PDA

View Full Version : how to toughen my abs/ribs

crazydan
Jan 21, 2007, 05:59 PM
is there anyway to toughen my abs and ribs so if i get punched there it hurts less?[/quote]

juszczec
Jan 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
is there anyway to toughen my abs and ribs so if i get punched there it hurts less?

Strengthen your abs.

Ribs? I don't think you can safely strengthen bone. There are folks who whack their bony surfaces with/on hard stuff. I've never done it long term, have heard of short term success and long term injury.

Frankly, IMO strengthening your body to "take a punch" is foolish. You are going to run into someone who can hit harder than you are conditioned for and there are some things you can't condition yourself for. For example, if you get hit in the solar plexus, your diaphragm is going to spasm and you won't be able to breathe for a few seconds that will seem like a lifetime. AFAIK, there's nothing you can do about that. Its simply how the body works.

I think your time is better spent learning how to get out of the way or how to deflect/smother strikes if you can't get out of the way.

You can desensitize yourself to the shock/surprise of getting hit, feeling pain and being thrown off balance. But doing it unsupervised is asking for trouble.

Mark

joe8y
Jan 25, 2007, 12:26 PM
yea hes right, if its for boxing etc then its better to get out the way. Not only will you be win more fights by not allowing the other person to hit you but you will also be respected alot more for being able to get out of the way rather than just being able to take a punch

crazydan
Jan 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
yah its for boxing, but what are some good excercises to strenghten the abs? are droppin medicine balls on my stomach and chopping at my stomach good?

juszczec
Jan 25, 2007, 04:02 PM
yah its for boxing, but what are some good excercises to strenghten the abs? are droppin medicine balls on my stomach and chopping at my stomach good?

Take a look at the Mid-Section/Core forum on this website.

I've done crunches - both quickly and holding at the top for 5 seconds or so.
I've also used planks, slow crunches on a Swiss ball and sit curls.

Mark

crazydan
Jan 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
ok ill post up there. thanks