PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighter

garycoppola
Apr 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
This isn't training related but on the most recent episode of the Ultimate Fighter coach Tito Ortiz hits a door in a fit of rage and if you watch closely you can see the hinge pins were removed in advance so the door would fall for dramatic affect.I am a carpenter and a door would not break in that manner[the wood jam would split or the screws would pull out but all 3 1/4 steel hinge pins would not shear].
Not looking to put anyone down but the audience should not be insulted.

rickvv
Apr 24, 2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that's the second time that I can remember, of a door being destroyed on the show. It's a little corny, but it still beats bigtime wrestling. I still remember having debates when I was a kid, whether bigtime wrestling was real or not. Some of my friends (or maybe just people that I knew) thought that it might have been. Are there still people out there that think that bigtime wrestling is real? It's hard for me to believe that there could be, but I don't know. It sure has alot of fans.

Erik
Apr 24, 2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, that's the second time that I can remember, of a door being destroyed on the show. It's a little corny, but it still beats bigtime wrestling. I still remember having debates when I was a kid, whether bigtime wrestling was real or not. Some of my friends (or maybe just people that I knew) thought that it might have been. Are there still people out there that think that bigtime wrestling is real? It's hard for me to believe that there could be, but I don't know. It sure has alot of fans.

WRESTLING ISN"T REAL? :shock: OH MY GOD!!!!

On a serious note, I got to do some work with a guy who taught old-time professional wrestling (Tony Wolfe; fight director, wrestler back in his youth). Back then, the rule was, always do techniques on the left arm. Because the right arm signs for the paycheque.

Cool stuff. Lots of fun.

gilstrap
Apr 25, 2010, 05:51 AM
This isn't training related but on the most recent episode of the Ultimate Fighter coach Tito Ortiz hits a door in a fit of rage and if you watch closely you can see the hinge pins were removed in advance so the door would fall for dramatic affect.I am a carpenter and a door would not break in that manner[the wood jam would split or the screws would pull out but all 3 1/4 steel hinge pins would not shear].

loosen up gary its tv....what you wanna see a bunch of twats sat around doing crosswords

mcem222
Apr 25, 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm no carpenter, but that looked like bullshit to me. They really hyped that clip, playing it in commercials.

Cottonmouth
Apr 25, 2010, 10:29 PM

Don't know about the pin part, but I do remember last season when Rampage Jackson kept breaking the doors Dana White commented on how he was glad that they buy the cheap doors. I guess they were expecting a lot of door damage so they bought breakaway doors for effect.

getgoin
Apr 27, 2010, 04:56 PM
I seen the door thing on the commercials, looked like BS. I pay attention to the fights, during the rest of the show, I'll do dishes, or laundry or something else while the drama plays out. It's all hogwash anyway. Some of the fights have been pretty good this season.

cheesedog
Apr 28, 2010, 12:40 AM
I usually just tape the show and watch the training and the fights and fast forward through the drama.

Raja
May 03, 2010, 01:05 AM
I stopped watching that show after a girlfriend criticized me for watching the 'male version of a soap opera'. This was shortly after I got on her for watching 'Bold and the Beautiful' :p

oliver04
May 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
I saw that too. So cheesy -- definitely the last time I'm tuning in.

getgoin
May 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
That was a good fight last night. The ground work was more than I expected. I thought it would be a quick fight, but there you go.

tictac1
May 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
I used to be amazed people thought pro wrestling was real, now I'm amazed they think UFC is real...:)

Anybody remember Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler?? Those two had people fooled for 10 years AFTER Andy died. Kaufman proved that the general public is dumb as dirt, they will believe anything they see on the TV.

Tgarber77
May 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
I am fortunate enough to be friends with Jorge Gurgel, and aquainted with Rich Franklin(both who were on the show a few seasons ago), who trains at my friend Jorge's Dojo. Both of them have said that alot of the drama starts off real, then the contestants are asked to exaggerate the situation for the camera. That's show business for you I guess.

getgoin
May 14, 2010, 12:34 AM
Anybody remember Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler?? Those two had people fooled for 10 years AFTER Andy died.

You truly cannot be serious with the reference to Andy Kaufman. He was a known comic, from stand up to Taxi. It was known that his appearance was not legit, in any form. Hell, only children thought that performance wrestling wasn't/isn't real. I remember watching Andy Kaufman, stand up, Taxi, wrestling and I must say, he was a great performer. To liken a performer as Andy Kaufman, to TUF drama not a qualified comparison. On one hand you have a known performer, performing a part, on the other,a group of fighters who have fighting on their minds, and the drama is produced on a cutting room floor.

Now, by no means would I even come close to defending what is portrayed on TUF close to real life, acting, or any other reasonable form of entertainment. The doors coming off the hinges, and all of the other BS that goes along with it is nonsense. However, the fighting is real.

You would have been better off comparing, TUF to the "The Real Life."

eelnymmat123
Jun 27, 2010, 12:14 PM
i can remember at least one other occasion with rampage jackson aka crap ba

snobwc
Aug 02, 2010, 06:44 AM
ever since about 5th grade, everyone at school had been going on about how fake it was, except for that 1 wrestling enthusiest lol

979roadrunner
Aug 02, 2010, 03:22 PM
WRESTLING ISN"T REAL? :shock: OH MY GOD!!!!

On a serious note, I got to do some work with a guy who taught old-time professional wrestling (Tony Wolfe; fight director, wrestler back in his youth). Back then, the rule was, always do techniques on the left arm. Because the right arm signs for the paycheque.

Cool stuff. Lots of fun.

What do you mean wrestling isn't real? of course it's real! Real funny! Real fake! Real boring, exept for the fake 'matches.'

Almost forgot real choreographed. And boring