PDA

View Full Version : Combat sambo

BigBasti
Jan 31, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hey guys I just read about it and I would like to know what is like, If anyone tried it yet. Does it more rely on short strikes and kicks or rather on locks in any way?
Whats the distinction between sambo, combat sambo, or for exaple jiu-jitsu?

Thanks in advance to anyone sharing information on this!

Fatman
Jan 31, 2010, 02:50 PM
I looked into it when I was into judo.

It is strikes and throws, locks seem to be sort of secondary. The strikes are reasonable practical strikes, not the McDojo roundhouse high kicks and that crap. Of course, you have the original thing (it is a competitive sport in its native Russia) and about 10 different offshoots, enough variation to suit everyone.

garythenuke
Jan 31, 2010, 07:55 PM
It's Fedor's hobby and actually sport of choice. From what I understand, Sambo was one of the things that kept Fedor out of the UFC. Dana said "no more Sambo" and Fedor said " поцелуйте мою задницу". Or something like that...

Tgarber77
Jan 31, 2010, 08:10 PM
traditional sambo is just like judo without the the chokes(illegal move in the sport of sambo) and more leg locks. combat sambo utilizes the same techniques as traditional, but of course chokes strikes and anything else is allowed in a REAL combative situation.

GeoZim
Jan 31, 2010, 09:21 PM
Isn't Sambo the art that Scott Sonnon practices?

Fatman
Feb 01, 2010, 03:10 AM
It's Fedor's hobby and actually sport of choice. From what I understand, Sambo was one of the things that kept Fedor out of the UFC. Dana said "no more Sambo" and Fedor said " поцелуйте мою задницу". Or something like that...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

olinek
Feb 01, 2010, 10:22 AM
поцелуйте мою задницу >> potsyeluytye moju zadnitsu >> kiss my ass

haha seems pretty badass of a sport. Just looks fun. I got an apparently very good club here where I live but its too damn expensive and don't have the freetime or schedule.. Ehh I wonder if they give discounts to their slav cousins.

BigBasti
Feb 01, 2010, 10:50 AM
thanks for all those replies guys...
I just looked it up on wikpedia and it sounded like this " ultimate martial art".
Im quite sceptical to accept such a statement but I couldnt but get the feeling that is has some kind of elite status in russia.

At least in terms of who is being taught that art.
What do you guys think??
@garythenuke:LOL

olinek
Feb 01, 2010, 11:24 AM
well the thing is.. do you really think something created by them red ruskis has potential of being bullshit. Sure they were full of shit in the sense that party meetings required you to wear a red tie and call each other tovarysz but when it comes to killing people.. they didn't fuck around.

Granted what it has become I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I91IxFhWHSA

garythenuke
Feb 01, 2010, 11:39 AM
@garythenuke:LOL

I come up with a good one now and then...

BigBasti
Feb 01, 2010, 01:09 PM
yea i noticed while reading a couple of your posts in this forum;)
I just watched the human weapon episode about sambo. It the series you can/could see on history channel and which is now on youtube.. Its quite interesting! Recommended

Fatman
Feb 01, 2010, 01:35 PM
Ehh I wonder if they give discounts to their slav cousins.

Surely not to Polaks... not a whole lotta love lost between you guys and the Russkies...

getgoin
May 02, 2010, 07:27 AM
The difference in the type are simple, you have Sambo, which is sport Sambo. What you will see guy like Fedor, Igor Yakimov, Andre Arlovski, Scott Sonnan, LAnce Cambell doing. Two people, in a circle, one in red, the other in blue, orientated much like a judo match. Combat sambo was originally designed for military personnel. However, over the years it has turned more MMA in nature. It was originally more simular to what Vladimir Vesiliev and Systema do, than the UFC. Lately a new breed of Sambo has been coming about, Freestyle Sambo, or American Freestyle Sambo I don't know too much about this so I will leave it for someone else.

Tgarber77
May 02, 2010, 11:04 AM
Systema is a solid self defense system... defininently a different training style then other fighting systems.

Zacdog
May 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have trained in Sambo under a black belt who received his BB from Gokor (sp?) who is one of the big names in the sport along with a BB in Brazilian jujitsu. In actuality modern Sambo (and I say that for all arts develop and adapt) is very much like Brazilian jujitsu in the ground fighting. The big difference is that BJJ does very little leg locks and no leg locks in the lower belts. In Sambo we did leg locks, ankle locks, heal hooks, knee pinches etc. from day one. When I say it is like BJJ most sambo practitioners train at grappling schools and if not actually being specifically trained in BJJ are at least exposed to the techniques. In Sambo we did practice strikes, all basic and effective (i.e. quick straight kick to the knee, no high kicks). The conditioning was intense but this might have been my instructor. We would do drills where multiple people would attack us and we would on occasion practice knife and gun disarms along with wrist locks. These are not things you get in most BJJ schools so over all I think Sambo is a little more well rounded.

T-M-D
May 15, 2010, 07:34 PM
Systema is a solid self defense system... defininently a different training style then other fighting systems.

Systema is a bit sketchy at times, they take the idea of minimum effort to maximum effect way too far, sometimes putting themselves at huge unnecessary risk (especially with knife stuff), however there's a lot of good stuff there and the understanding of the body mechanics involved is phenomenal. I really like the 'heavy hands' from system, that shit really works. But I couldn't really engage with a lot of the other stuff, it's not aggressive enough for me really, which is why I like (and train) Krav Maga.