PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit , punched in the arms and midsection

koltz
Mar 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
what are the effects or possible adaptations to this , except nerve killing and potentially a stronger cell skeleton\membrane

does it make you leaner?
maybe build muscle mass ( I know of a powerlifter in israel whos a HUGE beast , 150KG and almost 1.90m(with both his parents short in the 60s and 70s)rather lean no sixpack but certainly big muscles and almost no belly , and he is working many many hours as a selector\bouncer , now in israel it means you get to fight all night and whoevers gonna sue you for busting his spleen might probably get more time then you , the type who go to his place at least)
and our guy is lifting quite a lot of iron too squatting well over 1000lbs...
benching over 700lbs (single ply from the 60's his that poor)

back to me , I noticed whacking above the elbow during extensions allowes me to use SHITLOADS of weight I couldn't normally even move (with one arm , the other one is free) like that reflex in the knee , and no I;m not cheating ,

+many fighters who spar are much bigger and stronger then thoose who do it recreationally it seems , I know many who have ripped abs and 15' arms and do EVERYTHING except living right (potentially high T levels but who knows..)

anyone knows anything?

Moonduck
Mar 26, 2007, 05:59 PM
Pavel talks about it in PTP (if you read the whole thing :P ). Basically, you give slaps, kicks, etc to the muscles involved and it helps activate them. One of my training partners gets way more leg drive on the bench when his thighs are slapped. It works in the opposite manner for me. If I get slapped it tends to throw off my concentration.

It's something to do with the way the CNS processes. Strikes to muscles not fully activated can jolt them "awake", for lack of a better term.

ExtremeExercises
Aug 16, 2011, 03:50 PM
Sounds foolish to hit oneself during a workout. That's just me though.

arnoldus
Oct 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
I've seen both reactions as well. So you need to try it to find out if it helps you.