what you do every week. Have you ever even stuck with something long enough to actually find out if it works? I believe any martial art or whatever requires some commitment. Would you tell your sensei a week after he agrees to teach you that your not interested anymore?
You should really focus on something basic like reaching a certain strength or athletic achievement. Your asking us to tell you how to do something that would take YEARS.
Ask a more practical achievement that constitutes to this goal of becoming a ninja.

Erik
Nov 01, 2007, 02:15 PM
Any martial art is easier to study if you have a place to learn.

If you can't get that, hit the local library and look for books, but be aware that most of what you learn will be slightly different than what you will get taught in a school, also, it's a lot harder to do it right without someone who knows what they are doing to correct you.

To become truly good at a martial art, you need people to practice with and an instructor who knows what they're doing. You can learn martial arts from books, but find someone to practice with and be careful.

Ninja X
Nov 01, 2007, 02:30 PM
You ask for some crazy stuff...

I'm not sure anybody can help you you seem to be changing what you do every week. Have you ever even stuck with something long enough to actually find out if it works? I believe any martial art or whatever requires some commitment. Would you tell your sensei a week after he agrees to teach you that your not interested anymore?
You should really focus on something basic like reaching a certain strength or athletic achievement. Your asking us to tell you how to do something that would take YEARS.
Ask a more practical achievement that constitutes to this goal of becoming a ninja.

Sorry for not being straight forward, its just hard times right now for me and i want to get started doing what i want to do, i know what i want its all in my head but when i write it out it may seem confusing or i dont write the full story. What i want to is : Study and practice Ninjutsu/Tai-Jutsu, Study and practice Parkour and Study and practice effective bodyweight training. I dont want to just learn how to jump higher for example i want to know whats behind it, like how and why that makes the jump higher. Ive been changing up my ideas admitidly, i just want to find a good martial arts/parkour workout to build base strength then go on to improve all areas: strength,speed,explosivness, endurance,balance,flexabilty constantly.

Nothings really "off the ground" like up and running at the moment, right now im doing a hell of alot of research.

Dominator350
Nov 01, 2007, 02:53 PM
Knowing what makes you jump higher though will not make you jump higher. It all comes back to basics is what im saying. Ultimatley, plyometric exercises are what will make you jump higher.

olinek
Nov 01, 2007, 03:14 PM
I disagree with the above post. Research is really important to effective training.

I enjoy reading a lot about exercise topics and the physics of it and what not.

About ninjiutsu, I don't think I would really trust anyone at all claiming to teach ninjutsu these days, assuming you want to learn what they used X number of years ago. On the other hand, you could try piecing it together yourself (I don't mean classic ninjutsu but some system that works for you and your goals).

ex: I don't think you need to learn to punch from ninjutsu to punch. Most if not all martial art systems have developed essentially the same punch. There are differences but you can learn more than 1 and see what works. Parkour is an excellent system/philosophy with Ninja as well In my opinion. "moving as efficiently as possible". Learn how to vault and what not from them. Yoga that hasn't been washed out by lame ass North American, pregnant, new ageish women is an effective way to train flexibility and mental control. ETC ETC ETC.

I'm sure there are places on the internet that offer advice on stealth and what not. Absorb skills from everywhere as long as they work. They will be useful.

Dominator350
Nov 01, 2007, 03:27 PM
Research will help. Ultimately... Practice makes perfect.

olinek
Nov 01, 2007, 03:30 PM
But thats where research comes in, because you have to know what to practice, so that you don't kill yourself practicing.

ex: doing plyometrics as your workouts all the time. This is no good for your body.

Dominator350
Nov 01, 2007, 03:38 PM
yeah thats true. I myself don't do them enough.

Ninja X
Nov 01, 2007, 04:14 PM
I disagree with the above post. Research is really important to effective training.

I enjoy reading a lot about exercise topics and the physics of it and what not.

About ninjiutsu, I don't think I would really trust anyone at all claiming to teach ninjutsu these days, assuming you want to learn what they used X number of years ago. On the other hand, you could try piecing it together yourself (I don't mean classic ninjutsu but some system that works for you and your goals).

ex: I don't think you need to learn to punch from ninjutsu to punch. Most if not all martial art systems have developed essentially the same punch. There are differences but you can learn more than 1 and see what works. Parkour is an excellent system/philosophy with Ninja as well In my opinion. "moving as efficiently as possible". Learn how to vault and what not from them. Yoga that hasn't been washed out by lame ass North American, pregnant, new ageish women is an effective way to train flexibility and mental control. ETC ETC ETC.

I'm sure there are places on the internet that offer advice on stealth and what not. Absorb skills from everywhere as long as they work. They will be useful.

