PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxing

crazydan
Mar 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
alright. I have been meaning to start praciticing kickboxing, but I have been pretty busy lately. I am learning with my brother. I baught a few books and I learned all the punches apart from the backfist and the spinning backfist from boxing. i also now how to avoid, parry, block, etc all the punches except for the backfist and spinning backfist. If i have any questions i hope the kickboxers and anyone else would be able to help me. thanks.

boss
Apr 03, 2007, 12:27 AM
if you have any questions, crazydan, you can ask me...

Danootje
Apr 03, 2007, 09:44 AM
or me :lol:

crazydan
Apr 03, 2007, 03:54 PM
thanks. alot.

crazydan
Apr 15, 2007, 04:04 PM
any kickboxers. I have a question. when doing a roundhouse kick i know you can kick with either the shin or the instep, but as im reading my book it says you could aslo use the ball of your foot. is this true?

Danootje
Apr 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
well i don't know all english names for the kicks, but if i'm right with what i think you mean: we only use shins or instep.. :roll:

crazydan
Apr 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
the round house is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundhouse_kick

cheesedog
Apr 15, 2007, 07:08 PM
I have seen the ball of the foot used in Japanese styles like Shotokan and Enshin karate, but only if they are targeting the opponents body. For leg or face kicks they use the shin or instep. In TKD we used the instep, and in kickboxing I use the shin to the legs or body and the instep to the head.

crazydan
Apr 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
well. im going to be doing kickboxing for self defense so i guess i will only really practice round house kick to the legs and mayby the ribs. what do you think of rib kicks with the roundhouse for self defense?

hui
Apr 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Roundhouse kicks to the ribs are fine for self-defense. If you're right-handed, you might want to think about setting up with a jab (left), then a right-cross, before finishing with the roundhouse. Especially when you pull your right-hand back which enables you to use your hips to gain power in the kick.

Otherwise just throwing the roundhouse without any setup might be negated due to the fact that your opponent will see it coming. :D

cheesedog
Apr 15, 2007, 11:48 PM
The combo Hui mentioned is a good one, I use it frequently. Another good one is jab, cross, left hook, low roundkick with front leg to the inside of your opponents leg, then roundkick with the back leg, targetting the outside leg, ribs, or head if open.

Moonduck
Apr 16, 2007, 01:23 AM
One of the Thai combos we used to do was:

(assuming a left lead)

Left round kick (light force, done as a lead-in)
Right cross
Left Hook
Right round kick (heavy)

Not terribly fast, but it got you used to putting kicks and punches together.

boss
Apr 16, 2007, 02:15 AM
i really like a good and strong sidekick ( or spin back kick) pretty painfull and hard to block...and yes for the round house kick with the ball of your foot...toward the liver...watch your toes!!!

crazydan
Apr 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
alright thanks for that guys. im guessing that you only open a combo with a round house kick if you are kicking to the legs. is this correct? BTW thanks for the combos.

cheesedog
Apr 16, 2007, 02:54 PM
im guessing that you only open a combo with a round house kick if you are kicking to the legs. is this correct?

Usually yes, but always be open to an opportunity if they drop their guard for a second, or as a counter attack

crazydan
Apr 16, 2007, 04:44 PM
good advice thanks. Im having a problem doing the round house. i fall off balance. is this normal and will it be fixed by practicing it. I guessi wil start by practicing low round houses then work up to higher and higher.

cheesedog
Apr 16, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yep, it's normal. Just keep practicing and remember the kickboxers you see on ESPN have thrown tens of thousands of round house kicks!

crazydan
Jun 02, 2007, 05:22 PM
alright when doing a front kick i read that you do it with your instep, heel or ball of foot what do kickboxers use for a front snap kick or a front push kick

cheesedog
Jun 02, 2007, 09:00 PM
Normally ball of foot. The only reason to use the instep I can think of would to kick them in the crotch. I have seen a front kick with the heel in a few kung-fu styles, but not in kickboxing.

crazydan
Jun 02, 2007, 10:14 PM
o alight thanks. BTW what are some ideal spots to hit with the fron snap kick and front push kick. i know for the snap would be the chin and groin. what else? and for push kick would it be stomach and what else?

cheesedog
Jun 03, 2007, 07:12 PM
Snap Kick; face, groin, inside leg (for self-defense)
Push kick; face and groin again, solar plexus or chest, inside leg again. There are some great takedowns that involve going into a hold or lock on the arm, neck, or shoulder and blasting their leg out with a push kick, as they fall they break or wrench the locked part and then you slam them face first to the ground.

crazydan
Jun 03, 2007, 08:39 PM
what part is the insidee leg. like the leg part near the groin?

cheesedog
Jun 04, 2007, 07:58 PM
Anywhere from right above the inside of the knee to right below the groin. If you even lightly kick into the knee joint from a 45* angle, inside or outside, going up or down, (think of a big X laying over the knee joint, at any of those angles even a fairly light tap will collapse the knee). Of course, this is for self-defense, not kickboxing.

bobby4o8x
Jun 08, 2007, 02:30 PM
when u kick the legs u should try to kick down on it with the shin so when your shin hits the thigh it can put pressure on the knee..this is muay thai

crazydan
Jun 08, 2007, 03:50 PM
how do I ick the knee with a front kick? on the side or straight on?

Sepanto
Jun 08, 2007, 05:04 PM
You don't. Front kick is strictly for soft tissue. If you kick the knee it is usually a side kick to the side.

cheesedog
Jun 08, 2007, 05:17 PM
You don't. Front kick is strictly for soft tissue. If you kick the knee it is usually a side kick to the side.

That's true, except you can target the side knee with a front kick if you use more of a stomping motion and turn the foot about 45 degrees outward.

Big Jew
Jun 08, 2007, 08:14 PM
I train in Capoeira and MMA.
I've resently developed a front kick to the head that's executed from a back cartwheel from only one step backward. The front kick is executed with the full momentum of the cartwheel behind it.

Feels really powerful like a canon firing out from my leg.