PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Alcohol on MA conditioning

Sven
Mar 28, 2007, 01:28 AM
What effects will drinking around a fifth every two weeks have on your conditioning (both from a MA and a general stand point)? I like to drink casually, but have started serious MA recently and was curious if there were any adverse effects.

Moonduck
Mar 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
Is that a fifth spread over two weeks? Or every two weeks you have a binge and slam back a whole fifth?

Alcohol is a toxin, period. There can be positives of some alcohol in moderation, but generally it is bad for you. Drunkeness is not a positive happy thing, it is the body's reaction to intake of something toxic and harmful. This should be obvious from the aftereffects of too much consumption, ie a hangover.

Additionally, alcohol is very high in calories, and they are generally empty calories at that. Very few people drink the sort of booze that actually has some nutritional value, and even that sort (stouts frex) is not nutrient dense.

As to deleterious effect, will you notice them? Probably not. Any sort of negative effect won't be noticable over the short term, or probably even the long term. It is more a matter of the gradual negative effect than anything else.

1) Large amounts of empty calories can make you fat
2) Regular intake of toxic chemicals adding strain to your kidneys and liver
3) Potential chance for addiction
4) Short term consequences from overindulgence
5) Potential for long-term nerve damage from overuse

Personally, it's not worth it. Sure, if you keep it moderate, you're not likely to notice any problems, but is it worth it? Is the booze in line with your goals?

brutality is law
May 04, 2007, 10:08 PM
Ive read that it slows down protein synthesis in the body up to 20%. Luckily I only drink on the weekends.

juszczec
May 07, 2007, 09:34 AM
What effects will drinking around a fifth every two weeks have on your conditioning (both from a MA and a general stand point)? I like to drink casually, but have started serious MA recently and was curious if there were any adverse effects.

First of all, I drink alcohol (beer, wine and hard liquor) so my advice is not coming from an "alcohol is immoral" POV.

Alcohol can screw with the quality of your sleep. Sleep is when your body recovers so its going to be tough to push yourself the day after drinking.

Alcohol will dehydrate you. Your performance will suffer if you don't have enough water on board.

Someone mentioned empty calories and they are correct.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about what a fifth does to my liver as opposed to my endurance. There are plenty of websites where you can look up what a moderate amount of alcohol for you.

Basically, with alcohol you are ingesting something that isn't good for you (same like smoking or eating fatty food - I don't smoke but I do eat fatty foods on occaision). If you are smart, you will minimize it.

Mark

Moonduck
May 07, 2007, 01:21 PM
Note: I do not think alcohol is 'immoral' either. It's just a substance. A week or so agao I went out with some friends, drank a bit, and even smoked evil cigars (illegally imported Cubans; damn, they were good). Got a solid buzz from it.

That said, the sort of event might happen once a year or so for me, if that. Alcohol isn't immoral, it's just bad for your health.

juszczec
May 07, 2007, 01:40 PM
Note: I do not think alcohol is 'immoral' either.

My comment wasn't directed at you. I'm sorry if it appeared that it was.

I just wanted explain my POV before anyone got the wrong idea.

It's just a substance.

I agree. The only caveat is you've gotta be careful with it - same as with alot of other substances out there including water and Tylenol.

A week or so agao I went out with some friends, drank a bit, and even smoked evil cigars (illegally imported Cubans; damn, they were good). Got a solid buzz from it.

The thing I like about alcohol is it has its own, built in safety valve. When you throw up, you know you drank too much. When you feel like death in the morning, you know you drank too much. Its kinda like instant feedback. :wink:

You can smoke for years but the problems come on gradually.

That said, the sort of event might happen once a year or so for me, if that. Alcohol isn't immoral, it's just bad for your health.

Lots of things are bad for y ou. Doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to avoid them. You can indulge in your favorite vice (and everyone should have a favorite vice) as long as you control it.

Mark

Moonduck
May 07, 2007, 02:41 PM
My comment wasn't directed at you. I'm sorry if it appeared that it was.

I didn't think it was. I just agreed that POV wa simportant.

The thing I like about alcohol is it has its own, built in safety valve. When you throw up, you know you drank too much. When you feel like death in the morning, you know you drank too much. Its kinda like instant feedback. :wink:

You can smoke for years but the problems come on gradually.

Agreed, the problem is that the safety valve gets ignored too often. One of my lifting buddies goes on every couple of weeks on Tuesdays night and get tore up. He always goes on about how great it is, and how it recarges him, and then complains about how badly he's doing that session on his lifts. I've just taken to pointing out how crap his performance is under the bars for DAYS afterwards, and left it at that. Literally, his lifts will suck for the rest of the week after he does that. Between the alcohol itself and the lack of sleep that he inflicts on himself midweek, performance goes out the window.

As to smoking, that was the first time I've successfully smoked anything. My lungs positively refused to allow me to smoke, period. The cigars are only mouthed, no inhaling, so it was no problem. The combo of nicotine and mino alcohol consumption (about 3 shots and a beer) was what got me good and tipsy.

Lots of things are bad for y ou. Doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to avoid them. You can indulge in your favorite vice (and everyone should have a favorite vice) as long as you control it.

I tend to avoid unhealthy things. It is easier to avoid than to try to make up for it. I'd rather avoid the sweets than have to really wreck myself in my next workout trying (vainly) to make up for it. I spent way too many years not avoiding unhealthy behaviour, and my body reflected it. I'm past that now, and have no desire to return to it. And my body reflects that decision as well.

That said, I'm a firm believer in people making their own mistakes. If someone wants to drink, fine. I'll do my best to mention the dangers of ingesting toxins, but not force the issue. The only reason I say anything to my training partner is because of how much he whines about his crappy performance after he goes on an all-nighter.