PDA

View Full Version : Pain after sitting in seiza

phrak
Feb 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
For those of you who sit in seiza during your martial arts classes, do you or did you ever get knee pain upon standing up?

This hadn't happened until the winter, so I've been blaming it on that. I can sit for long periods of time like that, but always feel like an old man when I stand up due to pain around the knee joint.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you fix it? Any suggestions? It's not getting better by simply sitting in seiza more often, but it's also not getting worse

kokakola098
Feb 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
Could be worse, you could be made to sit around in horse stance instead.

Always wondered what, if any, the benefits of "seiza" (didn't know it had a name till now) were suppose to be. I've only had to sit like that in japanese martial arts thinking back (karate, aikido, ninjutsu).

phrak
Feb 25, 2011, 11:40 PM
Could be worse, you could be made to sit around in horse stance instead.

Always wondered what, if any, the benefits of "seiza" (didn't know it had a name till now) were suppose to be. I've only had to sit like that in japanese martial arts thinking back (karate, aikido, ninjutsu).

It's really just a formal way of sitting in japanese arts. It is a quad and ankle stretch though, but that's not the point.

Raja
Mar 05, 2011, 03:32 AM
You may not have the ankle flexibility. THis strains your ankles and your knees. I used to have to sit in seiza in Aikido for a long time. Could not stand it.

The only benefit from it is for swimming where the ankle flexibility helps. Also some very strange people find it more comfortable than any other sitting posture. I knew one lady that preferred seiza to a chair. :shock:

OzVegan
Mar 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
Well seiza can foster blood clots so don't sit around like it for ages on end.
The question is, what are you gaining from this particular posture that you can't do in another posture? It does help straighten the back but so does lying down and tilting your pelvis forwards a tad.

Ask if you can sit cross legged instead because of knee problems.
Also, check with a doctor and determine whether you don't have some other kind of knee issue that is being aggravated by the seiza position.

I found out I had arthritis back in 2001 when I couldn't explain some injuries I got whilst practicing Aikido. Eventually I had to go to a doctor and found they weren't injuries.

kamagrabarbosa
May 12, 2011, 01:11 AM
It's a formal way of sitting in japanese arts. It is a quad & ankle stretch though, but that is not the point.