PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know Bruce Lee's workout

SAS 22
May 29, 2010, 03:10 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew what bruce lee's workout was as i'd like to give it a try. Thanks.

T-M-D
May 29, 2010, 03:53 AM
Without wanting to burst your bubble here, this was a guy who could do two finger OAPU's, you don't reach that level of strength without doing some seriously hard work. I know some basics about some of the strength training he did, but if you're new to training jumping in at the really deep end will be counter-productive at best (damaging long term at worst), you're probably better off picking exercises that challenge you personally, working up to getting sets of 20 reps with those and then finding a harder challenge, do that with each muscle group and you'll make good progress, also have a read of this, I'd say this is pretty much all you could ever need to know to start out.
http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13389 It's a bit of a read, but well worth it.

SAS 22
May 29, 2010, 05:27 AM
You haven't burst my bubble. Could you share what you know about his bodyweight workouts. I know my limits, but im not a beginner. Im not going to try something that i know will cause me injury.

T-M-D
May 29, 2010, 05:43 AM
http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html Have a read of that, I think you'll find it interesting. In terms of body weight training he didn't really do anything amazingly special in his early days typical martial arts styled body weight work outs, lots of plyometric push ups, jumping squats etc would have been standard along with horse-stance work. However I will say that he did some permanent damage to his back doing 'Good Mornings' with heavy weight. You may want to look into some of the training that Shaolin monks do, ignore the stuff like punching walls etc but there is some useful conditioning and strength/power training stuff.

SAS 22
May 29, 2010, 06:30 AM
thanks for the info.

moeed_eng
May 31, 2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjqL9MdLj0k
brclee teacher training dummy video he got cancer and he treied to save his pricious

petersante
May 31, 2010, 02:53 PM
The Art of Expressing the Human Body, details some of the training Bruce Lee did.

Yip Man was amazing.

moeed_eng
May 31, 2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDZgZIf0oo

moeed_eng
May 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
if any one find this book tell me bruclee workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hp87XSBd04

silentassassin
May 31, 2010, 03:35 PM
Are you talking about GPP or martial arts training?
there are several books that have some info, just search amazon.
Also there are some videos of him working out.
To my knowledge there is no complete resource to find what he did, if you one please let me know. You wont be able to do much of what he did because being in amazing shape was his job. He and like any professional athlete he trained for hours and hours, he also had alot of custom equipment.
I can give you a short list of what I know off the top of my head:
running 5+ six minute miles
aerodyne bike for an hour at top speed
basic barbell exercises
isometrics
EMS machine
tons of difficuilt bodyweight exercise esp for abs (eg. dragon flags)
custom grip training equipment
jump rope
not to mention his actuall martial arts training
he basically did everything and anything that was available during his time and some that wasnt.

Journeyman
May 31, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew what bruce lee's workout was

Yes. But it would take too long to list here. Workouts, feats (as far as I know which ones are real and which aren't), hell, since I have 'the art of expressing the human body' I can recite 6 months' worth of his daily logs from 1968. :lol:

Most of his workouts were actually very user friendly, you wouldn't need super human genetics (which lee didn't really have) to use them.

And for the sake of sanity don't use the internet as a source. I took several months to get everything sorted out, the internet BS is unbelievable.

Maybe I'll post something up later. I'm off to train now. :mrgreen:

boris
Jun 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.martialarm.com/images-shop/Bruce%20Lee%20-%20The%20Power%20Of%20The%20Dragon.pdf

ted wong was one of Sifu's first students. an original. i believe i read somewhere that he lives in seattle now and cares for bruce and brandon 's grave sites.

Journeyman
Jun 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
^ Those movements comprise part of a routine Lee used in 1968. At the time he was in a 'cutting' sort of phase, and didn't really do any heavy training. A lot of punching with weights, isometrics, abdominal work and one-leg squats.

onelasttime
Oct 07, 2010, 10:31 PM
Bruce Lee was a ferocious reader and thinker. He tried everything. He ran often up to 10 miles at a time not religiously though. He lifted weights a lot after coming to America. He hurt his back doing Good Mornings like another poster said. He then went to mostly isomertics combined with lots of bag work, wooden dumy work and those body weight and weight lifting exercises he could still do with out pain. He was a huge huge fan of Isometrics though and really explored the outer limits of it. He also experimented with Electrical Muscle Stimulation.

I have only tried good mornings a few times and each time I came away with the same idea "This is fucking nuts I am going to hurt my back for sure!".....I never say it as a good or worth while movement when I was at the time able to do heavy squats, deadlifts, weighted hyper extensions etc.....I have never hurt myself lifting weights except the time I slipped on a candy wrapper someone idiot had left on the floor while I was squatting.

