PDA

View Full Version : Greco-roman wrestling for fighting

crazydan
Apr 28, 2007, 01:56 AM
i recently started liking MMA and i want to start learning it. I already so some striking(boxing and kickboxing), but I really need to learn some sort of grappling. the only one i have access to is Greco-roman. will this help? also what is it? is it mainly throws and takedowns using the upperbody? if so how will it help me? thank you.

Troll
Apr 28, 2007, 03:14 AM
you've ge right general idea of the sport. throws and take downs usind the upper body.
MMA wise it will teach you proper stand up grappling technique. You'll learn how to use the clinch as your advantage.
unfortunatelyit won't give you any MMA ground skills because it doesn't incorporate any armbars, chokes and such.
still I think it's a grate combination with your boxing if your aiming at finishing the guy with ground'n'pound :)

crazydan
Apr 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
yah. do you think the moves will transfer straight to MMA or will iahve to change them up a bit?

cheesedog
Apr 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
Greco-Roman wrestling has worked well for Randy Couture.

crazydan
Apr 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
can you do a direct transfer or no? also is there any ground fighting involved?

Troll
Apr 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
as for the question of a direct transfer I would rather say that it's adaptable towards MMA and is a great base sport for it. sp ypu can train greco-roman keeping MMA in mind.
there is ground fighting involved but typically sports-like with little connection to MMA...

crazydan
Apr 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
also me and my freinds all practice our wrestling and striking with each otheer. do you think greco would be safe for me to do when wresting with my freinds or no?

Troll
Apr 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure for whom would it be dangerous during your trainings with friends? After greco-roman clasess you are going to feel safer grappling wise and also are going to control your fights more which means less accidental injuries.
In conclusion I suspect only positive outcomes of your Greco-Roman experience :)

crazydan
Apr 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
im not shur what it is called but when you think of greco you think of someone grappling aroudn someones waist flipping thm over onto there head. what about that?

cheesedog
Apr 29, 2007, 07:33 PM
Called the suplex. Fantastic move.

crazydan
Apr 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
oo. thanks. is that dangerous?

Moonduck
Apr 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
Define dangerous. Combat arts in general aren't exactly safe. The suplex is a beast of a move, and playing around with it without any clue on how to do it, and have it done to you, is a good way to hurt somebody badly. That said, properly executed, under the eye of a competent instructor, it is a killer move to add to your toolbox.

crazydan
Apr 30, 2007, 03:46 PM
well we practice by ourselves

Troll
Apr 30, 2007, 04:40 PM
so you practice by yourselves and you want to take up greco-roman on your own?
if that's the case then first of all you won't start with neck breaking techniques like the suplex :)
secondly as I mentioned before you'll gain more control so your private grappling sparings will become even safer.
another thing I should have mantioned at the very begining. you said that greco-roman was the only grappling sport you had access to and you wanted to start training some kind of prappling style. in that case why do we even bother with this topic :) get on the mat!!!

crazydan
Apr 30, 2007, 05:48 PM
im sorry i must of mislead you guys. I am learning from a book. but a few of my freinds (all of us do MMA we all are taught boxing together) train together. we box alot together just for fun in order to help get better. we recently got into grappling.

crazydan
Apr 30, 2007, 06:00 PM
BTW do you do GR wrestling(or any other type)?

Troll
May 01, 2007, 01:48 PM
I did GR wrestling for 9 years and then had a back injury.
after some time off I turned to judo but non-competitively.

crazydan
May 01, 2007, 04:07 PM
o thats cool. thanks for the help