Jun 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
The art itself is body weight training.
Thank about it: you are fighting and lifting someone's body weight. :-D

Jun 14, 2006, 07:11 AM
"Someone elses" bodyweight training.

crazydan
Dec 31, 2006, 04:30 PM
question about wrestling.

Is greco-roman Wrestling good for fighting or just as training?

Moonduck
Dec 31, 2006, 06:04 PM
question about wrestling.

Is greco-roman Wrestling good for fighting or just as training?

Both. You will need to supplement with finishing moves, but g-r wrestling trains great attributes for groundfighting.

crazydan
Dec 31, 2006, 06:18 PM
I got a book on it and me and my brother are using it to learn g-r wrestling

Moonduck
Jan 01, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's tough to learn that stuff from books. Not impossible, but tough. No idea how old you are, but if you're still in school, try out for the wrestling team. Worst case scenario, you don't make the team. Best case, hey, you might learn something.

crazydan
Jan 01, 2007, 03:53 PM
im on the basketball team

koltz
Jan 02, 2007, 05:30 AM
sorry , I do not want to be either lying down on another man on the ground and tryign to restrict him , or being closer to it and smelling his armpits.

I'm a striker and if some one will try to shoot me down into submission ill counter him and probably end up fetaly woulding him from the combined force of his shoot and my counter.

Moonduck
Jan 02, 2007, 07:28 AM
Even the best strikers get taken down by grapplers. So I'd rather have some knowledge on how to deal with grappling. It's better to be well-rounded, even if it is just to stop the other guy's technique.

crazydan
Jan 02, 2007, 04:21 PM
you need to have punches, kicks, elbows, knees, and head strikes along with grappling.

Moonduck
Jan 02, 2007, 04:39 PM
you need to have punches, kicks, elbows, knees, and head strikes along with grappling.

This is why I said "well-rounded". You should work in all four ranges.

crazydan
Jan 02, 2007, 07:40 PM
yah i was agreeing with you. Sorry if it seemed like I wasnt. Also i also dont want to join the wrestling team cause im kind of a homophobe.

Moonduck
Jan 02, 2007, 08:16 PM
yah i was agreeing with you. Sorry if it seemed like I wasnt. Also i also dont want to join the wrestling team cause im kind of a homophobe.

It happens, man. Adolescence is the point (usually) where you are least comfortable with your own sexuality (and that of others) as well as least comfortable with your own body image. I didn't join the wrestling team because I just couldn't stomach wearing a singlet in front of a crowd.

crazydan
Jan 02, 2007, 10:31 PM
Well im not really embarrased 2 wear the singlet i have a pretty nice body, but i dont like the idea of the wrestling. I wrestle wit my bro but we wear regular clothes.

plancheismine
Jan 14, 2007, 11:17 PM
sorry , I do not want to be either lying down on another man on the ground and tryign to restrict him , or being closer to it and smelling his armpits.

I'm a striker and if some one will try to shoot me down into submission ill counter him and probably end up fetaly woulding him from the combined force of his shoot and my counter.
greco roman wrestling has no shooting in it....so they would take you down with an upper body move....you'd be helpless if all you could do is strike :wink:
and g-r isn't the kind of wrestling you would be doing at school, it would be folkstyle....better for fighting. and crazydan you will never get any good at g-r with just your brother (no training) and a book.

crazydan
Jan 15, 2007, 01:26 AM
o ok. folk is better for fighting? where do you learn greco roman wrestling then?

plancheismine
Jan 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
o ok. folk is better for fighting? where do you learn greco roman wrestling then?
i say folk is better from fighting because in g-r you can't attack the legs or trip them, just upper body throws. but in folkstyle you can shoot, trip, and do upper body throws....plus more time is on the ground in folkstyle and only like 10 seconds you get to spend on the ground in g-r.
And you can learn g-r at a club.....same with freestyle and folkstyle

crazydan
Jan 15, 2007, 11:04 AM
o ok thanks

fogs
Feb 12, 2007, 06:08 PM
Free style wrestling is the nuts.
Stamina & strength building, You get hit hard. Wrestling is truly combative, tweaking every sinue in your body. You learn to use the head & neck to unbalance your opponent. Very fast hands & feet.
Good wrestling training works all parts of the body in strength & flexibility.

ole_chilli
Feb 13, 2007, 10:13 PM

Work Cited UFC 1&2 and early Vale Tudo

the weakest ground fighter could take you down if you have no training.
you can't fight gravity and me

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:33 PM

I'm a striker and if some one will try to shoot me down into submission ill counter him and probably end up fetaly woulding him from the combined force of his shoot and my counter.I am willing to bet that you have never struck another human being, other than women and small mammals.

Moonduck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
Can we ban this troll?

Dumptruck
Feb 13, 2007, 11:38 PM

I'm a striker and if some one will try to shoot me down into submission ill counter him and probably end up fetaly woulding him from the combined force of his shoot and my counter.I am willing to bet that you have never struck another human being, other than women and small mammals.

He struck his lover with a uppercut right into the colon. His lover retaliated by giving him the nutsack across the chin.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:44 PM
Can we ban this troll?For what? I am posting in an honest fashion. Did I do something wrong? I believe I am posting in accordance with the bylaws set forth by this forum and its moderating staff.

Also, please stop trolling me.

Luke
Feb 13, 2007, 11:45 PM

He struck his lover with a uppercut right into the colon. His lover retaliated by giving him the nutsack across the chin.The only questions that remains, did he like it? And did he sneak a little taste?

crazydan
Feb 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
ok. stop trolling koltz. 1. he would whoop ur ass.
2. he is much more valued member on the board.
3. he is definetl a better fighter then you.
4.. he is better at BW excercises then you. now stfu and stop diding everyone.

plancheismine
Feb 16, 2007, 03:01 PM

He struck his lover with a uppercut right into the colon. His lover retaliated by giving him the nutsack across the chin.The only questions that remains, did he like it? And did he sneak a little taste?
He says he thinks grappling is gay, and yet he likes applying the rear naked "penis" hold on guys :wink: