PDA

View Full Version : body weight exercises for punching power

kvee
May 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi new here, Just wondering if anyone could let me know about any body weight exercises to develop crazy explosive punching power. Currently I have the rotating handles and I do a bunch of those for push ups. Any other type of exercises out there or types of push ups for punching power? tips anything can help :grin:

Dominator350
May 25, 2009, 04:51 PM
Rotating handles are kinda shit man. The only thing you could use WITH your bodyweight exercise is a medicine ball. So get that first off, get a 12 pounder or more. How heavy are you?
If you want your crazy punching power to go up id recommend the one arm pushup. Cause it focuses on the cores strength through the one arm. Try diamond pushups for more close grip strength.

or one hand on the med ball and one hand off, do 10 each side.

OneTruth13
May 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
-plyo pushups, all variations-

Dominator350
May 25, 2009, 05:08 PM
-plyo pushups, all variations-

yeah i forgot to mention this. A lot of the members here do plymetric pushups. Im kinda a boxer, i do a lot of shadow boxing.

I really like shadow boxing, i completely dropped all heavy bag work and went straight to shadow boxing, and consider myself the deadlier for it. Training your body to deliver the quickest most explosive punches then retracting each arm at a time to cover your face and ribs is a great idea for cardio, conditioning, and explosivness. So giver a try, find a mirror and punch your life away.

Silumguy
May 25, 2009, 05:16 PM
This really depends upon the type of punch you are talking about. I assume you mean a western boxing style cross. While chest strength is all well and good (and certainly will help), don't forget that most of the power from a punch comes from kinetic linking. So, as dominator touched on, anything that strengthens your legs or core helps significantly when punching properly.

Also, strengthening the stability of your forearms will help with punch penetration. Med ball pushups or spike pushups (http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8701) are good examples.

texaswolf
May 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
A lot of the power of a punch comes from the legs and hips as well. I would think any kind of explosive plyometric type bodyweight exercise would improve your punching power.

Dominator350
May 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
A lot of the power of a punch comes from the legs and hips as well. I would think any kind of explosive plyometric type bodyweight exercise would improve your punching power.

lunges are wicked. Fuck theres a ton of shit behind this. You can't just plan one good punch really, cause chances are something will fuck up.

pasychosheep
May 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
Well, power in punching comes from speed. At least, impact for exerted does. Force=mass X acceleration^2 So, for every bit you increase your acceleration, your force exerted increases by the same amount to the power of two. Adding mass behind your punch will increase the force as well, albeit at a slower rate with earlier diminishing gains.

Keep in mind, though, that acceleration isn't velocity, it's the distance an object needs to travel to reach a certain velocity from a point. So, if someone with longer arms reaches 50 MPH in the same amount of time it takes your fist to reach 50 MPH, their punch is gonna hit harder because it had to travel a farther distance and therefore accelerate faster than yours.

Enough science(I just love to tell people about that stuff, it's so simple when you get it). Fact is, you need to do a few things. You need to increase your overall core strength, because punches get their strength and reinforcement from the legs, stomach, and back. You need to increase your overall fast twitch muscle count, especially in your arms, since they're traveling the farthest distance(remember acceleration vs velocity), and you need to increase your flexibility, which will, in turn, allow your muscles to contract faster(velocity gain), and increase your range of motion(distance gain).

Plyo wide grip pushups, plyo close grip pushups, and if you can do em, plyo handstand pushups. A lot of people go with clap pushups for their plyo pushups, but I prefer to just pop off the ground as high as I can. I find if I do clap pushups I tend to cheat and scoop my hands in to clap rather than popping high. Lying on your back and throwing a medicine ball up in the air is good, too, but remember that if you train your body to move more force at once, you'll be able to move quicker with less weight.

Besides this, do plyo pullups, chinups, and rows. These will kill but they'll help you on retracting your hands quicker, as well as increase overall upper body strength. Calf-jump stair climbs(one legged if you can manage it), will take care of your calves, and squat jumps will take care of your quads. Planks will go for core strength. For your abs, do crunches, but fast, while raising your hips. When I say fast I don't mean rapid succession, I mean contract as quickly as you can, but pause between each rep so you don't rely on kinetic assistance. You want to be starting from a dead stop every crunch.

