PDA

View Full Version : Xingyiquan

Freeman
Sep 06, 2009, 11:05 AM
Anyone know of a Xingyi group or organization near Knoxville, TN?

For the curious, I've been looking into this discipline for a year or so now.

Xingyi is an internal art, with mostly linear, double limb strikes, from what I've seen/read, that is known for an extremely aggressive nature. In full contact, anything goes Tournaments in China, these practicioners were known to kill and mame their opponents whereas other internal practicioners would leave it to beating them up, a bone snap if neccessary, or a simple knockout for the most part.

cheesedog
Sep 06, 2009, 08:21 PM
I learned the 5 element forms a few years ago. It IS a very straight forward and aggresive art (if not actually drilling right through and over an opponent). One of it's basic tenents is to occupy the ground your attacker occupies. In Chinese Kousho tornements there are a few Hsing-i practioners but there are lots more Choy Lee Fut and Hung Gar people from what I've heard, mostly because those two arts are just more popular. There isn't any deliberate killing or bone-breaking though, their rules are basically kickboxing with throws ( alot like Sanshou fights). Unless you're talking about some kind of "underground" illegal fighting which should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sorry don't know of any Hsing-i schools in Tennessee.

Freeman
Sep 06, 2009, 08:36 PM
Would you have the name of an instructor?Anyone, Anywhere?

They may be able to help me.

BTW, there is one local to me, but he is a fake, or a con-artist, at the least.

Freeman
Oct 04, 2009, 03:13 PM
Since I Must have ten characters...

Freeman
Oct 09, 2009, 04:25 PM
Just trying to bump the topic....Still looking....

Cheeze_Baron
Oct 09, 2009, 06:22 PM
Have you checked the yellow pages?

Freeman
Oct 09, 2009, 07:19 PM
Yes. And all I could find was the one above mentioned instructor.

stonetiger
Oct 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Check out Brian Phillips, or ask around on Emptyflower. There are tons of great Xingyi teachers all over, its just a matter of asking the right people the right question. Plz let me know if I can be any more help.

stonetiger
Oct 19, 2009, 10:37 AM
I will ask Brian if I can give you his number, and the best place to look is online. Here is a good place to check hsing-i.com, I can't post a link yet, so check the find a teacher link. I teach Xingyi and I'm listed on here as well. There are TONS of great teachers online, my personal view is that most of the teachers you find in the yellow pages will either charge too much or be too focused on getting you to come back next month to really spend time helping you to develop at your own pace. Anyways, peace!

Jesse