PDA

View Full Version : Blitz training

Jul 17, 2006, 09:16 AM
I don't know if everyone knows what blitz is.
Basically it's running and punching at the same time. Very often used in sport karate. It is also effective on the street, if elbows and knees are substituted for punches.

Let's assume that you have the technique down packed, would increasing running speed help your blitz.
And if it would, does short distance sprint increase speed.
What about someone holding you by the belt.
We did that a few times in class, I am debating if doing this on my own is worth it.

Aug 04, 2006, 09:06 AM
Blitz has a number of important components.
1. Acceleration- how fast you explode from standing start.
2. Timing- Right time
3. Off balance- your opponent must be off balance or more stable rather than mobile position.

Thos are more important than how fast you run because the distance is very small.
Being able to blitz from any stance is of outmost importance. Blitz takes experience as much or even more than technique itself. I often see older people who don't move very fast, but have a successful blitz almost everytime.

Aug 04, 2006, 10:42 AM
Speed is a terms that means different things to different people.
Yes being super slow is bad, but being fast, but not super fast makes no difference in a blitz.
The factors outlined by oceancity are pretty accurate.

Aug 04, 2006, 11:09 AM
Blitz?

Aug 04, 2006, 01:57 PM
Blitz?

Running and punching. It's a sport karate method of attack. Chuck norris used it too. It's never technique perfect because you have to do it from different stances and positions. It requires experience.
There are drill for it. Just remmeber that if you commit and miss, it's like running at your enemy with a gun fixed in one direction. If they move and you miss, they can do some damage to you.

Aug 05, 2006, 04:26 PM
Running and punching.
Doesn't that take away from the rotation power of a punch?

Aug 06, 2006, 01:43 PM
Running and punching.
Doesn't that take away from the rotation power of a punch?

It's not really running.
It's fast stepping. Usually only two steps are taken. Kick is not a leg swing, but it looks like it. So the same goes for a blitz. It's pretty powerful, you must know how to use it.

Baofuhaibo
Sep 01, 2006, 01:34 AM
Rotational power of punches? Are you one of those Krotty guys who eliminate the principle that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line and start your punch from the hips palm up and rotate it down halfway through destroying it's natural power(something that you don't see UFC fighters do because it's WRONG), or are you referring to a boxer's punch, which has you end up on your right toe for a left cross, adding power through full body efforts for each punch, sacrificing all chance for any other techniques(grappling, throws, kicks)?

Sep 01, 2006, 10:22 AM
Rotational power, is from the hips and shoulder. The fist can still travel in straight line.

Baofuhaibo
Sep 01, 2006, 09:50 PM
And rotational power can still be developed and used to great consequence whilst running, but I'd rather take a joint out and elbow if I was running, especially if the main purpose would be closing distance.

99benmoore
Sep 02, 2006, 06:46 AM
Short duration ( approx 10 seconds) of bag work... aim for maximum effort trying to get in as many punches as possible. The best blitzing will come from punches - kicks when blitzing tend to very easily throw you off balance however you could throw a short blitz, step back quickly to regain a solid stance and throw a very fast kick ?

also... short sprints from a standing position to develop acceleration.

Other then that its just sheer bloody mindedness.