PDA

View Full Version : jobs that help in MAs

crazydan
Oct 19, 2007, 09:07 PM
i want to get a job. but since im young i wont make much money so i might as well get one that will help me get stronger i heard farming and construction will help alot. any others?

juggledex
Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 PM
Bro, find something in metal work. Those guys have beast grip.

Erik
Oct 20, 2007, 08:19 AM
Working in a warehouse will make you stronger, or a lumber yard, or a brickyard. Construction is good, landscaping, anything where the job makes you move will make you stronger.

crazydan
Oct 20, 2007, 11:49 AM
alright thanks.

Fatman
Oct 20, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah... consider, however, that every guy I've ever known who worked in construction on brick-laying for a longer period of time (an entire career, as a matter of fact) developed chronic back and joint pain. EVERY SINGLE ONE. But in the short term (like a summer job) it would probably be OK.

olinek
Oct 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
No kidding, or planting trees too, crouching and bending over all day it would be impossible to remind yourself to keep good posture all the time. On the other hand you don't generally plant trees year round as a job, usually during the summer.

You could also do moving labour work. Lifting pianos is as good as any deadlifting session in the gym lol.

Big Jew
Oct 20, 2007, 05:01 PM
How young is young?

No matter what kind of job u do even a desk job u can still work out.
You just have to seeze those moments to do your thing.

crazydan
Oct 20, 2007, 05:41 PM
16 years okld

Big Jew
Oct 20, 2007, 07:51 PM
What ever you job you take on partcicularly a physically based one always mind your form when doing any strenous stuff.
That's where the strength building comes in play. Bad form on the job will not bring any conditioning just injuries.

Watch the guys you work with that have been doing it a while
chances are they not in shape because they are not fitness focused. You got to kind of think like a dancer so that you can gain strength in your movement with proper form.

Also unless there's descent places to eat near you bring your own healthy lunch. Hanging with the creww on lunch usually amounts to fast food or eating from a food truck that visits you on site aka "Roach Coach".

If you want to go the extra mile for yourself on the job....
Don't be shy about doing your own exercises in between duties. The guys may poke fun a bit, but its you who comes out winning.

Don't fall into the herd.

Chico
Oct 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
The army(reserve)
It is a partial time job, usually 2 weekends per month and full-time the summer.
I am in it, and there is the 13km march soon with 35+ lb backpack that we have to walk in under 2hours 26minutes, and almost every weekend we are working, they make us walk some km's, like 5km, 6km, 7km, tomorow is 8km and I love it. People are like '' Omg I won't come to work tomorow the march is TOO FUCKING CRAZY , THE Captain walks too fast ) Hahaha

This job is better than McDonald's at least, and what's cool is you KEEP learning. keeps your brain fresh for MA :D

BrutalityisLaw
Oct 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah... consider, however, that every guy I've ever known who worked in construction on brick-laying for a longer period of time (an entire career, as a matter of fact) developed chronic back and joint pain. EVERY SINGLE ONE. But in the short term (like a summer job) it would probably be OK.

Just like some old timer told me, "Men work in harsh conditions". I am fairly young (19) and have back pain already. Been landscaping since I was a little kid cause it's a family buisness. I always see it as a workout but now it's takign its affect. Bad posture is ALWAYS bound to happen landscaping IMO. After doing something for so long you're a mindless zombie anyways. Landscaping is a good job especially if they do things the old fashion way like I do with handtools just be smart and pay attention to your body. Construction might get you in shape depending what you're doing. try to become a laborer on almost any job.

sulsa
Oct 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
For a different take, I'll submit this:
I worked in a soap factory for years from 9-3pm so i could get to my studio and teach and work out. I scraped buy minimally to maximize my time in the studio. I suggest finding a simple, low key job that doesn't stress you out and make you dead tired by 5pm.
That way you don't wolf down a huge dinner before class or collapse on the couch when you get home after a day of digging ditches. Believe me, I understand what everyone is saying in here, but if you find a truly rewarding martial arts experience, let that be your workout. Not your job.

Chico
Oct 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
How about working in a place like McDonald, or anything that requires no Muscles at all -_-

You definitly will get stronger as you will get more rest from your workouts.

Thanks.

BrutalityisLaw
Oct 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
For a different take, I'll submit this:
I worked in a soap factory for years from 9-3pm so i could get to my studio and teach and work out. I scraped buy minimally to maximize my time in the studio. I suggest finding a simple, low key job that doesn't stress you out and make you dead tired by 5pm.
That way you don't wolf down a huge dinner before class or collapse on the couch when you get home after a day of digging ditches. Believe me, I understand what everyone is saying in here, but if you find a truly rewarding martial arts experience, let that be your workout. Not your job.

If only life was that easy....

hara_12
Oct 24, 2007, 09:14 AM
Ever thought of the military? Or personal training? I know that won't help you right now, but in a couple of years after you graduate they might be good choices.