PDA

View Full Version : Exercise for bareknuckle boxing

Raja
Mar 30, 2009, 01:57 AM
I found this exercise to be particularly helpful for bareknuckle bag work in which you need to keep constant tension in your wrists and have a strong grip.

http://www.mikemahler.com/kettlebell_exercises.html

It's the bottoms up clean and press with a kettlebell. For fun you can also try shadowboxing with lightweight kettlebells in this same bottoms up position.

Jimmies
Mar 30, 2009, 07:21 AM
Kettlebell training is good for devoloping great power in your arms and hands.

but i dont think that has to do anything with heavy bag work
strength for the heavybag comes with the right technick.

and when you get the right technick, you can develop power in it.

madknight
Mar 30, 2009, 07:45 AM
Technique is important to get down. You want to be able to punch right especially since it's bare knuckle. Other aspects that seem like a good idea to improve would be finger/hand/wrist strength and knuckle conditioning.

Some ideas for knuckle conditioning would be knuckle push ups (work your way up to a hard surface like concrete), hitting the heavy bag without gloves (technique is important here) and plyo knuckle push ups perhaps.

Some ideas for wrist strength are plate wrist curls and sledgehammer levering.

Jimmies
Mar 30, 2009, 08:15 AM
offcourse i ment technique..

lol

@ madknight

push ups on your wrists do not strengthen your wrists( i read it somewhere, but i dont know where). it helps your knuckles to harden, but has nothing to do with your wrists.

fist work is indeed very helpfull for strength in your punches, it's not the only thing though.
get some hand grippers or what madknight said, finger pushups work very good as well.

Regards

madknight
Mar 30, 2009, 09:06 AM
push ups on your wrists do not strengthen your wrists( i read it somewhere, but i dont know where). it helps your knuckles to harden, but has nothing to do with your wrists.

Whether they do or not I'm not entirely sure myself but that's beside the point because I only suggested it to condition the knuckles not to strengthen the wrists.

fist work is indeed very helpfull for strength in your punches, it's not the only thing though.
get some hand grippers or what madknight said, finger pushups work very good as well.

If you want punching power, strengthening your hands wont do much more than provide a solid end to hit with (and help keep you from breaking it or going 'damn my hand hurts' after hitting someone :-P). The power comes from technique. Mainly, the ability to use your whole body in your punch along with the speed of the punch.

Jimmies
Mar 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
im sorry, i thought you mentioned wrist push ups strengthen the wrist.

as far for the strength, your right. it comes from the right technique, and that was what i ment to, it strengths your wrist alot because you crush your hand togheter, how harder how better.

regards.

olinek
Mar 30, 2009, 10:36 PM
what do you mean wrist pushups?? DO you mean pushups on the back of your hands?? I fos they definitely DO strengthen the wrists, but you have to remember, you are supposed to be pressing into the ground with your back hand. The end goal in fact would be to go from a backj of hand position to a position on your knuckles without using momentum from the pushup. Try that and tlel me it doesn't stengthen wrists..

Or do you mean pushups on your knuckles? If so they also train your wrists.. not on your fists.. on your knuckles.. it is a good exercise for wrist stability. The exact same kind of stability you need when throwing a pushup.. so that your hand hand doesn't buckle or cave one way or another.

Raja
Mar 31, 2009, 03:18 AM
Technique is of course the most important. But I'm directing this at those who have good technique down fairly well and want to improve capabilities with bareknuckle bag work. Also it helps to strengthen the wrist muscles in general trying to hold kettlebells in the bottoms up position.

Jimmies
Mar 31, 2009, 06:39 AM
what do you mean wrist pushups?? DO you mean pushups on the back of your hands?? I fos they definitely DO strengthen the wrists, but you have to remember, you are supposed to be pressing into the ground with your back hand. The end goal in fact would be to go from a backj of hand position to a position on your knuckles without using momentum from the pushup. Try that and tlel me it doesn't stengthen wrists..

Or do you mean pushups on your knuckles? If so they also train your wrists.. not on your fists.. on your knuckles.. it is a good exercise for wrist stability. The exact same kind of stability you need when throwing a pushup.. so that your hand hand doesn't buckle or cave one way or another.

i ment push up on your knuckles, i supose this threat goes about it?
either way, at some kind of way it doesnt really help youre wrist to strength
because with a lot of people theyre wrists are not build for such kind of pressure, so its dangerous. You`re whole body weights falls on your knuckles/wrists.
im not saying youre wrong, because im not an expert in it.

madknight
Mar 31, 2009, 10:38 AM
Technique is of course the most important. But I'm directing this at those who have good technique down fairly well and want to improve capabilities with bareknuckle bag work. Also it helps to strengthen the wrist muscles in general trying to hold kettlebells in the bottoms up position.

