PDA

View Full Version : Jeet Kune Do vs Kali

SAS 22
May 27, 2010, 04:20 AM
Hey guys just wondering which martial art you think i should learn. Positives and negatives for both would bne helpful.

Journeyman
May 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
Depends on the teacher. Sorry.

I really don't believe that any 'style' is inherently better than another.

NoIronBars
May 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
Depends on the teacher. Sorry.

I really don't believe that any 'style' is inherently better than another.

X1

Demarcoa is 100% right. My advice would be to ask the instructors if you could watch or participate in a class and do whichever one seems better for you.

cheesedog
May 28, 2010, 12:46 AM
There was a time if you learned Jeet kune do you also learned a good amount of kali, because it was part of the curriculum, along with Western boxing, savate, thai kickboxing, and several other martial arts. From what I have heard and read nowadays most jeet kune do schools pretty much specialize in Muay Thai and BJJ. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. Most pure kali schools will have little or no ground work so if that's a consideration you might want to go with the JKD.

GuroKevin
Jun 02, 2010, 07:28 PM
No matter what you take (JKD, Wing Chun, BJJ, Thai Boxing, Kali etc..), You must make sure that they cover ALL areas of combat. Stand-up fighting, Groundfighting, Weapons (both training you how to use them and how to deal with them), dealing with multiple attackers, confined spaces, etc..

Flipessorry
Jun 02, 2010, 08:14 PM
No matter what you take (JKD, Wing Chun, BJJ, Thai Boxing, Kali etc..), You must make sure that they cover ALL areas of combat. Stand-up fighting, Groundfighting, Weapons (both training you how to use them and how to deal with them), dealing with multiple attackers, confined spaces, etc..

Epic post! 4th since September of '06. We're not worthy, we're not worthy!! :-D

silentassassin
Jun 02, 2010, 10:25 PM
I would say Jeet Kune Do is the best "style" hands down, execpt its not a style... its a concept. Basically you can do what ever you want, use any part of any style you want. Take MMA for example, most they one or two styles very well but they can take a move from any style. Some take moves for many styles and make it their own. These people are practicing JKD. If you really think about it is a natural thing, I know I practiced JKD before I ever heard of it or bruce lee. Even with in a sport (although limited by the rules) it is natural to have your own style. Take wrestling for example, some like to distract you and quickly shoot in, some like to control their oponent before taking them down, some like to play defence and turn the opponents takedown into his own, some like to sweep, some like to do single legs. Do you see my point, you must make a martial art your own. That is the concept of JKD.