PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson workout

weu1mack10
Aug 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
This was Mike Tyson workout when he was in his prime. He did this workout seven days a week.

5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
5pm: was a circuit of 200 sit ups, then 20-40 dips, then 50 push ups, then 20-40 dips, then 50 weighted shoulder shrugs. (repeat this 10 times)
8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
then watch TV and then go to bed.

Tell me what you think.

bretakmf
Aug 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
i think today's training methods are better. tyson was amazing, though, before he lost his focus...

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 10, 2007, 05:19 PM
everytime i see a fighters workout I wonder why they do isolation execises like shrugs in this case. What could shrugs make that big of a difference of? He seems to have a lack of leg strengthening. I know he ran and so on but that's more of endurance.

bretakmf
Aug 10, 2007, 05:20 PM
shrugs for strong traps--to help with absorbing shock from blows to the head.

crazydan
Aug 15, 2007, 01:59 AM
where did you get this workout from? also tyson had very strong legs you need strong legs to hit as hard as he did.

Fatman
Aug 15, 2007, 06:13 AM
So Tyson was huge and ripped without ever doing weights (apart from the shrugs)? I find that a bit incredible.

Boxers rarely do weighted leg training as far as I know; consequently they all have skinny legs, especially thighs. Tyson was no exception, although his square appearance might create an optical illusion of overall "blockiness" (plus you can't really see the top parts of their legs in a fight - they're covered by the shorts). Excess leg mass and chafing thighs would slow them down considerably and make skipping and hopping around the ring twice as taxing as it already is. Endurance work for legs is more likely, so the biking, running and skipping rope would have taken care of that.

crazydan
Aug 15, 2007, 02:32 PM
not true. most boxers do alot of leg trainning. power punches come from the legs.

mrdave100
Aug 15, 2007, 02:52 PM
I've seen video of him doing neck bridges, (pretty impressive to say the least). I don't believe that was all the training he ever did. No speed or heavy bag??? That certainly is not the training regimen that he had when Cus D'Amato was training him.

juggledex
Aug 15, 2007, 03:03 PM
It worked perfectly for him back in his prime.

Fatman
Aug 17, 2007, 06:44 AM
not true. most boxers do alot of leg trainning. power punches come from the legs.

I agree that they do, but what sort of training? Punches rely on power, not raw grinding strength that is used for squats and that develops huge legs. The size of boxes' legs suggests something more plyometrics-oriented, which would allow for power but not size.

crazydan
Aug 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
most boxers do squats but with low reps so they get power from it they also do plyometrics but alot of the power comes from the squats. also the only way to gain size is to eat more and low rep squats dont really make u gain much size anyway

cheesedog
Aug 17, 2007, 05:18 PM
most boxers do squats but with low reps so they get power from it they also do plyometrics but alot of the power comes from the squats. also the only way to gain size is to eat more and low rep squats dont really make u gain much size anyway

Yep, that's true from what I've seen. Boxers today do a lot of bodyweight squats for endurance, some plyo's for explosiveness, and some heavy low rep work for strength. Because they keep the weight work low rep, and all the other leg-intensive work they do, they typically don't get huge muscles.

Fatman
Aug 20, 2007, 02:53 AM
also the only way to gain size is to eat more and low rep squats dont really make u gain much size anyway

Heavy, low-rep squats worked pretty well for Dorian Yates. And I put on a couple inches on my thighs since switching to them. But you're right, heavy eating is more important.

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
That is one reason I dont like to do BB squats my legs are big enough already I dont need anymore mass on them. I try and stick to using kettlebells for leg work but I dont know if it will be enough.

crazydan
Aug 20, 2007, 07:18 PM
umm...youll only really get bigger if you eat more.

Sheepdog
Aug 20, 2007, 11:02 PM
I think most folks here will enjoy this article:

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0595/5b_todd.html

It's a little off topic but it sort of fits in. It's about the editor of Outside Magazine going to a fight trainer to shape up. The trainer is Marvin Hagler's former trainer.

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
umm...youll only really get bigger if you eat more.