Besides all this, at least a couple times a week find a heavy bag of a decent weight and just do a couple sets of punch-outs. Punch-outs you just hit the bag as fast as you can without worrying about form. The only thing you worry about is getting your hands all the way out to full extension and all the way back to guard. I usually do these in thirty second stints.

Sorry for the wall of text, but if you follow all that, you'll be punching out a bull in no time.

EvilOne
May 25, 2009, 06:20 PM
every thing.

kvee
May 26, 2009, 12:35 AM
wow thanks every one for the help. Well I have boxed on and off since high school. But recently just got in to Muay Thai Kickboxing. So I do about 200 crunches on an incline bench to take of my core. And I work my legs like hell. If you know how thai boxing kicks are you would know that it requires you to swing your hip and leg kind of like a base ball bat. I also do squats and shit load of kicks on the bag. I also wear 16 oz gloves and fully extending my arm I hit the shadow ball, and the heavy bag, and the mits (my coach really pushes me). I also do rotating handle push ups about 3 sets of 30. Very nice and slow. I always concentrate and doing the right form with my kicks, punches, push ups , sit ups and etc. I also get a 3 pound weight and do jabs and keep my hands up using 3 pound weights for about 8 minutes while warming up. There is a big emphasis on keeping your hands up. As a result my arms are usually sore as hell and my shoulders are sore. I heard shoulders and chest are important muscles for punching power. But I feel like I need to do explosive push ups for the explosive punching power more. Now what's a good weight to increase speed? I practice jabs with the 3 pound weight and also with a 16 oz gloves. Is that the way to go? OH yeah somebody asked my weight. I am 167.5 Ibs and 5'9.

EvilOne
May 26, 2009, 12:39 AM
loose the weights when punching, you will regret it later in life.
crunches dont equal core

pasychosheep
May 26, 2009, 12:47 AM
loose the weights when punching, you will regret it later in life.
crunches dont equal core

This. Plus true punching strength comes from the back and legs, not chest and shoulders. Read my post again, there's some great exercises there that really work.

GeoZim
May 26, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hello

Never use weight while punching as it developes the wrong kind of muscle fibers. It can actually make you slower. The boxers of yesteryear would use indian clubs as part of their training to develope fluidity and flexiblity in the whole arm and shoulder girdle. The speed is a side effect of being fluid and flexible therfore work on the whole body movement for punches and kicks and let the power flow from that smoothness.

itlives
May 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
When I started TKD back in the stoneage, my teacher made us punch the air for 6 months straight before we could get near a heavy bag.
We did -
1 x 10
2 x 10
3 x 10
and so on for 10 sets
We had some good straight punches.

I like Doms advice about shadowboxing. He's on to something. There's something about throwing hooks with no weight that makes you use your whole body (if done correctly).
If you watch some of the best fighters' knockouts, their hooks are very short, quick and deadly. Usually 6" punches. That's because the whole body is involved.

csg148
May 26, 2009, 11:03 PM
Shadow boxing and heavy bag training. Your rotating pushup thingy is a gimick in my opinion, and doing them slowly is counter productive for punching power, when a punch is thrown fast and hard.

I have to agree with Evil on the core thing also. Crunches are great to stress the core a little more, however core should be developed as a whole with the rest of your exercises.

Raja
May 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
Make sure your technique is solid. It's not just throwing hard punches, but speed and accuracy are equally crucial.

This guy knows his shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ugcABJna4

moeed_eng
May 29, 2009, 04:41 AM
use sand bag for boxing practic and try to hit punch and you will see your result;) and even small sand bag like a small ball size try to hit it fast like circle or like cycle and etc:p

rikrock
May 29, 2009, 06:25 AM
use sand bag for boxing practic and try to hit punch and you will see your result;) and even small sand bag like a small ball size try to hit it fast like circle or like cycle and etc:p
If you are suggesting hitting a sand heavy bag I couldn't disagree more. first of all if you hit it hard you will break your fingers or wrist. If you don't break anything you will be pulling your punches after the first couple of throws and it will actually cause you to loose power! If you want punching power from a heavy bag use the softest one you can find. When you hit that bag you want to be going though it, bend that bag in half! Then switch back and forth on heavier bags. Alot of guys look good on heavy bags because they are fast but they have no real power.