I would say holding the kettlebell in a lot of different positions would be beneficial to wrist strength.

For more grip strengthening ideas check out:
http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/GripTips/GripTip1.html <-- This is just the first in a long list of tips
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/ExtremePages/extremepage1.html <-- This doesn't have too many but they give some ideas on how to work grip while doing bodyweight exercises. (On a side note, anyone read this guys book?)

That should be a nice amount of information to add along with your kettlebell and boxing work and what has already been said.

olinek
Mar 31, 2009, 02:14 PM
i ment push up on your knuckles, i supose this threat goes about it?
either way, at some kind of way it doesnt really help youre wrist to strength
because with a lot of people theyre wrists are not build for such kind of pressure, so its dangerous. You`re whole body weights falls on your knuckles/wrists.
im not saying youre wrong, because im not an expert in it.

Well now it seems you are contradicting yourself. It seems now youa re saying it is not useful because it demands TOO much strength and wrist stability. I dunno though, I think just about anyone could work up to doing those in a short time. I have tiny little wrists.. but I have beein working the fuck out of them. No doubt my wrists feel a hundred times stronger than they used too.. eventually the tendons will resemble high tension cables and will be able to transfer the power of a pneumatic hammer thru my arms.

REMsimpson
Mar 31, 2009, 08:58 PM
http://tkriblog.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/the-ude-makiwara-notes-on-history-construction-and-usage-pt-1/

Combined with glove-less bag work and wrist strengthening exercises, the above is a great tool for developing bare knuckle striking ability. Just be sure that you know which knuckles are landing, no matter what trajectory you are punching from. Lining up the 1st and 2nd metacarpals on the target is vital if you plan on hitting anything more than once. Hitting a makiwara (or anything else for that matter) has more to do with wrist and body alignment than it does with knuckle conditioning. Simply put, if the wrists are weak, you will not be able to hit hard.

Raja
Apr 01, 2009, 11:35 PM
madknight-

Thanks for the info!

IronWolverine
Nov 02, 2009, 06:16 AM
Technique is important to get down. You want to be able to punch right especially since it's bare knuckle. Other aspects that seem like a good idea to improve would be finger/hand/wrist strength and knuckle conditioning.

Some ideas for knuckle conditioning would be knuckle push ups (work your way up to a hard surface like concrete), hitting the heavy bag without gloves (technique is important here) and plyo knuckle push ups perhaps.

Some ideas for wrist strength are plate wrist curls and sledgehammer levering.

I surely agree,with you

Drumsticks1013
Nov 03, 2009, 12:44 AM
As far as knuckle conditioning is concerned, regular training with a makiwara is used in most traditional Japanese martial arts. A quick google search will yield a ton of information about how to make and use one as well as precautions, because they are quite easy to injure yourself with.

vostok
Dec 08, 2009, 01:06 AM
Old time prizefighers pre gloves would soak there hand in brine to toughen them and they would punch with their fists vertically.

Ewok 02
Dec 09, 2009, 05:02 PM
What do you mean "punch with their fist vertically"? Are you talking about the old school way of holding your hands or something else?

vostok
Dec 09, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah the old school way, knuckes to the side is how they did it, so they wouldn't break their hands.

Ewok 02
Dec 09, 2009, 09:45 PM
That still doesn't answer my question. What I am asking is, Are they holding there stance like lets say Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey as in keeping your elbows down and fist pointed in the air in sort of an uppercut position? Or, are we saying to throw the punch with the knuckles going North to south as oppose to left to right, Like a Bas Rutten left straight?

Cheeze_Baron
Dec 09, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'm sure he means the last one, as in thumb to the sky as opposed to palm facing downwards seen in modern boxing.

vostok
Dec 11, 2009, 08:33 PM
That still doesn't answer my question. What I am asking is, Are they holding there stance like lets say Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey as in keeping your elbows down and fist pointed in the air in sort of an uppercut position? Or, are we saying to throw the punch with the knuckles going North to south as oppose to left to right, Like a Bas Rutten left straight?

Dempsey used gloves, more like Jack Johnson, Jim Corbett or John Sullivan.