PDA

View Full Version : TAIJI QUAN

redrebellion
Jun 03, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hi guys i m new to this section..........i am interested in bodybuilding and i thought martial arts are only for self defence...............only wen i was goin thru net i read abt TAIJI QUAN..........my doubt is in some places it is told as healing theraphy.....but in others it is told as martial arts...wich statement explains the truth????if it is martial arts how would it help to defend and attack????PLZ EXPLAIN.............. :roll: :roll: :roll:

koltz
Jun 03, 2007, 12:48 PM
Just a question , are you a communist or something?

wtf red rebellion?

Sepanto
Jun 03, 2007, 04:00 PM
TaiChi Chuan is basically a healing art, yet it may be used as a martial arts, thought it's quite a bad one at that.

cheesedog
Jun 03, 2007, 07:15 PM
TaiChi Chuan is basically a healing art, yet it may be used as a martial arts, thought it's quite a bad one at that.

Believe it or not, Tai Chi can be a very effective martial art. Unfortunately the vast majority of practitioners are only intersted in it's theraputic aspects and have little or no training in the martial side.

redrebellion
Jun 04, 2007, 11:41 AM
thanx cheesedog.but it doesnt look like it has any punches or something like that bcoz punches and kicks play a vital role in martial arts..................

redrebellion
Jun 04, 2007, 11:44 AM

wtf red rebellion?
WATZ UR PROBLEM dude??????

musky
Jun 04, 2007, 06:09 PM

wtf red rebellion?

I'd say hes asking a fair question, if you choose a name like that for a message board you should be prepared for people to ask why. If you don't want people asking that sort of thing, then don't put it out there.

Moonduck
Jun 04, 2007, 06:16 PM
thanx cheesedog.but it doesnt look like it has any punches or something like that bcoz punches and kicks play a vital role in martial arts..................

Not every MA is a striking art. Ask an aikidoka how many punches and kicks he uses.

Taiji Quan has a number of very effective grabs, sweeps, and some of the strongest pushes you will every see. And Taiji Quan sword forms can be very effective, if taught properly. Then again, it is exceedingly rare to see Taji quan taught as a combat art, as has already been noted.

Fatman
Jun 05, 2007, 07:55 AM

wtf red rebellion?

I'd say hes asking a fair question, if you choose a name like that for a message board you should be prepared for people to ask why. If you don't want people asking that sort of thing, then don't put it out there.

WTF why should it be anybody's business what sort of name someone uses in the forums. Some people here have offensive signs in their sigs and no one goes out of their way to ask them about it. If you're participating in a forum you should be tolerant and not ask questions like that, as it's totally unrelated to topic matter.

musky
Jun 05, 2007, 08:02 AM
WTF why should it be anybody's business what sort of name someone uses in the forums. Some people here have offensive signs in their sigs and no one goes out of their way to ask them about it. If you're participating in a forum you should be tolerant and not ask questions like that, as it's totally unrelated to topic matter.

Fair enough mate, this is a friendly forum we don't want conflict do we.

Moonduck
Jun 05, 2007, 11:13 AM
If you're participating in a forum you should be tolerant and not ask questions like that, as it's totally unrelated to topic matter.

Erm, it's not intolerant to ask a question. It's intolerance if you do not accept the answer.

redrebellion
Jun 05, 2007, 01:19 PM
Anyway usage of the word WTF by koltz is unnecessary here....he should have asked the question simply without that word.............

redrebellion
Jun 05, 2007, 01:29 PM
Thnax moonduck ........is there a martial art 'AIKIDOKA'..........

hara_12
Jun 05, 2007, 01:40 PM
An Aikidoka is a person that studies Aikido.

redrebellion
Jun 06, 2007, 01:29 PM
sorry......ok then wat s aikido :?: :?: :?:

koltz
Jun 06, 2007, 03:50 PM

wtf red rebellion?

Wtf I just asked.