EvilOne
May 29, 2009, 09:59 AM
If you are suggesting hitting a sand heavy bag I couldn't disagree more. first of all if you hit it hard you will break your fingers or wrist. If you don't break anything you will be pulling your punches after the first couple of throws and it will actually cause you to loose power! If you want punching power from a heavy bag use the softest one you can find. When you hit that bag you want to be going though it, bend that bag in half! Then switch back and forth on heavier bags. Alot of guys look good on heavy bags because they are fast but they have no real power.
rik he is kinda "special" it might be the language barrier, but part of it is he runs on a different fuel than most of us. He posts 50 sgt ken video's . cock fighting videos, copy and pastes 20,000 word pages. So I bet he just means a heavy bag.

OneTruth13
May 29, 2009, 11:45 AM
rik he is kinda "special" it might be the language barrier, but part of it is he runs on a different fuel than most of us. He posts 50 sgt ken video's . cock fighting videos, copy and pastes 20,000 word pages. So I bet he just means a heavy bag.

:lol::lol:good stuff here

rikrock
May 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
I figured that. I just did not want to assume.;) I see all the articles he posts but I never read them, thanks for the confirmation:lol::lol::lol:

n8tive
May 29, 2009, 02:11 PM

Evil, you are so polite - way more than me... LOL :lol::-D:lol::lol:

gilstrap
May 29, 2009, 04:04 PM
i hate to be a party pooper but punching power is 80% god given ...you can improve your fitness , stance ,eye to ball blah blah but for the most part you can either spark someone or you cant and its something i wouldnt obsess about in your training

Lovro
May 29, 2009, 10:02 PM
Well, power in punching comes from speed. At least, impact for exerted does. Force=mass X acceleration^2 So, for every bit you increase your acceleration, your force exerted increases by the same amount to the power of two. Adding mass behind your punch will increase the force as well, albeit at a slower rate with earlier diminishing gains.

Keep in mind, though, that acceleration isn't velocity, it's the distance an object needs to travel to reach a certain velocity from a point. So, if someone with longer arms reaches 50 MPH in the same amount of time it takes your fist to reach 50 MPH, their punch is gonna hit harder because it had to travel a farther distance and therefore accelerate faster than yours.

Enough science(I just love to tell people about that stuff, it's so simple when you get it).

Hm, the part in bold, and in consequence the following conclusion, is wrong,
force equals mass times acceleration, by Newton's second law:

F = dp / dt,

where p is the momentum, as vector, of the system, and F is the vector sum force,

and because the momentum can be written like mass times speed, the equation above becomes simply:

F = ma,

with both force and acceleration as vectors.

Pasychosheep, did you maybe had kinetic energy in mind with usage of the power of two?
Because I think it is quite relevant to the topic.

Mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred by the force acting through a distance, so

W = Fd,

according to the work-energy theorem, if an external force acts upon an object,
causing its kinetic energy to change from Wk1 to Wk2,
then the mechanical work W is given by:

W = ∆Wk = Wk2 - Wk1 = 1/2 m∆(v^2)

a = dv / dt

&

v = ds / dt

>>>

ma ds = m (dv / dt) ds = mdv (ds / dt) = mv dv = md (^2) / 2 = d (mv^2 /2)

d derivative
m mass
a acceleration
v velocity (speed of something in a given direction)
t time
d, s distance
W energy, also used E
∆ Greek letter Delta, used to denote change

With a few more words, the kinetic energy of an object is the extra energy, possessed due to the motion of an object.

It is the work needed to accelerate a body with a given mass from rest to current velocity.

I hope you do not find this irrelevant.

Raja
May 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
Woohooo!! Elementary calculus on BWC!!!