I think you can google Bruce Lee and isometrics and get a lot of info on his 10 or 12 isometric exercises's he did religiously with a chain device.

I would get the following books if you want you replicate his type of traits.

Bill Star's "Only the Strong Survive" Excellent meat and Patatoes book on getting strong for sports.

John E Petersons " Isometric Revolution" The best single book ever written on Isometrics and quasi isometrics easily the same as 5-6 other past out of print books on the subject.

Charels Staely's "Escalating Density Training"

If you are not up to date on all the various Body Weight Movements you will need to get a good book onthem. John Peterson has one called "Pushing Yourself To Power" and that is a good book on Body Weight with an introduction to DSR=Dynamic Self Resistance and VRT or DVR Dynamic Visulized Resistance training both are what the Russian Called Loadless Training. I am sure their are other's but it has been a while since i have read a BWE training book that I liked other then his. SOme on here like Emint Ross but I havenot read his stuff. If my Library get's it in sometime maybe I will read it!LOL

From a practical stand point what do you have experience with like weights, body weight training ????? How many years? What is your goal?

Dominator350
Oct 08, 2010, 02:22 AM
I'll be fucking dead honest. It sounds a lot like bruce lee was famous because he combined maximum strength with intense conditioning, and no fighter really did that shit back in the day. All those combat athletes in the sixties and seventies never fucking went for maximal strength exertion.

Least thats what it seems like from what I'm reading from everybody.

TheStandardOilBandit
Oct 08, 2010, 02:25 PM
Im pretty sure a few of you have heard of the Bruce Lee library put together by John Little. Linda Lee Caldwell his wife opened his personal library and notes up to him and he has written quite a few books about Lee, his life, philosophy, put out a collection of news articles on him, Jeet Kune Do notes and which are all part of the Bruce Lee Library series. I own about 3 of the books.

Anyways he has one that is based on his fitness notes, the 1st 3rd is some of the routines he done, with exercise descriptions and in some chapters notes. The second 3rd is chapters on different exercises for specific areas of the body split into chapters also with Bruces notes in each chapter related to the topic of it. The last 3rd however is what i think most of you would be interested in as it his a look into how his training methods evolved, excerpts of his personal training diary in 1968, a compendium of different training routines he had, and an appendix with his vital statistics and the marcy circuit trainer which the John Little was lucky enough to have given to him.

It was donated to a University in China by Linda after he died because she wouldnt be needing it and thought it unnecessary to do so because of cost etc. John Little in his writings did some digging found out where it went, they got it back and Linda gave it to John which he currently owns and trains on.

Bruce did ALOT of training. Which isnt really a big suprise. Put in the work indeed. A book that is also part of the library which you combat guys would definitely enjoy reading is the Jeet Kune Do Commentary. Im not into combat (thinking about getting into some self defense maybe as i was taught to box by former stepfather when i was young but never needed it in high school based due to my reputation for being able to defend myself well) but these notes are invaluable and most of you guys would probably learn much from them. He definitely looked at all aspects of combat in an extremely in depth manner.

If any of you are interested in getting them you can grab any of that range from Tuttle Publishing. My former step father randomly gave them to me a few years back. Was a great gift.

phrak
Oct 08, 2010, 03:00 PM
I think you can google Bruce Lee and isometrics and get a lot of info on his 10 or 12 isometric exercises's he did religiously with a chain device.

This is the second time I've seen you mention isometrics... do you use isometrics in your workout?

Journeyman
Oct 08, 2010, 03:03 PM
Onelasttime is a virtual spammer about isometrics and that transformetrics forum.

And his outlandish claims have become somewhat infamous.

Dominator350
Oct 08, 2010, 04:14 PM
Onelasttime is a virtual spammer about isometrics and that transformetrics forum.

And his outlandish claims have become somewhat infamous.

There is some serious truth in the mans bullshit.

Journeyman
Oct 08, 2010, 06:51 PM
Isometrics are awesome, I'm not arguing that. But I've gone over this before... onelasttime claims that whatever training he espouses is backed up with his own personal experience. And it isn't. He's been everywhere, done everything, leg pressed 1000 lb for 100 reps, fought so many street fights he can talk about weapons used in terms of percentages, been a champion in a half dozen sports, and claims to be able to bench 450 cold, anytime he wants.... he gives proof of any of that crap and I'll start taking him seriously.
That said, I'm not disagreeing with him just because he's a douche. Isometrics are great.