PDA

View Full Version : Nunchucks

Raja
Oct 06, 2009, 11:29 PM
Just bought some foam padded nunchucks, sort of spur of the moment. Kinda wanted to try something new especially since I can't do any bagwork due to shoulder pain. Anyone done training with nunchucks?

I found this:
http://www.philelmore.com/download-beamartialist/street_chucks.pdf

Seems okay as a manual, but I don't really know much about nunchucks. Any advice for beginners?

sulsa
Oct 08, 2009, 05:08 PM
Get real wooden ones. You'll learn faster ;)

rikrock
Oct 08, 2009, 09:11 PM
Raja, do you mean they are foam all the way through? If that is the case they are to light to do anything with really. I got through some basic moves pretty good when I was a bit younger. Just remember when you hit something follow through or you'll wake up next week with a concussion:lol: Friend of mine attacked a garbage can with an overhand down to the top of the can didn't follow through and was out cold for 10 minutes. I think it was ten minutes I was laughing so hard I could'nt keep track!

TheMasterKey
Oct 08, 2009, 11:10 PM
My dad also knew some guy who knocked himself out with nunchucks. Stick with the padded ones for a while ;-)

Raja
Oct 09, 2009, 02:05 AM
Rik- the ones I have are just foam coated. The only foam ones seem like kids toys.

I'm not worried about getting knocked out, I'm more concerned about my boys lol. Gotta remember the follow through.

Lovro
Oct 09, 2009, 05:55 AM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4796/picture1dn.png

You had seen this picture and you're still planning to play with these things?

Nunchaku for self-defense, really, lame Phil? That's just as practical as refrigerator for self-defense.

Fatman
Oct 09, 2009, 07:14 AM

Nunchaku for self-defense, really, lame Phil? That's just as practical as refrigerator for self-defense.

Who the F leaked this photo of me during ninja basic training? I'm soooo suing you guys.

steveobur1000
Oct 09, 2009, 08:37 AM
Done a little 'chuck training over the years and i would also say get a real wooden set. The foam ones are a waste of time. Also make sure they have string/rope rather then a chain joining them. These type work more smoothly. Be prepared for some bruises as well. It is all part of the learning process ;0).

I did see something on the TV recently that showed how 'chucks are a less effective weapon then a lot of people think. In the 1970's early 80's the sell of them was illegal over here in the UK, because football hooligans went out and bought them after watching Bruce Lee movies. But this show i saw said because the 'chucks are in two parts they loss a large part of there force when you strike with them. They were a lot less effective even compared to say a two foot long Kali stick.

For those of you who maybe interested (oh come on one of you must be) the Bo staff was found to be pretty much a waste of time also because it was too long. The large amount of force generated made it break easily when it came into contact with something hard. Say someones head. But you are going to be pretty screwed on the battlefield after killing one enermy and you are stood there with a broken stick in your hand.

rikrock
Oct 09, 2009, 09:35 AM
Chucks are more versital though like for choking and arm bar variations you get great pressure with the rope or chain when it's around someones neck and you squeeze those sticks together:twisted:

EvilOne
Oct 09, 2009, 09:55 AM
Who the F leaked this photo of me during ninja basic training? I'm soooo suing you guys.

[quote=Lovro;160642]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4796/picture1dn.png

Could this be onelasttime????

olinek
Oct 09, 2009, 10:07 AM
onelasttime said he weighs over 300 lbs.

gilstrap
Oct 09, 2009, 01:13 PM
whats with all the weapons training raja ..you aint going flipside are u

Raja
Oct 12, 2009, 09:07 PM
whats with all the weapons training raja ..you aint going flipside are u

LOL!! Nah, hurt my shoulder so I can't do the heavy bag. I also happen to like hitting things. Seems like escrima and nunchucks are a healthy compromise :)

steveobur-

Good idea on the wooden chucks. I recently broke my pair with a chain attached to it.

I agree on the nunchucks effectiveness. The Kali Escrima sticks are waaay more effective a weapon. Probably the best hand weapon out there that's not a blade.

Lovro-

:) That's why I was questioning whether or not the instruction manual was good. Although what we do know is that nunchucks are probably not effective as an exercise tool.