Everytime i see a post from you it seems to be like you have the same mind as me, like you know what i want to achieve. I have my workout now (from the other post you've seen), and i now know how to meditate :)

As for fighting arts i have what i know about karate from when i was younger, i have bruce lee's art of gung-fu coming tomorrow. I guess its going to be a case of taking different things from different arts and putting them together into my own personal art.

Im going to research and experiment and post my results online.

Do you know of a good stretching routine i can do every morning and night? I need to increase my flexabilty.

olinek
Nov 01, 2007, 07:09 PM
Yea my dad does ashtanga yoga so he tells me stuff and I take what I want from it.

Firstly, when stretching, you gotta do it right or you can actually hurt yourself and do more harm than good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ujjayi_breath Read that. It is one of many breathing techniques. It is the one I am most familiar with and utilize when stretching, and also meditating. This is also the style of breathing performed by shaolin monks in Qi Qong, if you have ever heard of that.

The main idea is you are breathing using your abdomen/diaphragm, not puffing your chest out. You draw air in through the nose using diaphragm and push it to the bottom of your lungs with your abdomen. So you fill your lungs from bottom to top. If you read that and maybe more or some youtube you will figure it out. It is spelled "Ujjayi".

Now as for stretching there is so much stuff, you will have to figure out what you need to work on. Before workout during warm up I stretch dynamically by rotating all my joints: (neck, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, spine by doing trunk twists, knees, ankles and where your leg attaches your body whatever that is called lol).

After workout I stretch statically, especially body parts I trained that day. (at the moment I dont use full body workouts, I have it split up into push/pull/legs,core).

For some reason I approach my flexibility like I do my strength as in I have certain goals and concentrate on them. I dunno if I'm the only one who does this, probably but o well. For example my goals are to be able to sit in a full butterfly sit and also eventually do the side splits and front splits, so I do those before I go to bed and if I remember, in the morning.

Other than that I don't really know what to say. Look around on the internet you will find some stretches/poses and after trying them you will know where you are more flexible and less flexible. Concentrate on your form, for example when bending forward to touch your toes DON'T bend at the spine, bend at the hips with a sucked in stomach. If your hamstrings are tight bend your knees till it isn't so uncomfortable, on exhalation, loosen and sink deeper into the stretch. This method really applies to all stretches.

If you have any questions about specific stretches/poses I may be able to help you more or ask my dad. Maybe sometime I'll take some pictures of me stretching and upload them to show you what I do.

dlhjr1970
Nov 01, 2007, 08:49 PM
ninja-x; sorry this is my very first message in the forume, but please 1st decide what you want to do. From what I have read thus far, you are interested in Ninjitsu. Thats fine, thats a start. On a web site such as this, you will get opions from many types of people, you need to read what they say and decide if it best suites you, and your specific situation. I say this because, I've been were I did not know were my next meal was coming form. Instead of living in a hostel, I was renting a room off of a friend. Yet I still had passion to learn. You have something I did not have, the internet and this site. Q. do you have any knowledge of ninjitsu or any other form of martial art? Write down your specific goals, you will find ideas here on bwc. Would you be interested in learning another type of martial arts? Do you know what is out there, in terms of forms of martial arts? Here are some things for you to think about, let us know. let us know what you would like to learn about.....for myself I have some experience in american kenpo, Okanowian GoJuRyu, Boxing, and I've read some of the books writen by Bruce Lee...

dlhjr1970
Nov 01, 2007, 08:59 PM
ninja-x; sorry this is my very first message in the forume, but please 1st decide what you want to do. From what I have read thus far, you are interested in Ninjitsu. Thats fine, thats a start. On a web site such as this, you will get opions from many types of people, you need to read what they say and decide if it best suites you, and your specific situation. I say this because, I've been were I did not know were my next meal was coming form. Instead of living in a hostel, I was renting a room off of a friend. Yet I still had passion to learn. You have something I did not have, the internet and this site. Q. do you have any knowledge of ninjitsu or any other form of martial art? Write down your specific goals, you will find ideas here on bwc. Would you be interested in learning another type of martial arts? Do you know what is out there, in terms of forms of martial arts? Here are some things for you to think about, let us know. let us know what you would like to learn about.....for myself I have some experience in american kenpo, Okanowian GoJuRyu, Boxing, and I've read some of the books writen by Bruce Lee...

Ninja X
Nov 02, 2007, 03:20 PM

Thats a great post mate.

I know what i want - To study,learn and practice : Parkour, Ninjutsu/Tai-Jutsu, Meditation, Weight and BW Exercising.

Its just hard for me at the moment, but things are coming together nicely thanks to people from this site and my own research :)

The main problem is Ninjutsu - its so hard to find out about it so im going to take up another form of martial arts, im not sure what yet, im going to hunt arround my town and see what is being taught in my town then decide.

zenbeast
Nov 07, 2007, 07:44 PM
It sound like your focused toward the dark arts. Both arts are thievery arts, or environmental stealth arts. Both need a higher ability in body dynamics conditioning.
Did you look for a parkour group near you... Do you drive?.. They meet some times once a week and your daily free run is on you or you and a friend, or small group. Do you have a friend interested in those things.