Lovro
May 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
What can I say, I cannot allow the spread of the wrong faith, it will disturb the gods of science :mrgreen:

Dominator350
May 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
i hate to be a party pooper but punching power is 80% god given ...you can improve your fitness , stance ,eye to ball blah blah but for the most part you can either spark someone or you cant and its something i wouldnt obsess about in your training

hahaha what the fuuuuuuck... ahha

Dominator350
May 29, 2009, 11:42 PM

F = dp / dt,

where p is the momentum, as vector, of the system, and F is the vector sum force,

and because the momentum can be written like mass times speed, the equation above becomes simply:

F = ma,

Pasychosheep, did you maybe had kinetic energy in mind with usage of the power of two?

Mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred by the force acting through a distance, so

W = Fd,

a = dv / dt

&

v = ds / dt

>>>

d derivative
m mass
a acceleration
t time
d, s distance
W energy, also used E

With a few more words, the kinetic energy of an object is the extra energy, possessed due to the motion of an object.

It is the work needed to accelerate a body with a given mass from rest to current velocity.

GO TO HELL...

OneTruth13
May 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
GO TO HELL...

HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

yeah i saw that and punched my laptop.

pasychosheep
May 29, 2009, 11:49 PM

F = dp / dt,

F = ma,

W = Fd,

a = dv / dt

&

v = ds / dt

>>>

d derivative
m mass
a acceleration
t time
d, s distance
W energy, also used E

hahaha, wow, I just got math and science'd in the face...hard. This is what I get for trusting a martial arts article I read two years ago for physics lessons XD

At any rate, if a given mass is going at a certain speed it will hit harder than the same mass going a slower speed, correct?

Cheeze_Baron
May 30, 2009, 01:27 AM
^Lolz, there's always an undertone of anti-math in these forums it's not even funny. To be fair it's one of the better quick-to-the-point and none run-on sentences posts utilizing maths, since ever.

Lovro
May 30, 2009, 06:52 AM
GO TO HELL...

If there is a broadband internet access, anything can be arranged ;)

HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

yeah i saw that and punched my laptop.

see, transferring the kinetic energy again; there is also some thermodynamics involved, but I will get banned if I go into that

At any rate, if a given mass is going at a certain speed it will hit harder than the same mass going a slower speed, correct?

Sure, that is why you do not want to play chicken against a cargo train.
Or even better, make that just against any train.

^Lolz, there's always an undertone of anti-math in these forums it's not even funny. To be fair it's one of the better quick-to-the-point and none run-on sentences posts utilizing maths, since ever.

Hey, thanks. I guess you are on your way to hell too?
It is pretty much a failed concept, using an undertone for some laws of the universe, so much greater than anything imaginable.

Let the Force be with you, always :D

Dominator350
May 30, 2009, 09:44 AM
WHO... WHO are YOU!?

Lovro
May 30, 2009, 08:49 PM
I am your father?

No, seriously, that is, besides the off-topic part, one really deep philosophical question, haha.

Maybe I should just continue with the physical aspects, huh.

moeed_eng
Jun 01, 2009, 07:01 AM
hey use sand bag but use boxing gloves as it will protect your knuckles do knuckle push ups.

moeed_eng
Jun 01, 2009, 07:02 AM
i want to ask a may be weird question is nitendo wii boxing glove as a joystick is good for bozing power?;)

Fatman
Jun 01, 2009, 09:20 AM
I am your father?

LOL.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Your calculations are correct, Young One. However, try not to confound our inferior intellects too hard with all the physics stuff. Some of us react violently when presented with numbers.

Olinek should chime in so we don't look like a bunch of mathematically ignorant neanderthals :)

Lovro
Jun 01, 2009, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't go into all that gibberish if I hadn't noticed pasychosheeps mistake. In case that someone found that aspect about punching power intriguing, it's better to start with correct equations, don't you agree? :D

Dominator350
Jun 01, 2009, 11:14 AM
i want to ask a may be weird question is nitendo wii boxing glove as a joystick is good for bozing power?;)

godamnit moeed, you fucking... ah i can't even bother

texaswolf
Jun 01, 2009, 12:08 PM
Moeed seems to be special.

