PDA

View Full Version : Do skill get better if BW exercises are mixed in?

Sep 06, 2006, 01:44 PM
Sometimes trainers have people work on the bag for a round and than do push ups, than bag round, than pushups. In their oppinion the fatigue from the pushup will make the punches better.
I actually read that punching or doing any strikes with fatigue muscles can lead to injury and should be avoided. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

koltz
Sep 06, 2006, 03:43 PM
readting this can cause injury, I'd make you do some ply pushups for time without fetiuging and then work skill, you feel the punches lighter

Sep 07, 2006, 09:19 AM
Ply pushups on the open hands or the fists?

tyciol
Oct 27, 2006, 01:22 PM
Training fatigued by adding in BW does make your punches weaker and less effective at the moment. In the long term it might help though, as it's overall more stress to recover and adapt to. Plus, in a real fight, you should still be able to generate power when fatigued.

cheesedog
Oct 27, 2006, 04:52 PM
Both approaches have their place, just not at the same time. When you are learning a new skill, it is much more effective to learn and practice that skill when you are not fatigued. However, eventually you want to practice that skill when you are tired, to learn to be accurate and generate power when fatigued.

So when you are a beginner, it's much better to do your heavy bag work, shadowboxing, or sparring at a different time than your pushups and other conditioning exercises. After awhile though, you would want to mix them together to improve conditioning and your fighting ability.