PDA

View Full Version : Important! Boxing and Kickboxing

mbt9000
Sep 18, 2010, 09:28 PM
hello,
well my old thread about shotokan karate is history now, because the gym that i was going to has closed down, so recently ive been doing boxing and kickboxing 5 days a week, and ive been doing it for nearly 3 months,
the gym i go to is run by 3 champions and 1 kickboxing world champ who also has records for european title etc,
i full contact spar around 3-5 days a week, and the schedule is this

6am - 4pm college, 5pm - 7.15pm (mon, wed, fri - boxing)
7:30pm - 9:15pm (tue, thur - kickboxing)

i need a few questions that has been bothing me awhile

1. my recent spar was with a guy with heavy hands, and he was going for the KO, he didnt knock me out or down and i stood my ground, but the instructor that was watching says he won the bout while the second judge said he didnt (he told me privatly that they said he won because he had a fight coming up soon and wanted to build his confidence up) but still how can i stop the anger and regret of losing? it really bugs me badly!

2. im still big now but im wanting to get smaller and faster, any ways of increasing my punching speed?

3. any good at home tips on bobbing and weaving and rolling etc, because im a big enthusiast when it comes to defense,

4.how can i increase my offense, im not scared but i must have balls to get into the ring with bigger and better guys and stand my ground etc, and i know im not chicken because i hit back and go on offense alittle and stand toe 2 toe with the guy and takes his best and still keep coming, but im always on defense which sometimes can be a disadvantage so how can i work on my offense so i can rush them whilst not been open to attack or a knockout shot?
or is it best to be on defense and move around the ring and slip jabs etc and wait for an opening?

5. because my endurance is alot stronger now, i usually do 5 circuits at home 3 day a week but i dont break a sweat, have you got any workouts for me thats going to help with my conditioning for the 2 sports? (speed/defense/footwork, mostly, for one person only)

thanks people, hope everyone is well :)

p.s, im aiming to compete one day full contact, the gym ive been to has already made numerous champs in the past, and still present!

and the first week i went (total novice) i went into the ring with the junior british champ (19yrold) and i was surprised because i lasted 5 rounds and stood my ground and didnt get knocked down or out! so i must have the heart and balls lol ;)

Mike

mbt9000
Sep 18, 2010, 09:31 PM
oh and it must be soley bodyweight training, because i dont want to slow down

Cres
Sep 19, 2010, 01:18 AM
you probably already know this, but jumping rope is supposed to help your agility and foot work. other than i have no clue. i literally just started doing mma so i dont really know anythig. maybe shadowboxing with some light dumbells. like 5-10 lbs. as a matter of fact i think that Bruce Lee did that. i just got a copy of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. i'll check it tomorrow for you and see if says anything about speed.

979roadrunner
Sep 19, 2010, 01:53 AM
Don't go toe to toe with bigger guys, outmanuver them and counterpunch. I know of no way to increse speed of punches exept weighted gloves, but if you do this, do it with a bag or some other target. Punching air with weights can injure your elbows.
String a clothesline across your training room at home and move forward and backward while moving under it, one side to the other.
Dips are great for increasing punching power, but don't overdo and hurt yourself. If you can, get a buddy to put on targets abd move his hands around while you try to hit them. This teaches you to judge distance and speed.
Boxing is a great sport, and so is kickboxing, hope you enjoy!

mbt9000
Sep 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
thanks for the replys guys really helpful :) any more info that will help me with my querys are more than welcome

oh btw, ive been told when im in the ring im not relaxed (its my worst habit) and im all stiff and sometimes abit slow, any tips on keeping relaxed whilst in the ring?

Mike

Dominator350
Sep 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
oh my god it's mbt 9000 holy fuck! I haven't seen you on this forum in years! Howve you been man?

Well you're pretty much answering all your questions. You want better offense then improve your jab. Jab jab jab and don't stop, you should be jabbing until your fucking arm feels like its going to fall off. I used to jab the heaviest bag in the gym when I was training to fight heavy weights. And not really focus on power, just smash the motherfucker as many times as possible in a round. And keep your fucking right up!

