PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your hands up - Boxing

ben1250
Nov 05, 2009, 06:31 PM
Recently started sparring and doing a bit with bags after upping fitness, can't keep my hands up after throwing punches for love nor money becoming irratating even though trying really hard anyone got any tips or techniques that work better or ways to keep focussed on hands ?

I keep trying to concentrate fully on hands up then my stance goes to pot, cant win. replies would be much appreciated guys

Erik
Nov 05, 2009, 07:55 PM
Recently started sparring and doing a bit with bags after upping fitness, can't keep my hands up after throwing punches for love nor money becoming irratating even though trying really hard anyone got any tips or techniques that work better or ways to keep focussed on hands ?

I keep trying to concentrate fully on hands up then my stance goes to pot, cant win. replies would be much appreciated guys

Have someone work with you while you are working on the bag. Every time you drop your guard, they hit you in the face.

Now, I don't mean they haul off and knock you into next week. Instead, have them wearing a glove, and giving you quick jabs to the face every time your guard is down. That develops the habit of keeping your guard up.

Also, stand in front of a mirror and practice every punch you use (jab, reverse, hook, uppercut), slowly at first, and every time you throw a punch, go back to guard. Once you do it slow, start shadowboxing in front of the mirror. Again, watch to make sure your hands are up.

It's a habit you have to learn, and it just takes practice. Those are two of my favourite drills. Hope they help.

MF!
Nov 05, 2009, 09:00 PM
as erik said, its all a matter of practice. it took me some time to get the gist of combining stance and striking technique and all that jazz. its just a matter of "perfect practice makes perfect." be consistent, start slow, and as you get more comfortable speed up your movements

TheMasterKey
Nov 05, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yep, lot of practice

rikrock
Nov 05, 2009, 11:00 PM
The more you get hit the more you will keep your hands up:wink: Shadow box more, with or without a mirror. This is going to sound stupid but it will work, when you shadow box tell yourself to keep your hands up OUT LOUD. I don't mean scream it just make it verbal so you can hear yourself say it. There is a greater connection between the brain with verbal commands. Repetition is the key to any success. Also every night just before you go to sleep repeat the verbal commands again to keep your hands up for 5 minutes (again out loud). Do the same thing in the morning when you wake.

MF!
Nov 05, 2009, 11:02 PM
another thing is to do exercises with the arms in the same position...

squats, sit ups, running... anything you can think of that you can do and kee your hands in that position.... it sorta helped me a bit..

Raja
Nov 06, 2009, 02:12 AM
I have the same issue. Speedbag training is also very useful.

EvilOne
Nov 06, 2009, 02:26 AM
well as silly as it may sound, I used to press the gloves into my cheeks. While doing bag work or shadow, it was easy to feel when they dropped. with A little time, sparring worked the same way. But all of thses guys have more experience than I do.

gilstrap
Nov 06, 2009, 02:06 PM
The more you get hit the more you will keep your hands up:wink: Shadow box more, with or without a mirror. This is going to sound stupid but it will work, when you shadow box tell yourself to keep your hands up OUT LOUD. I don't mean scream it just make it verbal so you can hear yourself say it. There is a greater connection between the brain with verbal commands. Repetition is the key to any success. Also every night just before you go to sleep repeat the verbal commands again to keep your hands up for 5 minutes (again out loud). Do the same thing in the morning when you wake.

yah just dont do it in a fight or you will get your jaw broke

ben1250
Nov 07, 2009, 08:28 AM
Cheers for such quick reply's werent expecting this many, did a little bit of shadow boxing with mirror last night and kept hands up slightly more than normal great advice about doing other activitys with hands above head such as sit ups etc that will come in handy.

Only started recently so hopefully your advice will be of great use guys thanks.

Dominator350
Nov 07, 2009, 02:38 PM
Shadow box till your shoulders feel like molten lead, fuckin do it in front of a mirror and keep your shoulders hunched up to protect your jawbone, then work slow from technique, and increase speed.

The best way to increase shoulder endurance in boxing technique is to shadow box like you fucking mean it.

AshersUK
Nov 07, 2009, 04:12 PM

This made me laugh, when I started Muai Thai once a week, more for a laugh with a mate, wasn't expecting anything serious, we always sparred together, little jabs, the odd kick and knee thrown in for spite.. I had the option to spar with the gym instructor who is the ISKA Super Middle Weight World Champion.. He taught me to block and follow up. He raise his knee and I saw it perfectly and in perfect timing I blocked with my hands, I thought it was a fast reaction considering he was a world champion, till he hit me in the face and I was on my arse wondering what gym I'd been knocked into.

Since then I've always kept 1 hand up.

Really what Erik said is true, get a sparring partner that's advanced and can see where you're faulting and learn on it. Getting punched in the face is not pleasant even with gloves on and you'll soon learn to keep your guard up, trust me.

Good luck with it.

ARealLifePowerRanger
Nov 09, 2009, 01:38 PM
Slow down the sparring. Explain your sparring partner your situation. Sparring is not about winning or loosing, it is not about getting your ass kick. Though a good ass kicking can be the best learning session - but for you, you need to learn through repetition.

Next time you spar focus on keeping your hands up but slow down the speed of the punches and kicks. Giving you more time to react and adjust.

Another suggestion would be through common training methods such as Shadow Boxing and hitting the Heavy Bag. Imagine there is an opponent before you not just a mirror or bag. Every punch you throw before you send out another focus on snapping your hands back. WHEN you do have your hands in the proper posistion do not just sit there and throw another. MOVE, parry, duck, counter, exct. But at all times make sure your hands are where they belong.