PDA

View Full Version : Sandbag and shadowboxing circuit

Dominator350
Sep 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
Anybody got any ideas for a conditioning circuit comprised of sandbag lifts and shadowboxing? Together theyre really taxing.

Basically ive been doing sets of five sandbag lifts. I deadlift it, then, resting it on my knees, exhale, inhale once more to straighten out my back, then, bear-hugging it stand up straight. It is kinda like a deadlift and half squat, bearhugging the weight instead of resting it on collarbones or traps. But five of them in a row, proper technique will wind me pretty bad. So typically i just do...

sandbag lifts 3 sets by 5 reps
shadowboxing 5-10 minutes

This does the trick but was there a way to make things harder? More like a real conditioning workout, with circuits?

Honestly the sandbags awesome, added some variety ive been training every day and getting more and more used to the weight. Instead of rendering it to not be lose, im just going to wait till i get stronger and then fill it up completely.

Turns out I can shadow box really effectively too theirs a huge fucking mirror in my room on the closet doors, i can check technique and everything.

TheMasterKey
Sep 15, 2009, 09:03 PM
Shadowboxing for 20 or 30 seconds, then shoulder the bag. Repeating as fast as possible for either several 3 minutes rounds, a 10 minute time block, or whatever you like.

rikrock
Sep 15, 2009, 09:10 PM
What TMK said and or throw in some push ups 5 to 10 right after the sand bag and before the shadow boxing. Are you going hard on the shadow boxing? You should be shadow boxing like you are in a fight so be sure to move a good deal, stay busy and don't just admire yourself in the mirror;)

cheesedog
Sep 16, 2009, 01:15 AM
You could do something like this:

Sandbag bearhug squat x 5
shadowbox x 1 minute
sandbag shouldering x 3/3
drop sandbag, put your feet on the bag and do pushups x 30 seconds
shadowbox x 1 minute
handstand pushups x 5
rest 1 minute and repeat

Raja
Sep 16, 2009, 01:55 AM
How heavy is the sandbag btw?

I'd say just mix it up. Some days do 30 s shadowboxing, then 5 sandbag lifts, next day 1 min shadowboxing, then 2 sandbag lifts, etc.

I just got a sandbag, and I'm fond of shadowboxing (mainly for technique, not conditioning). Should try some stuff out soon.

One more question.. do you work power during shadowboxing or just speed?

Dominator350
Sep 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Rik you think im just some pretty boy motherfucker staring at myself in the mirror eh. JES-uuuuuuuuus...

Raja the sandbag is around 225.

Cheesedog thats a good one, im going to use that tomorrow.

I move nonstop, going really slow at first to get the technique down, not punching every thirty seconds and breathing like a retard, just moving slow to form the technique, gradually increasing speed till im in a battle frenzy. Jab jab right straight jab right straight left hook right cross jab jab HAYMAKER.

Im fuckin proud of the fact i got a haymaker in on a 180 pounder, shits not supposed to happen. Haymakers aren't supposed to happen in a fight period. Unless youre being cocky letting your guard down.

During my boxing year i learned working punching power was kinda useless. I could outlift and out do any of those fighters especcially the other heavyweights in any feat of strength. So all i figured to work on was speed, more power isn't going to save me with anything. I got the power, now i need to make it fast... again...

rikrock
Sep 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Rik you think im just some pretty boy motherfucker staring at myself in the mirror eh. JES-uuuuuuuuus...

Raja the sandbag is around 225.

Cheesedog thats a good one, im going to use that tomorrow.

I move nonstop, going really slow at first to get the technique down, not punching every thirty seconds and breathing like a retard, just moving slow to form the technique, gradually increasing speed till im in a battle frenzy. Jab jab right straight jab right straight left hook right cross jab jab HAYMAKER.

Im fuckin proud of the fact i got a haymaker in on a 180 pounder, shits not supposed to happen. Haymakers aren't supposed to happen in a fight period. Unless youre being cocky letting your guard down.

During my boxing year i learned working punching power was kinda useless. I could outlift and out do any of those fighters especcially the other heavyweights in any feat of strength. So all i figured to work on was speed, more power isn't going to save me with anything. I got the power, now i need to make it fast... again... I'll bet you keep a comb in your back pocket while shadow boxing:lol: I think you have inspired me for this months video contest! you are right about speed you already have the power but if you can't deliver it it's useless.

GeoZim
Sep 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hello Dom
My own routine with an old heavy bag is bearhug walks then squats and then slams. I also do good mornings and shoulder carries. Just picking the bag off the floor and throwing it over my shoulder on to the ground behind me is a good mobility routine as well, it's like a double leg takedown in wrestling but continue the motion over the shoulder. Attaching a rope to the bag and dragging it like a sled or a long rope and pull it toward you hand over hand. Shadow boxing is an art I never engaged in, I just learn to throw punches and combination on the heavy bag- the one still hanging up.:)

Dominator350
Sep 19, 2009, 02:31 PM
thanks geo, i gotta be real careful with my sandbag though. Its all loose and i don't trust it, could see it exploding one day. The bottom is always hard as a rock unless i roll it out. i handle it like im carrying a human with a broken spine. Still, it allows for more controlled slower, and safer strength development.

Raja
Sep 19, 2009, 04:05 PM
225lbs?? Nice! I've got a duffel bag meant for climbers and such, so far it holds up to 300lbs. Havent done any heavyduty stuff, just deadlifts (with 130lbs).
I agree that sandbags (and of course boxes of sand :) ) are a safer way to build strength. Imo, they're better for practical applications.

Has anyone tried shadowboxing with a weighted vest or heavy backpack?

rikrock
Sep 19, 2009, 09:28 PM
Has anyone tried shadowboxing with a weighted vest or heavy backpack?
It is somewhat irrelevant for shadow boxing. If you focus on pivots and bending at the knees 6 inches it has some benefit but overall shadow boxing is for speed and technique. IMO it is to simulate a real fight. that is as you shadow box you are against an opponent and should shadow box accordingly. Same thing on the bag. I know this sounds obvious but many people are not thinking that way when training on the bags, etc. Granted if you have not been in the ring it may all be lost on you or you must watch those in the ring and pick up the moves. You learn through repetition so every time you are throwing a punch it should count and soon it becomes 2nd nature.

IronWolverine
Nov 03, 2009, 09:30 AM
i don't do the sand bag training,but shadow box with some weights in your hand works.