PDA

View Full Version : body toughening

crazydan
Feb 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
is it worth it? I dont mean punching solid brick walls full forces, but these type of things
hand: alternate palm, finger, and knuckle pushups(rug then wood), heavy bag slaps(front and back), and heavy/speed bag training(first with bag gloves then bare knuckle)
Forearms: no clue
elbows: no clue
upper arm: no clue
Shoulder: no clue
Chest/upper back: no clue
Core(abs, obliques, lower back): medicine ball drop on abs, obliques, ribs, solar plexus. lower back: no clue
chin: head lifts(where you lay down and open your mouth in order to lift your body with it and and chin rolls)
Neck: bridges
head: no clue

will any of these hurt me for ever?

Sepanto
Feb 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
The best hand-toughnier I know is doing knuckle-pushups on asphalt.

Elbow/Knee :Elbowing/Kneeing a heavybag.
Shoulder : Ram your shoulder into walls with a progresive increase of power.
Legs : stick your fingers into the ground, at first weakly, but with increasing strength.

cheesedog
Feb 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
Spar as often as you can. You'll get hit alot and gradually get used to it. Just start out with light contact and gradually increase the power.

Go to a traditional kungfu site and learn the 3 star arm banging drill, they also have 5, 7, and 9 move versions of this. The 9 star drill includes shin toughening also. I did these for a few years in traditional martial arts and my forearms and shins toughened considerably.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that traditional iron head training was mostly doing headstands on hard surfaces for long periods of time...

crazydan
Feb 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
basically what I am doing is bag work, knuckle pushups, and medicine ball drops on ribs, abs, solar plexus and obliques.

Moonduck
Feb 10, 2007, 11:11 PM
Yes, pretty much any body hardening work can permanently inure you. Body hardening is dangerous. Yet, for some people, it's a worthwhile pursuit. You just have to know when to stop.

Personally, I'd say get instruction before you do anything serious. You are essentially urting yourself to make yourself tougher. You want to be very certain that you are hurting yourself in a productive fashion, aye?

crazydan
Feb 11, 2007, 12:07 AM
are these ok? strinking heavy/speed bag, knuckle/finger pushups, and medicine ball drops on ribs, abs, solar plexus and obliques.

Moonduck
Feb 11, 2007, 12:49 AM
Those are great, and unlikely to inure you so long as they are done properly. I'd be careful of too much bagwork without gloves/wraps though. Yes, it can build up the hands, but it can also destroy them with reptitive microtrauma. You only get one set of hands, and life with crippled mitts is rough, so be smart about how you abuse them.

crazydan
Feb 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
yah that is true. mayby I should just do speed bag bare knuckle and once in a while (once a week or every other week) bare knuckle the bag and not or too long or hard. Also i heard I should rub stuff on my knuckles. Any ideas of what they are?

Moonduck
Feb 11, 2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, speed bag isn't quite as rough. The trauma you incur there is mostly from skin abrasion. As to knuckle rubs, yeah, there's various things used in traditional martial arts to toughen the skin. I never needed it myself. If you just spend time hitting things you'll toughen up. No need to use chemicals to spee dup the process unless you have particularly fragile skin.

crazydan
Feb 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
I just use lotion on my hands. Is this good or bad? or neither? Also if my hands are bleeding I pour hydrogen peroxide on them and put neosporin on them. is this bad or good?

Moonduck
Feb 11, 2007, 03:25 PM
What sort of lotions? Some lotions are skin softeners. Not a good idea.

I would avoid hydrogen peroxide, as it tends to dry out the skin a bit much, which can hamper healing. Neosporin is usually sufficient for cuts and abrasions. Then again, as I've said before, I've never really busted the skin on my hands up, so I am only going by what training partners used to do.

I guess I have tough skin. I did get a 'boxer's break' once. Only broken bone I've ever had. It is a compression fracture of the knuckle. It sucked, hurt, and took a while to heal. And, no, oddly enough didn't get it doing any sort of boxing or MA. I was ripping a car door off a car (don't ask, it was work-related) and managed to slam the edge of my knuckle between the doors. Still, trust me when I say that you DON'T want one of these. You will be unable to do any sort of striking with that hand for quite a while. Luckily, I've never had any problems with this sort of thing while striking.

plancheismine
Feb 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
head-russian roulette with a fully loaded gun :D :wink: it works, trust me

Moonduck
Feb 11, 2007, 08:11 PM
That only matters if you want to be able to fly, like Koltz does.

cheesedog
Feb 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
If you want to strike the heavy bag without gloves, my advice would be to only hit it barehanded on the last round you do that day, that way you won't be hitting as hard as the first round. Less chance of hand damage. And only hit the bag barehanded every other day to give your hands a chance to heal.

About fisted pushups, it's helpful to do them on hardwood or concrete somedays and on a very thin but abrasive carpet on others. The rough carpet really toughens your skin. I like to do regular pushups on the first two knuckles and tricep pushups on the last three knuckles to toughen all four.

Just had an odd thought. Back when I was learning brazilian juijitsu, we had to roll on a carpet, and at first I got alot of carpet burns on elbows, wrists, knees, etc., after awhile I hardly ever got burns. I guess it was sort of an all-over body toughening.

Crazydan, if your hands are bleeding you are definitely abusing them too much. Take a break until they heal and progress slowly. You only get one pair of hands.

crazydan
Feb 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
there bleeding mainly because they are dry and ashy. not the punching.

Dale Dugas
May 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
You could always use Iron Palm medicine which is a special formulation to help keep the hands from being injured and helps the skin thicken as well.

I teach Iron Palm and have been using 3 formulations for over 15 years and have not seen them do what they are supposed to do for serious students of the arts.

I have helped many friends in MA, Boxing, etc deal with hand injuries with the aid of this medicine.

I make and sell all my products personally. Visit my websites store for more information.

Be well,

Dale Dugas