PDA

View Full Version : first sparring in boxing

crazydan
Apr 07, 2007, 06:38 PM
im sparring for the first time next week in boxing. any tips?

cheesedog
Apr 07, 2007, 08:54 PM
Don't get hit! :P

Just kidding. Actually, if you go in knowing 1., you will get hit, and 2., it won't kill you, you'll enjoy it more.

Remember to BREATHE. Lots of newbies forget to breathe under the stress of first-time sparring.
Keep your hands up and chin tucked.
Don't worry about any more complicated combo's you have been practicing on the pads or the heavy bag. Try simple stuff like 1-2's and 1-2-3.
Don't get discouraged! No matter how much you think you suck at first, with practice you will improve.

crazydan
Apr 07, 2007, 10:51 PM
i have two main problems. 1. im afraid to get hit in the nose. 2. i flinch and blink when im about to get hit in the nose or face so i cant really duck or block as effictivley as i want to. any recomendations?

Moonduck
Apr 07, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sure, get hit. Yeah, it's crazy, but the only way to learn to take a punch is to take a pucnh. A lot of punches actually. The flunch reaction is pretty much impossible to train out. All you can do is learn how to channel the flinch response constructively. That is actually one of the major cornerstones of the design of Krav Maga, but that's another story...

Like Cheesedog said:

1) BREATHE (I did this the first time I sparred, got SO outta breathe. Then somebody reminded me to breathe.)
2) Hands up!
3) Chin tucked
4) PROTECT YOURSELF

To cover the 4th, remember that YOU are the guy responsible for protecting yourself in that ring. If you take a hard hit, you need to make dead certain that you can go on. You will be sparring, not fighting for real. If you get thumped good, don't feel bad about going weak in the knees, it happens.

Mostly though, go in and have fun. I absolutely loved sparring. If I had more space, we'd be adding sparring into our workouts here. Nothing works me harder than a good match.

crazydan
Apr 08, 2007, 12:41 AM
alright thanks for the advice. im a little woried so i will probably have an adreneline rush when i fight =\

Moonduck
Apr 08, 2007, 12:49 AM
Adrenaline is normal, and is both good and bad. It's good because you'll need to get used to it. It will heighten responses, make your moves a bit wierd, etc, and that is all stuff that needs to be factored in. It's bad for the exact same reasons. Your repsonses will be a bit off, your control a bit widgey, etc. I'm assuming this will be in a controlled setting though, so I doubt you'll have too much to be worried about.

crazydan
Apr 08, 2007, 01:24 PM
alright. Im sure I wont get beat up to bad. lol

cheesedog
Apr 08, 2007, 05:25 PM
A neat way to help you overcome the flinch reflex is to hang something very light (you can start with a paper wad, then a boxing glove or pad) hanging from a string and let it swing around and whack you in the face. Practice getting hit and keeping your eyes open. Sounds silly but it helps.

crazydan
Apr 08, 2007, 08:10 PM
then i will work up to a heavy rock. J.K I will try that. thanks.

Danootje
Apr 09, 2007, 04:18 AM
Keep your hands high, breath trough nose, teeth on eachother.
Remember to keep looking when double-block(don't know english name of it but i guess you guys know what i'm sayin')

Oh yes and keep hitting when the other is double-blocking and you're hitting. Don't stop but just go. And when he's hitting you're double block come over with a jab to stop him.

crazydan
May 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
well i had my first fight. it couldnt have been worse. first of all he got me shook because i am 155 and he was around 210. he was also a little taller with a littl more reach and i am 15 and he is 21. anyway. during the fight every punch he landed would hurt me so bad. everything i learned i basicallly forgot. my stance was fine, but my footwork sucked i kept bringing my legs to close 2gether. my punches were fine but i couldnt land them since he scared me and i kept staying out far.

o well hopefully next time i spar i will fight someone a litte smallr lol

crazydan
May 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
well i had my first sparring session. it couldnt have been worse. first of all he got me shook because i am 155 and he was around 210. he was also a little taller with a littl more reach and i am 15 and he is 21. anyway. during the fight every punch he landed would hurt me so bad. everything i learned i basicallly forgot. my stance was fine, but my footwork sucked i kept bringing my legs to close 2gether. my punches were fine but i couldnt land them since he scared me and i kept staying out far.

o well hopefully next time i spar i will fight someone a litte smallr lol

Moonduck
May 10, 2007, 11:50 PM
A 55# weight difference? Jeeze, that's horrendous. And with the age difference the guy's probably got more ring time on you too. Was this coached, or free-sparring? I have a hard time believing that you could learn anything positive from fighting a guy 55# heavier, with more experience, and more reach if it was free-sparring. What a horrible intro to contact sparring.

EDIT: Cheesedog's correct. Good on ya for going in there anyway. I've sparred with people that scared the crap outta me. The emotional reinforcement of facing down someone like that is something learned, so I guess it couldn't have been all bad.

cheesedog
May 11, 2007, 03:15 PM
The important thing is you didn't give up, you went in there and fought through it. That speaks volumes of your character and spirit.

Believe me, it will get better.

crazydan
May 11, 2007, 03:34 PM
yah. another thing i did wrong was that i would blink sometimes. it got better tho. also since he was bigger i would kind of turn my body when he started throwing flurries. which is relly dumb but i couldnt help it.

thanks for the help guys. and yah my coach set it up and we basicaly jsut boxed.