I got many PMs about my siggy too , I have no idea who It might offend though.
(except the 'N' people and the 'M" people , none of which are known to be training or going online)

I don't go on a speech about tolerance , this has nothing to do with tolerance. I didn't come out of nowhere and bash the guy

redrebellion
Jun 06, 2007, 04:06 PM
k letz leave this name problem..........as i already told i m interested in BB is there any stress on time factor between tai chi and exercises??????if it is then watz the time gap????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Moonduck
Jun 07, 2007, 12:10 AM
Aikido is an art put together by Morehei Ueshiba. It is the softest of soft arts for the Japanese styles, concentrating on takedowns with as little impact as possible. The attacker is to be controlled, not damaged. It is a fascinating art to watch, as it has some of the most interesting takedowns I've seen.

This info is from seeing it in practice a few times, and from what I've read. I do not practice aikido, nor am I honestly interested in it. I don't think I've got the sort of personality it takes to train in aikido properly. Too aggressive.

Fatman
Jun 07, 2007, 06:15 AM
I tried aikido for a short period of time (maybe three or four months), after I'd taken a break from judo for a while and was looking to explore different styles of MA (back when I was still interested in that stuff). I didn't really have the patience for it; it's afascinating art to watch, but pretty useless in a real-life situation (unless you're a master with years of experience, I guess). But yeah, I was too used to the physical intensity of judo and jiu-jutsu to ever really like it.

redrebellion
Jun 07, 2007, 01:52 PM
Really everyone loves ma with aggression not smoothness........... 8) 8) 8)

Fatman
Jun 11, 2007, 04:05 AM
Judo is not an agressive martial art. "Classical" jiu-jutsu ditto. The new pseudo-combat mixed mma styles are probably more aggressive, but why anyone would learn those is beyond me...

Sepanto
Jun 11, 2007, 04:09 AM
I allways believed and will allways believe that the soft arts dominate the hard ones.

Moonduck
Jun 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
It has more to do with the fighter, not the style. A good fighter can make virtually any style work, whereas a bad one...

redrebellion
Jun 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
I agree wid that moonduck....................

Yogi108
Jul 29, 2007, 02:10 AM
If your aim is to learn self defense, find a Good teacher!. All martial styles are great but it boils down to getting the right teacher who can teach based on your body/mind type.

As for the Tai Chi Chuan, it is first and foremost a Martial Art. Unfortuneately, quality instruction as such is lagging as most so called teachers were never instructed in a martial manner. I am lucky to have found a teacher who is able to instruct Tai Chi as a fighting art with the health benefits as a "Side dish". Best of luck in your search.

David43515
Aug 18, 2007, 02:27 AM
k letz leave this name problem..........as i already told i m interested in BB is there any stress on time factor between tai chi and exercises??????if it is then watz the time gap????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I`ve got some tai chi experience (although it`s not my main art) and I`d love to help you with you question....but I have no idea what you mean.

Oztrav
Aug 19, 2007, 06:17 PM
with all due respect taiji quan is for pussies and old people if you wanna do a martial art there are better options if you wanna get healed see a doctor and a chemist

crazydan
Aug 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
Believe it or not, Tai Chi can be a very effective martial art. Unfortunately the vast majority of practitioners are only intersted in it's theraputic aspects and have little or no training in the martial side.

surprisingly it is an effectice martial art if you use it correctly.

crazydan
Aug 19, 2007, 07:09 PM

no...ever heard of wrestling? or BJJ? or Judo? alot of Mas dont use punching and kiciing

redrebellion
Aug 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
but i saw in some dvd that in tai chi they are using punches for self defense....i got a book and it tells that tai chi has 108 forms in which the combination of various forms helps for self defense.... is it true???

RoMaRiOs
Aug 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
Every Martial Art is based on the principle of self-defence. Even capoeira and other dancing (like some Indonesian) arts.

