PDA

View Full Version : My first full contact fight!

AshersUK
Jan 15, 2011, 05:18 AM
It's been a while since I last posted anything about myself and a few little "things" have happened since then!

Okay so in October 2010 I competed in my first ever light contact kickboxing fight. I won by unanimous decision and I've had the buzz since. However, I've been given 10 weeks to train for a full contact fight. I have the occasional light contact bout thrown in for example the 30th of January and maybe another after.

I was wondering what training and preperation tips you guys with fighting experience could give. I have a heavy right leg and my left leg isn't far behind. My punches are much weaker and my punch accuracy isn't 100% My right leg has the ability to drop people into 8 counts in the first round, both body and head kicks, and my left leg generally finds the liver 50% or (probably) less of the time.

So to recap, my legs are performing good and have the capacity for a knockout. I just need advice on training for a fight. I'm weaker and slow in the arms but don't want to over-train them knowing my shins are where my stopping power is at.

Erik
Jan 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
So to recap, my legs are performing good and have the capacity for a knockout. I just need advice on training for a fight. I'm weaker and slow in the arms but don't want to over-train them knowing my shins are where my stopping power is at.

First and foremost, work on your guard. Being able to kick someone won't help if you drop your hands and get knocked cold.

Second, get a good coach and work with him.

Third, lots and lots of heavy bag work to develop your punching and kicking. See the bag as your opponent and punch through him with every shot. Make your jab as hard as you can and make your cross even harder. Work your hooks and uppercuts for close-in. Same for elbows and knees if they're legal in the style you're fighting. Work your kicks for accuracy and penetration.

You should also talk to your coach about what exercises will build your punching and kicking power, and incorporate them into your routine.

Good luck and keep us informed!

EvilOne
Jan 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
Good luck. My biggest tip is go to ross's site

qr409tz8
Jan 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
Good luck! post a you-tube video of the fight for us after you win!

Only advice I have is to put on the gray sweats and start running stairs, chasing chickens and practice your punches with some sides of beef!

MF!
Jan 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
not to be harsh but this is really something you should be asking your coach.
im still interested to find out how it goes. but heres an exercise i think has worked for many fighters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_3bIni52I&playnext=1&list=PL5461DDF08A615FD3&index=9

EDIT: my bad..... you were looking for hand skills. but a strong groin means you dont have to use your hands to protect them ;) good luck with training and the fight!

GreekPT
Jan 15, 2011, 11:23 PM
^^Now THAT my kill my chocolate cravings!!!

I don't fight but I know from doing tri's we tend to spend more time do what we're good at, so the bikers bike too much and their swimming or running suffers or something like that so I'd say work on your weaknesses - til they are no longer.

Raja
Feb 02, 2011, 12:12 AM
Congrats mate!!

Getting into a ring is scary business. Been there a couple of times. (Lost :( )

I'd say find a good trainer who's been in fights themselves. They'll do you some good.

AshersUK
Feb 03, 2011, 06:34 PM
A little update. I got my match for the fight. A 20 year old, 70kg lad from just 15 mile away. His record is 1 fight, 1 draw.

I'm 19, 67kg, 1 fight, 1 win.

It's a fair fight in my opinion. However I'm having some troubles, I seem to have excruciating wisdom teeth coming through! The worst that could happen is I have 6 weeks away from sparring because of an operation. I REALLY hope this is not the case!

Raja
Feb 04, 2011, 01:16 AM
How many rounds are your fights? How long are the rounds and breaks?

rikrock
Feb 04, 2011, 09:08 AM
the biggest down fall in full contact is the lack of boxing skills. work the double end bag for accuracy. another thing I used to do is get someone to toss tennis balls at me and try to nail them with my jab. ditto on the heavy bag use the softest one you can find and like erik said push though it don't tap it. Greek is right people focus on strengths not weakness and that is weekness in and of itself:wink:

Work the focus mits alot too. Good luck hope the teeth dont set you back.

AshersUK
Feb 05, 2011, 10:28 AM
How many rounds are your fights? How long are the rounds and breaks?

There are 3 rounds, 2 minutes each, not sure if it's 30 seconds or 60 seconds breaks but either way it's short.

I know people disagree with running for fighting but I agree with it but does anyone know some sprint workouts I can do that'll immitate the exhaustion I'll experience in a fight?

GreekPT
Feb 05, 2011, 02:18 PM
I never fought - humans, grizzlies or anything that hits back aside of a bit of back yard boxing in highschool so this is hardly experience talking - but I know your whole body is going to be worked in the ring and you need big time cardio, so some of the training I did for my adventure race might work for you, with some tweaks.

I was on a football field. I'd sprint the length of it, 100 yards, then do 15 burpees fast as I could, then do a fast bear crawl halfway to the 50 yard line where I had a sand bag waiting and I'd do 15 clean and press burpees with sand bag, then I'd bear crawl the remaining 50 yards to where I started, then repeat the process 5x or 10x.

