PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling

crazydan
Feb 01, 2007, 09:29 PM
to my knowledge there are only 3 types of wresting. greco-roman, folk, and freestyle. are there any others? also which type is best for fighting?

Moonduck
Feb 02, 2007, 12:29 AM
There are as many different styles of wrestling as there are different cultures on the planet. Wrestling is the oldest martial art, and every culture has some form of wrestling in its' history.

And there is no best. There are only forms which better suit your body-type, ability level, and goals.

crazydan
Feb 03, 2007, 11:48 AM
O wow thanks. Just wondering. In my school they teach three different types of wrestling. greco-roman, freestyle, and folk. Are there different sub levels of each art or are they one art themselves?

plancheismine
Feb 03, 2007, 12:54 PM
O wow thanks. Just wondering. In my school they teach three different types of wrestling. greco-roman, freestyle, and folk. Are there different sub levels of each art or are they one art themselves?
in your mma school?

and the best for fighting i would say is free-style. nasty sport with big throws, slams, takedowns

crazydan
Feb 03, 2007, 03:45 PM
no. my high school.

Moonduck
Feb 03, 2007, 04:00 PM
and the best for fighting i would say is free-style. nasty sport with big throws, slams, takedowns

There's not a lot of difference between freestyle and folk, compared to the difference between greco-roman and freestyle. If we're limiting the discussion to those three, I'd suggest folk or freestyle over greco-roman. G-R is way too limiting IMO.

crazydan
Feb 03, 2007, 05:18 PM
arent those the most common in America?

Moonduck
Feb 03, 2007, 06:07 PM
By leaps and bounds. Those are the styles most commonly taught in the scholastic setting. As scholastic wrestling is by far and away the most common wrestling, those three are the most commonly trained in.

plancheismine
Feb 03, 2007, 08:25 PM
no. my high school.
you are from camden right? i think you are mistaken...you just have a H.S. Folksyle team...unless you are talking about in gym class.

And why limit yourelf to just one. do all three if you can....

free style and G-R are both nastier then folkstyle but folkstyle would have the best ground work for fighting. like learning how to ride legs.
g-r=upper body throws
freestlye=all takedowns and throws, barely any mat time
folkstyle=good base for takedowns, good mat work

crazydan
Feb 03, 2007, 11:49 PM
yup you are correct. I asked my wrestler freind and he said that they only teach folkstyle. he learned greco roman and freestyle at the YMCA. sorry for the mistake. I always hear him talking about GR and freestyle. I just assumed they taught it at my school. Once I learn the basics of boxing and kickboxing i will start to learn one of these 3 style.

plancheismine
Feb 04, 2007, 08:29 AM
good stuff....join your h.s. team if you can next year

crazydan
Feb 04, 2007, 02:30 PM
thats what I will try to do. Thanks for all the help.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:18 PM
to my knowledge there are only 3 types of wresting. greco-roman, folk, and freestyle. are there any others? also which type is best for fighting?What is "Folk" wrestling? Please, enlighten me.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:19 PM
There are as many different styles of wrestling as there are different cultures on the planet. Wrestling is the oldest martial art, and every culture has some form of wrestling in its' history.

And there is no best. There are only forms which better suit your body-type, ability level, and goals.Never wrestled a day in your life huh?

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:20 PM
in your mma school?

and the best for fighting i would say is free-style. nasty sport with big throws, slams, takedownsYou are sadly misinformed if you think "freestyle" is about "big throws, slams". Please, do not comment if you have ZERO wrestling ability. Next time just post "plus juan".

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:21 PM
no. my high school.High school wrestling has nothing to do with "subs", as you had inquired earlier.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:23 PM

There's not a lot of difference between freestyle and folk, compared to the difference between greco-roman and freestyle. If we're limiting the discussion to those three, I'd suggest folk or freestyle over greco-roman. G-R is way too limiting IMO.Please, can you tell me how you think greco roman is "limiting" in your modest opinion?

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
asked my wrestler freind and he said that they only teach folkstyle. he learned greco roman and freestyle at the YMCA.BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, please stop giving people wrestling advice and log off immediately. Domo.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
Waiting for all the YMCA super star wrestlers to respond. Tick tock tick tock.

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:34 PM
What is "Folk" wrestling? Please, enlighten me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_wrestling

"Folk wrestling is a generic term for traditional wrestling disciplines which may or may not be codified as a modern sport. Most human cultures have some sort of grappling style, and "folk wrestling" is a catch-all term for such styles."

Never wrestled a day in your life huh?

Normally, I don't dignify trolls with a response, but why the hell not? You've got like 5 posts to your name, all in this thread, and all as positively asinine as they can be. Good for you.

Yeah, I've done a bit of wrestling. Am I Dan Severin? Nope, but I've hit the mats. And? You are obviously the great guru of all things wrestling, as shown by your encyclopedic knowledge of the topic illustrated above. Perhaps you can entertain us with a listing of your many trophies, gold medals, and magical wrestling exploits?

Please, can you tell me how you think greco roman is "limiting" in your modest opinion?

Tell me you're joking. You can't be this f*cking stupid. Maybe that little "no attacks below the waist" thing? Only being able to go after the upper body just miiiiight be just a tiny bit limiting. Crazy, I know.

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:35 PM

Good idea, because so many super star wrestlers of any sort chill out on a forum that discusses bodyweight exercises.

Go troll somewhere else.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:38 PM

Tell me you're joking. You can't be this f*cking stupid. Maybe that little "no attacks below the waist" thing? Only being able to go after the upper body just miiiiight be just a tiny bit limiting. Crazy, I know.Actually, I am not a troll. I was directed to this thread by a friend who saw the heinous posts concerning wrestling. My posts may have some attitude to them, but are as truthful as you are intelligent.

Who is "dan severin"?

Whoa whoa whoa.. please Master, do not get upset. I was asking a simple question. No need to pwn me the noob. I have never posted on a forum until now. relax. You are not making me feel very welcome.

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
Dan Servern, spelled it wrong, sorry. He's a wrestler, did a little bit of UFC stuff early. Real cool guy too. Just mentioned him as his was the first name that came to mind. I could've just as succinctly said Rulon Gardener.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:50 PM

Good idea, because so many super star wrestlers of any sort chill out on a forum that discusses bodyweight exercises.

Go troll somewhere else.BWAHAHAHAHA, uhh dude... I just got here, you live here pal. Trying to own me with that argument is about the stupidest SI GSW I have ever seen.

Fujin
Feb 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
Singlets are sexy.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:55 PM
Dan Servern,Who?

Moonduck
Feb 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
Let me introduce you to something called "Google"...

:lol:

Luke
Feb 14, 2007, 12:26 AM
Your spelling yielded no results.

Moonduck
Feb 14, 2007, 12:30 AM
It did when I used it.

Here's a hit from the google search:

http://www.the-dangerzone.com/

crazydan
Feb 14, 2007, 03:11 PM
luke get the hell out of here. or stop using such asshole responses. stop acting as if you are gods spokesman.

crazydan
May 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
alright. I am planning on learning all three styles now. where can i find a gym to learn these 3 types?