PDA

View Full Version : Mixing bodyweight into training hour.

Jun 09, 2006, 06:33 PM
Just out of curiosity.
For those of you that do Combat arts.
Do you do BW in front in the back or in between or in chunks during your fight training.

Jun 09, 2006, 06:56 PM
All depends on what the coach wants.

Most a little as a warm up, some in the middle (mixed into the work out).

At the end of the work out we do abdominals.
This is standard protocal. I seen many other schools do the same.

Jun 10, 2006, 08:12 AM
This is my take on it.

Legs don't really need much additional BW strength training. When you do 1000's of kicks and stances that's all the legs need. May be some basic body weight exercises.

When you punch, you don't really get strength from that. So upper body weight exercises are good.

If you do too much of those before or during the work out the muscles may be tired to throw good punches.

That's why I think that main strength work out should be after the punches.

Jun 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
This is my take on it.

Legs don't really need much additional BW strength training. When you do 1000's of kicks and stances that's all the legs need. May be some basic body weight exercises.

When you punch, you don't really get strength from that. So upper body weight exercises are good.

If you do too much of those before or during the work out the muscles may be tired to throw good punches.

That's why I think that main strength work out should be after the punches.

Good point. Makes sense.

guitarzan56
Jul 14, 2006, 12:47 AM
I warm up with bodyweight exercises then cool down with stretching.

Jul 14, 2006, 07:58 AM
I warm up with bodyweight exercises then cool down with stretching.

So you don't do any bodyweight exercises in the middle of the work out or after the work out?

skullfire1002
Jan 03, 2007, 07:35 PM
In my karate class we use body weight exersices as like a warm up we do like 5-10 different types of push ups, 10 for each type, then we do crunches, leg raises, squats, etc.

Moonduck
Jan 03, 2007, 09:10 PM
Most of the groups I was with warmed up with cals and stretches, or just cals and did stretches afterward (which is what I taught whenever I ran conditioning).

Heathen warrior
Jan 04, 2007, 07:08 PM
I do sword arts, and I finish my session with a double-weight sword, then on to any combination of bodyweight/rocklifting exercises. I usually do rotator-cuff exercises last, with the double-weight sword.

Generally I like to do the conditioning last, but some say to try doing it first, so you are tired when you do your MA moves, and are forced to fight more efficiently.

cheesedog
Jan 05, 2007, 02:52 AM
In my experience, nearly everyone does skill training first, then conditioning. It is alot easier to learn a new skill when you're not tired. After you've learned a skill though, it's important to learn to use it when fatigued.