Erik
Oct 12, 2009, 11:37 PM
For those of you who maybe interested (oh come on one of you must be) the Bo staff was found to be pretty much a waste of time also because it was too long. The large amount of force generated made it break easily when it came into contact with something hard. Say someones head. But you are going to be pretty screwed on the battlefield after killing one enermy and you are stood there with a broken stick in your hand.

But interestingly, the quarterstaff, which is a six-foot length of hardwood, not tapered, works pretty well under the same circumstances.

And apropos of nothing, was called the quarterstaff because it was one quarter the length of a pike.

cheesedog
Oct 13, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm reasonably sure that the bo staff that was tested was a modern tournement version.
They are made to be much lighter so you can do the fast flashy stuff.

Yetzirah
Jan 30, 2010, 03:06 PM
I use the metal variety-- chrome ones, but ive trained with them for years. Its really awesome for forearms and wrist, toning exct. Id at least work real hard at getting the dexterity down with the padded ones first. Double weapons are amazing for cardio too in my opinion, especially with constant moving around-- just takes a while to develop the coordination. Not sure if youre still working with them-- I just noticed the post was from a while back, but figured id give it a shot. Weapons work is something that i think adds unique dimensions to training. Cheers and good luck!

Raja
Feb 01, 2010, 01:37 AM
I should be getting a set of wooden ones soon, I've been toying with foam ones so far. I've been focusing more on the knife more than anything else. My bum right shoulder really hinders my training. Never really thought of weapons training as cardio though, will have to check it out :)

Yetzirah
Feb 01, 2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPLek4LsFE

These guys certainly have a blast utilizing it. Not traditional, but certainly has it's benefits--

Raja
Feb 02, 2010, 02:57 AM
Impressive. I've always wanted to try out competitive escrima fighting. No schools in my area thougj:(

Yetzirah
Feb 02, 2010, 03:48 AM
Escrima is def fun. I love double stick work. I have my own way of doing but it seems to work. I'll prob post sparring vids at some point. I watched a vid of krav manga i think its called-- the guys were using bokkens against the older teacher-- dam it was sweet-- In fact, im going to post it, im sure you'll dig. The old guy at the end is flipping awesome. I do alot of bokken sparring but would hardly trust going that fast. Excellent precision in terms of blocking that these guys got. They use whats caled reverse guard and can pull it off up close as well without being intimidated. So many ppl comment and say its all drills and they know what the other guys gonna do-- but it only looks that way cause theyre good at intercepting near the first 3rd of the blade-- and that lets the momentum of combos stay continuous rather than blunt force and sheer shock. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-TytzvopOY

Raja
Feb 04, 2010, 03:02 AM
I've been lucky enough to train bokken and escrima. Filipino martial arts are by far the best weapons training out there imo.

cheesedog
Feb 05, 2010, 01:26 AM
I've been lucky enough to train bokken and escrima. Filipino martial arts are by far the best weapons training out there imo.

Great for empty handed training too. Don't forget that the exact same routines work for striking and standing grappling as well as sticks and knives.

sycho
May 13, 2010, 03:38 AM
My dad also knew some guy who knocked himself out with nunchucks. Stick with the padded ones for a while ;-)
That's how you learn. LOL

sycho
May 13, 2010, 03:51 AM
Done a little 'chuck training over the years and i would also say get a real wooden set. The foam ones are a waste of time. Also make sure they have string/rope rather then a chain joining them. These type work more smoothly. Be prepared for some bruises as well. It is all part of the learning process ;0).

I did see something on the TV recently that showed how 'chucks are a less effective weapon then a lot of people think. In the 1970's early 80's the sell of them was illegal over here in the UK, because football hooligans went out and bought them after watching Bruce Lee movies. But this show i saw said because the 'chucks are in two parts they loss a large part of there force when you strike with them. They were a lot less effective even compared to say a two foot long Kali stick.

What are you trying to kill someone? Don't strike w/ the middle of the bo like you see in demos LOL , strike w/ the last 3 inches. You get more leverage and power that way. I've broken plenty of wooden chucks in my time, and I'm sure you're well aware that there are harder woods like cocobolo (I think I spelled that right) that's used for nicer kali sticks.

sycho
May 13, 2010, 04:10 AM
you should checkout www.dogbrothers.com (http://www.dogbrothers.com)