OneTruth13
Jun 01, 2009, 01:39 PM

ahhh maaannnnn....dude, what does this mean?????!!! What the hell is THIS!!! "joystick is good bozing power" <--WHA!!????

You make me laugh man, and the banter between you and Dom makes miss piss myself sometimes!

I know i should eat cranberries or something for better piss, right?

texaswolf
Jun 01, 2009, 01:39 PM
:lol::lol:

whitemonkey
Jun 01, 2009, 04:18 PM
For the best punching power you want to combine 2 elements-strength and speed. with just brute strength you have those heavy handed strikes that hurt like hell when you land them. with speed you can get in and out untouched. combine the two and you will have that one punch KO power. you'll want strong shoulders, chest and arms. handstand pushups can work two of those and will build great strength. add plyo pushups and your chest will get stronger and you will become lightning fast. you'll also wantstrong and flexible hips and legs. they count for a lot more in a punch than you may realize.

Cheeze_Baron
Jun 01, 2009, 10:53 PM
I believe the dudes question meant, "is it worth bothering with the boxing in wii sports for developing awesome knockout power, yay or nay?". In which case NO!...but it is a bit fun though fairly repetitive. As for the ops question, I'd say some explosive isometrics for all punches at three different positions, though I'm sure someones already mentioned that.

Raja
Jun 01, 2009, 11:03 PM
It's threads like these are why I love this forum.

To simplify the math posted above for you non-engineers..

All you need is F=MA. Force is equal to mass times acceleration. Basically if you are big and punch fast, you will generate a lot of force. The idea behind technique is to be able to throw more of your fat ass behind that punch so you can knock a mofo out.

moeed-

My niece can beat me on wii boxing and all she does is flail her arms.

Fatman
Jun 02, 2009, 02:23 AM
moeed-

My niece can beat me on wii boxing and all she does is flail her arms.

Whatever. I KNOW that playing Guitar Hero improves my (nonexistent) Guitar Skills and that soon I'll be able to quit my job and become a rock star. You wait and see, haters.

moeed_eng
Jun 02, 2009, 09:43 AM
hmm not bad at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_q0jKWxzvc

Dominator350
Jun 02, 2009, 10:07 AM
hmm not bad at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_q0jKWxzvc

hahahaha... okay moeed. You win. Giver a try and tell us how it works out.

olinek
Jun 02, 2009, 02:09 PM
LOL.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Your calculations are correct, Young One. However, try not to confound our inferior intellects too hard with all the physics stuff. Some of us react violently when presented with numbers.

Olinek should chime in so we don't look like a bunch of mathematically ignorant neanderthals :)

lol calculus for the win.. You know you could find your OPTIMAL SQUAT STANCE USING CALCULUS HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!?????????

That crazy John Gill dude who was doing one armed front levers is a math PHD... kidna comforts me that I don't gotta turn out to be

http://supersecretsociety.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/nerd.jpg

Wasn't the HULK guy.. bruce banner a scientist????????

http://getcontagio.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/hulk.jpg

Put the 2 together.... and you get:

http://www.martindale.com/LBM_Images/Lawyers/lawyer-brooks-d-kubik-photo-355740.jpg

Fatman
Jun 02, 2009, 02:20 PM
Put the 2 together.... and you get:

http://www.martindale.com/LBM_Images/Lawyers/lawyer-brooks-d-kubik-photo-355740.jpg

No shit. That is one crazy geek.

OneTruth13
Jun 02, 2009, 02:23 PM

O, you want to look like this dude?!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol::lol:

Raja
Jun 03, 2009, 03:17 PM
hmm not bad at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_q0jKWxzvc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_q0jKWxzvc)

Gaaah, there's a wire connecting the two gloves?? Would make me well, um, want to punch something..................

itlives
Jun 03, 2009, 03:24 PM
i want to ask a may be weird question is nitendo wii boxing glove as a joystick is good for boozing power?;)

You misspelled the word, I fixed it for you. Now, the answer is yes.