You're working every inch and every muscle in your body. If you really hit that sprint hard (I only "ran" mine) you're anaerobic/totally winded and you've only started the fun stuff for the next round. You can easily tweak this by adding different moves which you think will benefit you more. Maybe after the 2nd bear crawl you do 50 fast mountain climbers and a quick 20 pushups before the sprint...I'm just throwing out some ideas here. But that shit works.

And when that becomes too easy, slap on a weighted vest and repeat!!

rikrock
Feb 05, 2011, 03:45 PM
There are 3 rounds, 2 minutes each, not sure if it's 30 seconds or 60 seconds breaks but either way it's short.

I know people disagree with running for fighting but I agree with it but does anyone know some sprint workouts I can do that'll immitate the exhaustion I'll experience in a fight?
one simple thing to do is get on a track and run full out for 2min rest one minute (or 30sec) then repeat for 4 rounds. also 1/4mile sprints all out with same rest period do 4-8 of them. I would also suggest sets of burpees (20 reps) all out do 30 sec rest and repeat do 5 sets minimum the key here is do them as fast as possible.

accipiter
Feb 05, 2011, 11:06 PM
I would recommend some kind of conditioning workout that involves continous stop and go, changes of direction and a variety of movements. Training should mimic the sport. The problem with running, is that once you are in motion, your body moves into an efficient, energy-saving mode. Fighting consists of constant changes of direction and uses the entire body.

You could use the Tabata protocal and set up a workout where your work intervals would be 5-10 seconds longer than your fight round. Make your rest intervals shorter than your fight rests.

MF!
Feb 05, 2011, 11:17 PM
I would recommend some kind of conditioning workout that involves continous stop and go, changes of direction and a variety of movements. Training should mimic the sport. The problem with running, is that once you are in motion, your body moves into an efficient, energy-saving mode. Fighting consists of constant changes of direction and uses the entire body.

You could use the Tabata protocal and set up a workout where your work intervals would be 5-10 seconds longer than your fight round. Make your rest intervals shorter than your fight rests.

or do some crossfit ;-)

TheMasterKey
Feb 07, 2011, 12:24 AM
I think your best bet is to spar regularly.

Nothing I've experienced mimics the exhaustion you get from sparring. Doing burpees, running hill sprints, whatever. No matter how hardcore or disciplined you might be, when you get tired, you give in, even if only a little bit. When sparring, as I'm sure you know, that's not such an easy option. You either fight back or get the shit beat out of you - regardless of how tired you might feel. Plus, you'll be increasing your specific cardio needs and improving your skills at the same time.

Assuming you're already doing that, a friend of mine/old trainer is a pro boxer who runs regularly and from what I know he mixes it up. 5 mile runs, sprints, but whatever type of running it's running hard and running fast.

Good luck.

Raja
Feb 16, 2011, 12:04 AM
Some researchers at University of New South Wales found this protocol to be good for conditioning and weight loss. I found it rather suiting for Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA style conditioning and round times.

8sec work
12sec rest
for 20min

AshersUK
Feb 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
Some researchers at University of New South Wales found this protocol to be good for conditioning and weight loss. I found it rather suiting for Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA style conditioning and round times.

8sec work
12sec rest
for 20min

Weight loss isn't on the agenda for this fight. I'm rolling at 67.5kg these days and the bottom of my weight range is 67kg and my opponent is 70kg (the top end). I actually went up a weight range for this fight from Welterweight to Light Middleweight! I've really got to balance my nutrition to workout ratio just right to stay about 67kg as I naturally fall around 65kg. However saying that I just recently dropped under 4% body fat so I put on that 2.5kg over 3 months and it's as lean as you can get it.

I've installed some hard conditioning workouts to my weekly life but it's all a little hectic as I manage a bar as well as workout and go to the gym so it's often late nights early mornings. I need to be careful not to make myself ill.

GreekPT
Feb 17, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hey can you give us a little background on the prefight timing? Do you have an official "weigh in" and if so how long before the bout is it? You could be struggling to maintain 67.5kg and your opponent could perhaps have cut hard to hit 70kg. He could go into the match 10lbs...er, 4.5+kg heavier than you. At least that is what I hear talking to some pals who do MMA.

Either way kick his ass!

AshersUK
Feb 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hey can you give us a little background on the prefight timing? Do you have an official "weigh in" and if so how long before the bout is it? You could be struggling to maintain 67.5kg and your opponent could perhaps have cut hard to hit 70kg. He could go into the match 10lbs...er, 4.5+kg heavier than you. At least that is what I hear talking to some pals who do MMA.

Either way kick his ass!

I was weighed 8 weeks before the fight. The next weigh in is on the day so there's no room for error as we both have to meet in the same weight range. There's physically no room for dropping or gaining weight after the final weigh in. I do, from experience, prefer to fight the heavier guy. It's surprising what difference 5kg can make. It just means the lighter guy (me) has to be much more resilient as 3-5kg of raw power 'can' make a lot of difference.

kamagrabarbosa
May 12, 2011, 01:14 AM
I appear to have excruciating wisdom teeth coming through! The worst that could happen is I have 6 weeks away from sparring because of an operation.