PDA

View Full Version : Question? Krav Maga

JunkmanXX
May 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
Does anybody here practice Krav Maga? Is it something that you can practice on your own at home? I'd go to classes, but they are very expensive where I am (LA).

What do you think?

Alan David
May 31, 2011, 08:31 PM
I think you can learn something by reading or watching videos, but in the end it's like anything else - you can learn about it from a book,
but mastering it takes practice. You don't want to learn in a fight that a given pressure point is 2 inches lower than you thought.

Of course, if you have a training partner who's interested as well, you could make a lot of progress without having to pay for classes

cheesedog
May 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
If you already have extensive experience in another martial art (at least 3-4 years), you could probably learn Krav Maga fairly well from the book or DVD. YMMV of course.

el_Colibri
Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
Phonebox fighting eh :D

I'd say you could learn KM from a DVD but to train properly, an instructor is probably needed. That said, you're right about classes being expensive :S looks like you'll have to get the DVDs and books for now though!

arnoldus
Oct 25, 2011, 06:19 AM
I've done it, but as there is no protection in our federation, it's light contact and not really usefull as a defence skill I think. It's better to learn Muay thai or just boxing even if you're only looking to defend yourself.