PDA

View Full Version : Judo plus Karate of Boxing?

lewismansell
Sep 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've done a fair bit of Judo in the past and dabbled in kickboxing & karate (not a lot) and now we have a Judo club at uni I'll be able to get into it a bit more. I'm very keen on the grappling side, but would also be interested in taking a striking art further, so from a self-defense aspect, would it be best to go for boxing or karate? I would have preferred to go for a BJJ club, but there aren't any near me (both geogrpahically or price wise!)

Lone_Wolf
Sep 26, 2011, 10:56 PM
BOXING!!!

Reason being is because Boxing, like Judo,is a Combat Sport has more realistic sparring which can better prepare you for an actual physical confrontation. Personally, I agree more with what Bruce had said in Enter The Dragon:

"Just pull out a 45 and BANG! Settle It!"

As far as I'm concerned that's the truly harsh reality of life in the real world. BUT....if I HAD to choose two arts or combat sports that would give me some realistic material to work with, it would definitely be boxing and one of the combative grappling sports of Bjj, Judo and Freestyle Wrestling. If I had to choose Only One, I would go with Boxing in addition to making myself proficient at using a concealed weapon as well.

My two cents.

madknight
Sep 27, 2011, 05:23 AM
Yeah...Just shoot the guy...and go away for murder...that's the best way to do it.

But he's right with boxing. I'm sure there are some great karate schools out there that teach you how to fight really well, but boxing gyms are much more likely to get you ready to defend yourself in a fight in a faster amount of time. At least in terms of stand up striking. Be sure to spar though and if you can, once you're in it for a while and your instructor thinks you're ready, try competing (if your gym does it). Sparring is great, but fighting someone who's really trying to punch you out will be better lol.

Lone_Wolf
Sep 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
madknight:
"sparring is great, but fighting someone who's really trying to punch you out will be better"

Yes, I agree. In addition to putting you in a really hostile environment, competing against people you know nothing about (and thus venturing into the unknown) can help you to recognize, acknowledge and control Adrenaline and FEAR!! Same goes with Judo. In both Judo and Boxing competitions you are going against actual opponents who are ACTUALLY trying to put you down or out.

Sparring is great, but fighting someone who's really trying to punch you out will be better lol.

arnoldus
Oct 25, 2011, 06:32 AM
Exactly, boxing is the way to go. But go ahead and try 3 lessons at each club, you'll find out for yourself.

Asher99
Nov 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
Good, I felt glad to see it. Actually, I'm inspired from karate and Kong Fu since my childhood. But, due to
some physical weakness, I couldn't join any club or even a tutor.
I do a like gym work. But still want to be at least blue belt. :)

GlenA
Dec 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
The only problem with boxing is that it does not prepare you for being kicked or thrown. Kickboxing does prepare you for both, but not the grappling. That is how MMA came in to existence, and it does a fair job for preparing for multiple disciplines being used against you.

Berserkr
Jan 11, 2012, 01:10 AM
I hate to tell you this... There is no fighting in WWE, it's fake! Sorry.

cheesedog
Jan 12, 2012, 01:36 AM
I hate to tell you this... There is no fighting in WWE, it's fake! Sorry.

Don't waste your time replying Berserkr, amyfitness is a spammer.

Berserkr
Jan 12, 2012, 02:30 AM
Ah, it all makes sense now! Thanks Cheesedog.

Gasdiver
Jan 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
My daughter (Sweetpea) does MMA. They use an Thai instructor, BJJ instructor and one other (she is just vicious!). Hence a good combination. A bit different to my youth of one and one only!
Boxing and Judo sounds good though.