If you want to get fast, shadow box. Shadow boxing will make you fast as fuck. Burpees for conditioning, running for cardio, shadowboxing for speed and technique, heavy bag for punching power, strength training(gymnastics, powerlifting) for structural durability olympic lifts for power.

How come you don't ask these pro's at your gym about this shit? And what qualifies as boxing or kickboxing to you?

mbt9000
Sep 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
oh my god it's mbt 9000 holy fuck! I haven't seen you on this forum in years! Howve you been man?

lmao, ive been good pal, still going through personal problems, but ill be ok, im doing welding, mechanical engineering and fitting now also a competitive boxer/kickboxer now, you

mbt9000
Sep 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
well they are extremly busy so i cant have along discussion about what i want, but he tells us all, repetition, repetition, repetition all the time, he said im getting really good and will tell me if im shit,

could you construct something for 3 days a week thats around 30mins long or less because i work out in the morning 6am, and i dont want to be shattered for college lol

Journeyman
Sep 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
OK. I'm calling BS--sadly. Last time mbt9000 came by he was a competitive powerlifter. That was less than a year ago. Now he's a competing fighter too?

If he had that experience he wouldn't be asking us to design YET ANOTHER program for him.
Still this is good for laughs. Not so amusing as his "I want a spartan gymnast physique" thread though.

mbt9000
Sep 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
go to http://www.dragonfootpromotions.com/semi.html thats where i go.

demarcoa after 2 long years you are still a dick and remembering everything, damn you need to get out more pal, and i WAS a powerlifter, me and around 10 friends where having competitions for money, i lost unfortunatly,

so ive taken up boxing and kickboxing, at a full contact gym, and i told the instructor that i want to compete!

so i thought i need to be in better shape so i was asking for a training regime thats 3 days a week specifically for the sport,

but if most of the people are being arseholes on here then ill un-register and go else where.

Mike

tahuti
Sep 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
Punching with resistance bands if you don't have weighted gloves, or punching under water. Density training - how many punches you can do for 2, 5, 10 minutes, each time you do try to sneak in few more. Throw medicine ball, dumbells, rocks (idea is to have some resistance but not too heavy since you need to do it at fastest speed, 8-12lb) Check your technique if there is wasted movement.

mbt9000
Sep 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
thanks matey, appreciate the feedback :)

so do you think i should to days that target a certain area, e.g monday - punching speed, wednesday - etc

or should i do a full workout like monday - conditioning

Cres
Sep 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
bruce lee just says shadowboxing. but he also mentions this technique which is used to pack a lot of speed into a punch. i think it only works with like hooks though. basically he says that when punching, you can shorten the radius of the punch in mid-strike and as you shorten it, physics take over and make it faster. im sure there are a lot of subtle movements involved though, so it must take a decent bit a practice to get this technique flawless

Rifleman
Dec 31, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hello, first post here. FWIW, I'm also a novice boxer but I workout with a good trainer and I believe I can add a few things worth considering.

i full contact spar around 3-5 days a week...

Sparring five days a week sounds like a lot unless you have a fight coming up. Sparring is the most important thing a fighter can do but be careful you don't leave all your fight in the gym

1. my recent spar was with a guy with heavy hands, and he was going for the KO, he didnt knock me out or down and i stood my ground, but the instructor that was watching says he won the bout while the second judge said he didnt (he told me privatly that they said he won because he had a fight coming up soon and wanted to build his confidence up) but still how can i stop the anger and regret of losing? it really bugs me badly!

You weren't in a bout, you were sparring. It's not the same thing and it's not done for the same reasons. Sparring is to condition your body for fighting and to improve your workmanship as a fighter. It's not about proving you're the toughest guy in the gym. If you learned something, you won. A good trainer knows this and doesn't put his novice fighters in to get kayoed just to build up another fighter. How about building you up too?

2. im still big now but im wanting to get smaller and faster, any ways of increasing my punching speed?