The only question is are those nowadays effective...

cheesedog
Aug 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
Tai Chi uses trapping, throwing and standing grappling movements with striking and low kicks/stomps/sweeps for self-defense. Like many other kung-fu styles, but they spend more time on sensitivity training than most.

Oztrav
Aug 21, 2007, 12:41 AM
dude if your idea of self defence is getting your arse kicked then do tai chi and buy some matt furey books it wont really cause to much conflict with your bb training but all the ass whuppings you will get will jokes

redrebellion
Aug 21, 2007, 12:33 PM
dude can u specify any book plz??

daeinwolf
Aug 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
This is not meant to offend you in any way, but if you want to know about these arts then do some research. There is a HUGE wealth of info out there on the advantages & disadvantages of most arts...hell, there are even videos on them.

Get out and do some research on them and see what best fits you. Good luck bro.

redrebellion
Aug 31, 2007, 12:10 PM
thanx wolf 4 ur kind advice....

monkey hands
Sep 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
tai chi is an effective martial art. that being said it is a hard art to learn how to us easily. Also the likely hood is that you will have a hard time finding a qualified teacher. Tai chi uses the idea of yeild and overcome. Real tai chi chuan usually uses the yeilding to get in close throw maim, break (especially neck and Back), etc. It is usually characterised by slow movement to train dynamic strength, however indoor teachings can be fast then slow hard then soft etc. Health wise it can change the brain frequency and calm the nerves but this requires rewiring the body mind etc. for faster results see tai chi's "sister" art Hsing yi chuan. it Uses the same basic structural principles but in a more aggresive straight forward manner. Oh and also no books videos etc can impart the knowledge gained through years of practice. They may help, but by the bullet and get a teacher.

summercity
Oct 05, 2007, 12:16 AM
Tai Chi is both a martial art and a wellness exercise... it's just not going to give "instant" results if you want to become a street fighter... and it's not going to help you choke people out if you wrestle against a BJJ fighter.

You should take an intro class, then ask the instructor martial art specific questions... he/she will probably give you a short demo on some martial art applications for Tai Chi. Most Tai Chi schools give free intro lessons.

Crosshands
Oct 19, 2007, 12:59 PM
It depends on where you are in the world but you can find good Taijiquan in a lot of places. Regular classes may be problematic but a seminar and a summer camp can see you through. If you're in North America I'd recommend you look into these options:

http://hunyuantaijiacademy.com/default.aspx
http://www.williamccchen.com/
http://www.shenwu.com/

Nemesis_318
Oct 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
Most Tai Chi out there is not real Tai Chi at all. Tai Chi is a martial art and a form of kung fu, it is one of the 'internal' chinese fighting arts.

If you want to learn real Tai Chi versus the Tai Chi at the health club, then you will need an instructor that knows the martial art of Tai Chi and is familiar with the internal Chinese martial arts. (Tai Chi, Hsing-I, BaGua).

One of the most popular is the 24 form simplified Yang style. You will not be able to learn true Tai Chi from a book. If you learn anything from a book, it will end up being the local health club version. To really get the benefit from Tai Chi you need to incorporate Chi-Kung exercises as well.

brianlkennedy
Dec 14, 2007, 04:03 AM
Tai Chi is basically Greco-Roman wrestling. It has a heavy emphasis on keeping your weight lower than the opponent, getting the right tie up (some of the stupid looking moves in tai chi are actually pummeling, trying to get double under hooks), and then tossing the opponent. Tai chi, like any submission wrestling, places a big focus on controlling the opponents head. Tai chi, properly taught, should allow a decent self defense ability in about two months (yes, two months, not 20 years).

When you see the old historical guys doing moves like this:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/brianlkennedy/yang%20taiji%20pics/yangleftpeng.jpg

What you have to have in mind is they are doing stand up grappling. The way I teach tai chi is to jettison all the talk of chi or anything like that and teach it like stand up grappling. I should give respect and thanks to Tim Cartmell. His writings on tai chi really set me straight on what is what with tai chi.

Take care,
Brian