PDA

View Full Version : Best martial art for me.

crazydan
Dec 08, 2006, 08:32 PM
Basically I have access to the ghetto martial arts. Example Boxing and kickboxing(not muy thai) none of the asian ones like kungfu, karate, and tae kwan doe. I was thinking about doing Boxing and Kickboxing. I would do wrestling, but i do basketball. Any other things that i should try?

Moonduck
Dec 10, 2006, 05:43 PM
Those so-called "ghetto martial arts" work pretty damned well. You get into good shape and learn a lot of very important combat skills that a lot of more "formal" arts won't teach (ie footwork, distancing, good sparring technique, etc).

Add in some groundfighting and you'll be well-rounded.

crazydan
Dec 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
What is good for ground fighting. Basically i just started boxing(upper body) and kick boxing(lower body). Also what is good for grappling.

Also I do not have access to MMA.

Moonduck
Dec 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
What is good for ground fighting. Basically i just started boxing(upper body) and kick boxing(lower body). Also what is good for grappling.

Also I do not have access to MMA.

You don't need some MMA studio. You can just learn different techniques and blend them together. Sure, it can be better to have competent MMA instruction for transitions, but the basic tenchique is still important.

If you have access to wrestling, do that. You'll just have to do some training on finishing moves.

crazydan
Dec 13, 2006, 07:30 PM
I just joined a boxing gym. I dont have anything else near my house. Basically I am gonna try and learn kickboxing and wrestling myself with my training partner.

Moonduck
Dec 13, 2006, 07:51 PM
Boxing teaches some of the best punching range techniques known to man, and gives you some idea of what to do in trapping range by working in the clinch. Kickboxing obviously works kicking range.

Learning to grapple on your own is tough, but doable. There's lots of info out there and lots of books and videos to help you, and your partner, out. Just make VERY sure that you practise safety first.

crazydan
Dec 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yah thanks alot I am going to get a book on wrestling and kick boxing. I am going to try and find a kick boxing gym.

Moonduck
Dec 13, 2006, 08:18 PM
It'll certainly get you into good shape. I wish you luck, crazydan =)

crazydan
Dec 13, 2006, 09:00 PM
thanks. Im doing it 3 times a week and I already workout everyday so i should do fine.

crazydan
Dec 17, 2006, 03:19 PM
I just started boxing yesterday. i was wondering if it would be better to punch with light dumbells in my hand or with a resistance band. I want to make my punches stronger and faster.

Moonduck
Dec 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
Don't do a dumbbell. You have to slow it down at the end, or you'll lose it. That will have the effect of training your body to slow the punch down at the striking point. A band is a better choice, as there is no deceleration, but I'm not sure how well that would work biomechanically speaking. I have seen boxers train with small medicine balls held in the hand and released at the end of the punch. *shrug*

Personally, I would just practice punching. Power will come as you perfect your technique, footwork, and timing. It is time well spent, even if you don't feel like you're doing much. If you have access to a heavy bag, then you've got one of the best tools to increase your punching power right there.

crazydan
Dec 17, 2006, 04:02 PM
yah I have a heavy bag and a speedbag. I use both everyday. I also run everyday and jumprope. I do pushups, situps, dips, pullups, and plyometrics once a week. And do these excercises.
Neck
Plate on back head up
Plate on forehead up
Plate on side of head
Trapz
Shoulder shrug
Upright Row
Snatch
Shoulder
Military press
Clean and jerk
Arnold press
Military dumbell press
Biceps
Curls
Hammer Curls
Triceps
Pushdown
Extension
Close grip bench
Inclined close grip bench
Forearms
Reverse Curl
Wrist curl
Reverse Wrist Curl
Pectoral
Flye
Wide grip bench
bench
Incline wide grip bench
Inclined bench
Lats
1 Arm Row
Behind Neck pulldown
Lower Back
Back extension weighted
Row
Dead Lift
Abs
Weighted crunch
Legs
Squat
Lunge
Romanian Dead lift
Stiff leg
quad extensions
leg curl
Calf raise
Reverse calf raise

crazydan
Dec 31, 2006, 01:15 PM
Well I am doing boxing, but I got a few books on multiple kickboxing techniques and I am teaching them to myself. I am doing these things for self defense just incase you were wondering.

Moonduck
Dec 31, 2006, 02:07 PM
Good on ya! The first book I suggest to anyone working multiple martial arts is Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". It sounds cheesy to suggest it, as there's SO much hype surrounding Bruce Lee, but it really is an excellent book. It radically changed both my fighting style and how I thought about MA in general. Good stuff.

crazydan
Dec 31, 2006, 03:23 PM
ill try and find it. Right now I am teacing my self a martial art called savate(french kickboxing) and Khmer Boxing(pradal Serey) Along with boxing. I live in Camden NJ and it has a very high crime and murder rate so I am trying to learn to defend myself better.

Moonduck
Dec 31, 2006, 06:10 PM
Savate is awesome. I got to play around a bit with a Savateur many years ago. The guy was incredible. He would ask where you wanted him to try to kick, and then would guarantee that he could kick it within two minutes. I never saw him fail on it either.

My instructor told him "left ear" and then went into a strong right forward lead, with his head almost sideways to this guy. Within 90 seconds, he managed to sneak a toe kick around and into my instructors left ear. very cool to watch.

Savate does some very interesting angles, and unorthodox kicks, at least to the mind of someone schooled in Eastern MA.

crazydan
Dec 31, 2006, 06:20 PM
I got a book on savate and one on G-R wrestling and khmer boxing. I already am learning boxing. me and my brother practice together so we should be able to learn these fighting techniques.

Moonduck
Jan 01, 2007, 01:12 AM
Khmer boxing? There are books on Khmer boxing? Wow, that's esoteric. Cool though.

Hayden6-6
Jan 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
My own personal opinion is some 5lb. Dumbells, not just streight punches though... you gotta mix it up! There are ALOT of stabilizing muscles involved, not to mention calfs and core!!

CDavidNeely
Jan 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
Greetings,

Good on ya! The first book I suggest to anyone working multiple martial arts is Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". It sounds cheesy to suggest it, as there's SO much hype surrounding Bruce Lee, but it really is an excellent book. It radically changed both my fighting style and how I thought about MA in general. Good stuff.

I would also recommend The Fighters Fact Book: Over 400 Concepts, Principles, and Drills to Make You a Better Fighter by Loren Christensen. All of his books are great with all kinds of techniques to help you perfect your fighting.

David

Hayden6-6
Jan 13, 2009, 05:05 PM
it is just 5lbs!... now ir ur a featherweight that might be too much. small enough weight will train the muscles that retrieve the punch thrown, IE traps, lats, Bicep... shadowboxing with dumbells is just MY suggestion, and it also happens to be Part of MY routine.

Hayden6-6
Jan 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
and remember... NOT to FULLY extend ur arm when shadowboxing, even if you have no weight!