When you say smaller I take it you mean lighter and leaner? Do early a.m. roadwork in a fasted state. You should have a glass of water before and after but don't eat breakfast for at least an hour after you finish. Save the idea of pre and post workout meals for your main gym session later in the day but do your a.m. roadwork fasted.

Everyone can improve their punching speed to some degree but great speed will depend on genetics. Having said that, don't settle for less than what's possible. The speed bag and double end bag will help.

3. any good at home tips on bobbing and weaving and rolling etc, because im a big enthusiast when it comes to defense,

Study Tyson and Mayweather. Shadowbox with a purpose. Work the slip bag and the duck under rope.

4.how can i increase my offense, im not scared but i must have balls to get into the ring with bigger and better guys and stand my ground etc, and i know im not chicken because i hit back and go on offense alittle and stand toe 2 toe with the guy and takes his best and still keep coming, but im always on defense which sometimes can be a disadvantage so how can i work on my offense so i can rush them whilst not been open to attack or a knockout shot?

Fists up, elbows in, chin down and JAB! Double and triple up on the jab. Keep moving your feet and head and try to get an angle. Then jab and jab again.

Rush in? I take it you mean be a pressure fighter or have a swarming attack like Frazier or Tyson? Don't bull in and don't headhunt with big power shots. Jab your way in and work on your body attack.

or is it best to be on defense and move around the ring and slip jabs etc and wait for an opening?

Everyone should learn to counterpunch to the best of their ability but to use counterpunching as a primary tactic requires a lot of natural quickness.

5. because my endurance is alot stronger now, i usually do 5 circuits at home 3 day a week but i dont break a sweat, have you got any workouts for me thats going to help with my conditioning for the 2 sports? (speed/defense/footwork, mostly, for one person only)

Sparring is the best way to condition a fighter. Punch mitts rank second in my opinion. If you're working alone, shadowbox and work the heavy bag with a purpose. Do your pushups, etc., at the end of your gym work for a finisher when you're already tired and punched out.

and the first week i went (total novice) i went into the ring with the junior british champ (19yrold) and i was surprised because i lasted 5 rounds and stood my ground and didnt get knocked down or out! so i must have the heart and balls lol ;)

You shouldn't have been in the ring the first week. Sparring is the most important thing you can do but it should be supervised and progressive, not sink or swim, even if a sink or swim approach seems to have worked for you so far. And it bears repeating that working hard is important but don't leave all your fight in the gym.

Journeyman
Dec 31, 2010, 08:20 PM
http://www.serpents-guild.com/~vain/ThreadResurrection.jpg

Not that you didn't contribute....

Rifleman
Dec 31, 2010, 08:57 PM
I didn't think a three month old thread was too dead to resurrect. Sorry if that's against protocol. I wouldn't have resurrected a three year old thread.

Journeyman
Dec 31, 2010, 09:08 PM
Naw it ain't against protocol or anything. Part of it is I saw it wasn't a 'current' thread and just wanted to use that picture, also the OP doesn't really hang around the forums anymore. No biggie.
Also, welcome to bodyweightculture!

Raja
Jan 04, 2011, 12:42 AM
THis isn't bad. I've seen 3-4year old threads resurrected.

But this video is always appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6oy46qKE4

aramse14
Sep 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think training with heavier gloves is a sure fire way to boost your hand speed. I think gaining a great jab is a means to better offense. The jab allows you to control your opponent, and keep him thinking (if you have power in it) while setting up power shots.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessThruFocus

bryan ferret
Oct 08, 2011, 06:44 PM
for fluidity and speed ..i think yes repetition is key..but it wont come for evryone..you either have it or you dont.that doesnt mean you cant have success.

arnoldus
Oct 25, 2011, 06:29 AM
But there is also the need of variation. You're body is performing harder to accelerate the weighted glove to the same speed as the former glove, but after a while, even with a lighter glove, it kind of remembers the weighted speed, therefore you need to alternate weighted and unweighted glove trainings so that your body learns to use speed to the fullest.