PDA

View Full Version : going to your knee when shooting a double or single in mma

crazydan
Aug 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
in wrestling we learned 2 differnt types of double and 2 types of sinlges
the double was a standing double/blast double where you just dropped your levela little bit and doing a double. the other is the classic double wher you drop to your knee nad do the penetration step. i know that the first one is used alot in mma but is the second one effective? same with the single is doing a low single(going ot your knee) good to use in mma or should i just stick with practicing my standing singles

kingshadowwolf
Aug 25, 2009, 08:06 AM
There both very effective and with a proper drive into the ground can put a opponent out on the drop, practice them both a lot, along with a raising take down as when its done properly can be devastating.

GeoZim
Aug 26, 2009, 08:45 PM
It's never either or
Both have their place and uses. What I would work on is the setup, pratice setting up each version from both sides and watch what the opponets body and weight transfer does as you execute.

andy3
Sep 26, 2009, 11:12 PM
i've been wondering this too. are you more vulnerable to knees when you drop to your knee?

GeoZim
Sep 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
That is why you practice the set up alot:)

phlex
Sep 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
It is only about protecting your knees from hitting the ground too hard. On mats, it's ok, you can drop your knee. On solid ground, it's another thing...

andy3
Sep 27, 2009, 04:19 PM
sorry, i didn't clearify. i meant knees from the opponent. like a knee to the face. i just don't see many people drop to their knee for a takedown in ufc.