I dont know man, My upperbody seems that way but my legs are different. I do lots of Bike riding and I ride almost like I was sprinting. Go real fast slow down real fast and uphills alot. I think that has alot to do with it plus genetics. My legs blow up and they're big enough already Like Mirko Crocop status. Think Im going to start doing more hindu squats see what happens.

crazydan
Aug 24, 2007, 01:00 AM
do you do any weights? if so wat rep range.

BrutalityisLaw
Aug 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
I mainly do kettlebells for legs, Pistols sometimes. Reps are usually in the teens usually around 15-20. I haven't been able to do kettlebells for about 3-4 weeks though. Hyperextended my thumb playing football, got a serious sprain and my trainer took his KB's home.

roblokcosimo
Sep 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
one of the hardest hitters - pound-for-pound - was Thomas Hearns, and he had a huge upper body but legs that looked like twigs. It's interesting how he got so much power with skinny legs...

bretakmf
Sep 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
lots of hard hitters with skinny legs--in thai boxing, too.

crazydan
Sep 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
lots of hard hitters with skinny legs--in thai boxing, too.

i guauruntee they have strong legs tho. just because they are skinny doesnt mean they are weak. are you trying to say legs dont make you punch hard?

bretakmf
Sep 25, 2007, 05:22 PM
i guauruntee they have strong legs tho. just because they are skinny doesnt mean they are weak. are you trying to say legs dont make you punch hard?

no--i was replying to this quote: "It's interesting how he got so much power with skinny legs..."

roblokcosimo
Sep 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
i'm sure they have strong legs, but no, strong legs don't make you punch hard.. do you think Lance Armstrong is a hard puncher? over say, Pacman? Lance's legs are incredibly strong but without technique and an upper body to match it means nothing. Check out a boxer's workout and see what muscles they focus on in calisthetics...some might do squats, but Ali didn't...Tyson did exercise bike but that's mainly for endurance. The proof is in the individual, not the theory

ps. i know a good punch is 40% legs, 35% torso and 25% arms, but the legs are the foundation and move the least, the quickness comes from the torso and arms. The legs should be firmly planted on the floor. A good technique for avoiding arm punching is to just hit a heavy bag with your elbow, using your legs and torso to twist into the bag. Then try the same motion including your arms

roblokcosimo
Sep 25, 2007, 05:43 PM
haha i just realised i contradicted myself about 5 times in my last post :) punching power is a tough subject!

postalsock
Sep 25, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yea maybe he did these things when he was 18, but now he does squats and deads. I see him doing it in the Beyond the Glory Mike Tyson

crazydan
Sep 27, 2007, 09:17 PM
i'm sure they have strong legs, but no, strong legs don't make you punch hard.. do you think Lance Armstrong is a hard puncher? over say, Pacman? Lance's legs are incredibly strong but without technique and an upper body to match it means nothing. Check out a boxer's workout and see what muscles they focus on in calisthetics...some might do squats, but Ali didn't...Tyson did exercise bike but that's mainly for endurance. The proof is in the individual, not the theory

ps. i know a good punch is 40% legs, 35% torso and 25% arms, but the legs are the foundation and move the least, the quickness comes from the torso and arms. The legs should be firmly planted on the floor. A good technique for avoiding arm punching is to just hit a heavy bag with your elbow, using your legs and torso to twist into the bag. Then try the same motion including your arms

partialy true. yes its true techinique= most important but legs are muc more important then arms.

BrutalityisLaw
Sep 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
It's all in the hips! It's all in the hips!!!

bretakmf
Sep 27, 2007, 10:34 PM
it's missing the mark to reduce the workings of a whole to a few parts. hips are important--the legs allow for the mechanics of hip shift and drive...the front, sides and back of waist are important--shoulders and arms, chest, back--all of it. good striking = the body working as a unified, coordinated, focused whole..

Fatman
Sep 28, 2007, 02:51 AM
Yeah. Hitting is pretty individual. I'm sure everyone knows skinny 5'7" guys who aren't "strong" in any of the areas mentioned above but who can still hit like steamrollers (I sure do).