PDA

View Full Version : Ten BJJ moves every cop should know...with a twist

plancheismine
Jan 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.grapplearts.com/BJJ-for-Police.htm
these probably have helped them tremendously even knowing only 10 moves!
So here's the twist, if you could only know 10 moves for a street encounter what would they be, they can be grappling or striking oriented.
for me it would be basic and frequent positions that you get stuck in.
1. Doublelegtakedown (good to know how to take it to the ground)
2. GnP (knowing how to throw elbows from on top)
3. Leg kicks to slow them down
4. Knowing how to kimura the top man from guard position
5. RNC
6. Leglock ,easy to finish them off with after the double
7. Counter to the Headlock
8. Knowing how to keep opponent in the closed guard
9. Countering the shirt grab, with a wrist lock
10. Knowing how to close the distance and get to the clinch

From here the encounter could be finished like this easily:
Tackle them with a double and easily finish them with a leglock or mount them, throw some elbows, let them roll over and proceed to choke them out with a RnC.
So what are your ten moves in a street encounter?

Moonduck
Jan 15, 2007, 08:00 PM
1) Avoid.

The rest of the list is so incredibly less important as to not even be worth mentioning.

But why not? (in no particular order)

1) double/single leg pick (I'm not picky as to whether I get both legs or not)
2) the clinch
3) Filipino knife defense slap/controls
4) low kicks
5) wrist locks
6) the guard
7) kimura (it is a damned good move for retention)
8) slip/fade (ie boxing style defense by position and range control)
9) hip throw, or other solid clinch-range takedown
10) a variety of various escape maneuvers (have to lump them together as there are some many angles that need to be covered)

I would avoid leg locks, strikes, and chokes for liability reasons. If you train in it, you will use it. If you use it, you will get sued.

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 09:59 PM
Those definitely need some modification .

What every cop should know about ground fighting is less about submission and more about position and control .

Every cop should know how to properly smash the head !

he will forget about everything but relieving the pain on his head

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 10:36 PM
What every cop should know about ground fighting is less about submission and more about position and control .

I agree with the former, but disagree with the latter. Yes, position and control are foremost concerns, but "smash the head" is asking for lawsuits. Yes, some striking wouldn't be a bad idea, but I certainly wouldn't train in as core defensive tactics.

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 10:41 PM

I agree with the former, but disagree with the latter. Yes, position and control are foremost concerns, but "smash the head" is asking for lawsuits. Yes, some striking wouldn't be a bad idea, but I certainly wouldn't train in as core defensive tactics.

Smash brings up bad images .. I should have chosen a better word for people who have not seen the methods of which I speak .

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that's literally the only reason why I complained - bad images. It's not a "smash", it's a "dynamic control movement" thwt just happens to end up in a faceplant into the asphalt :lol:

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, that's literally the only reason why I complained - bad images. It's not a "smash", it's a "dynamic control movement" thwt just happens to end up in a faceplant into the asphalt :lol:

Haahaa ..

Still the wrong image . it's like a wrestling cross face but much more technical and 10 times as powerful

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
*nod* You know what I mean though. You really have to watch what you frikken name a maneuver that is taught to police officers. Stupid.

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 10:59 PM
*nod* You know what I mean though. You really have to watch what you frikken name a maneuver that is taught to police officers. Stupid.

so true police officers are stupid :P

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
Nah, more like a court system that encourages law-breakers to sue police officers for injuries incurred while trying to harm said officer, that is what is stupid. One of my old instructors was a police officer, and had been the target of lawsuits more than once for "inuring" someone that was trying to beat his head in, take his gun, harm someone else, etc. Stupid. IMO, if you are willfully trying to lay harm on someone else, and a police officer injures you in the process of stopping you, so be it.

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 11:08 PM
Nah, more like a court system that encourages law-breakers to sue police officers for injuries incurred while trying to harm said officer, that is what is stupid. One of my old instructors was a police officer, and had been the target of lawsuits more than once for "inuring" someone that was trying to beat his head in, take his gun, harm someone else, etc. Stupid. IMO, if you are willfully trying to lay harm on someone else, and a police officer injures you in the process of stopping you, so be it.

that was a joke son .. I understand the legal issues facing police officers .. I help train police officers in my area . the true head pressure that our system incorporates is no different legally than what is taught at the academy

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:21 PM
*nod* Sorry, it is an all too prevalent attitude, and I have had too many friends what wear a badge.

Luke
Feb 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
This thread is silly. Stro doesn't approve. He wanted to let it be known, don't holla at cha boi!!!!

crazydan
Feb 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
^^^^^^^ wtf are u talking about?