As for the Tai jutsu.... That one is hard..
I see alot of video on Youtube with that one. You need a partner... It helps. And remember Tai-Jutsu would be highly honor bound. Do not hink you learn some thing with out a perspective change.... Well a perspective change might be good for you...

Other doors than Tai-Jutsu might open up. Other martial arts would be a good stepping stone for you too. Heck... in some styles of Pentjak silat they drive off 3 story buildings and drive through windows... Shadow arts again....Hint...

Fatman
Nov 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
You serious? You really about thievery and the "dark arts" of ninjutsu? I thought you were pursuing it merely as a form of physical recreation and learning some cool skills.

olinek
Nov 10, 2007, 01:14 PM
Lol no ninjutsu school is gonna teach you how you to infiltrate castles and assassinate opposition clan leaders anyways.

Fatman
Nov 11, 2007, 10:07 AM
Damn! I'll cancel my subscription to Absolute Assassin magazine, then :)

zenbeast
Nov 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
lol....And how about the magazine "Grandma's ninja cookies and 18 levels of poisonous pain"

;)

praenin
Nov 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
i do ninjutsu myself and i have to say learning it from a book is very difficult as it is with most martial arts but refferenceing books is good id go with books written by Dr. Masaki Hatsumi (grandmaster of the bujinkan) or Shoto Tanemura (grandmaster of the genbukan) there are a lot of other guys that no hat there talking about but i dont remember there names and avoid anything written by ashido kim (grandmaster of bullshit)

(http://www.geocities.com/mrdsouza/hatsumi.html)

Erik
Nov 28, 2007, 10:08 PM
"Ashida" Kim not Ashido and I was wondering when someone would bring up his name.

I bought a couple of his books back when I was young and impressionable, and yeah, I agree with your assessment, praenin.

praenin
Nov 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
i knew i had his name wrong o well. yea i got a book from him myself a couple years back what kid wouldnt by a book that shows you how to kill someone by just looking at him (i dont think that is actually what the book i bought was about i never actually read it)

Rayson
Nov 28, 2007, 11:56 PM
i knew i had his name wrong o well. yea i got a book from him myself a couple years back what kid wouldnt by a book that shows you how to kill someone by just looking at him (i dont think that is actually what the book i bought was about i never actually read it)

Do you ever check out Bullshido.com? I think you would like it there. ;)

praenin
Nov 29, 2007, 12:49 AM
yea i love that site

Fatman
Dec 08, 2007, 08:30 AM
Ah, I found some great Matt Furey reviews on that site. Kinda looked like something I would write, only more creative...

Blooming lotus
Dec 20, 2007, 09:18 PM
Thats a great post mate.

I know what i want - To study,learn and practice : Parkour, Ninjutsu/Tai-Jutsu, Meditation, Weight and BW Exercising.

Its just hard for me at the moment, but things are coming together nicely thanks to people from this site and my own research :)

The main problem is Ninjutsu - its so hard to find out about it so im going to take up another form of martial arts, im not sure what yet, im going to hunt arround my town and see what is being taught in my town then decide.

exactly. According to Hatsumi Sensei of bujinkan taijutsu fame though, and imo, theee last greatest current living ninja master that we know of, and almost en verbatim, 'it iis getting to a class or school and doing whatever else has to be done to make that happen', whereever that is in the world btw, 'that is an integral part of the journey' to of the dedication and focus and demonstration of heart toward it that makes it what it is and is . as is making peace with the universe if you can swing that.

if you're really looking for something that you can do for now, i highly recommend meditating on the philosophy of how jutsu movement began ( if not daoist movement which is from the same principal on martial terms, taichi a really good intro if it's the best you can do locally), in that it was conceived by watching snow fall on branches and at which point and lever distribution that limb movement and give point happened circularly, and kuji kiri is great traditonal ninjutsu way to put some time into that, of which an instruction manual shouldn't be too hard to find either in a book store list or on the net or in a library.
Right down to the prep period, there are some great stretches and movements and ninjutsu specific breathing techniques etc to accompany that.

Additionally to that,
I would also suggest working your condition. The more efficiently and diligently you do that, particularly with the circular movement and roms and sequences in mind, the closer you are going to get to the ninja mind and being able and programmed to be moving like that.

blooming tianshi lotus.

p.s. if you do get hold of some reading material by either Grandmaster mentioned, personally, i dont think it'd hurt you to read stuff from Ashida Kim to see what the differences are.
and in fact, I did exactly that myself.

peace.;).