PDA

View Full Version : Blink eyes while sparring

Jimmies
Mar 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm kickboxing 3 times a week.
at every end of the training the last 2 quarters we have some sparring sessions

and everytime an oppenent attacks me, i close/blink my eyes.
it's not that im scared or something, i guess.

but is it that i have to sparr more? that is comes with the time,
because i guess its an reaction, because i need to learn to control that or something.

its very annoing but i hope somebody has some usefull tips!
(dont mind my english please)

Regards

Flipessorry
Mar 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
maybe just keep your eyes open and accept an attack a couple of times so your used to it...?

Jimmies
Mar 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
yeah like i said, i think i need to get used to it.
but i thought it can be usefull to ask, maybe someone has a good tip for it.

but what you say i exactly do,

rikrock
Mar 29, 2009, 03:33 PM
Here's a tip for you. Stand against a wall and have a friend throw a basket ball at your head, slowly at first so you can practice slipping the "punch" by moving your head to the left or right. Focus on watching the ball as you slip. As you get better the speed of the throw can increase and soon you will not be phased by it and your eyes will stay open. Good luck.

Parth
Mar 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
When I first started sparring, I was scared. I knew I was better than most of my peers in terms of conditioning but for some reason I sucked at sparring. One of the reasons was that I was always on the defensive. What I did was I started attacking. Once I took the offense, people started backing off and I got better at sparring. Sure, I got hit a few times. In fact, a few times I got hit really bad in the head because I was leading with my head too much. But once you get hit bad like that, ur not afraid of body shots or takedowns. It comes with time.

1929hellbox
Mar 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
I find watching the chest about the solar plexus is a big advantage movement from the Tan Tien (lower abdomen) is easier to see, I like a big picture view, look for movement.

cheesedog
Mar 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
Here's a tip for you. Stand against a wall and have a friend throw a basket ball at your head, slowly at first so you can practice slipping the "punch" by moving your head to the left or right. Focus on watching the ball as you slip. As you get better the speed of the throw can increase and soon you will not be phased by it and your eyes will stay open. Good luck.

That's a great method. Another thing you can do if you are alone is hang a rolled up sock from a string stuck to your ceiling, just bat the sock around and let it smack you in the face while keeping your eyes open.

Eventually toss the sock and hang a kettlebell in its place. :p :p ;)

itlives
Mar 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
As you get more experienced, it'll stop.
Rikrock's method sounds very good to me.
Blinking is your first and most primal defense.You protect the eyes because without them you die.You will override that primal defense mechanism with practice.

Ben Ahipene
Mar 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
when your in the shower or bath splash or flick water into your eyes & try not to blink. Getting hit in the head won't make you smarter lol.

kcee
Mar 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
re: ben ahipene's response.
to me that sounds ridiculous. in my opinion you need a situation where you don't know what is happening, flicking water in your eyes wouldn't do much i think, you know it's coming so you know what to expect, get a stocking or a couple, even a sock will work and put a empty beer bottle. or even a balloon filled to a size of a tennis ball with rice or maize, a normal tennis ball could work too aswell. and then hang it from a rafter and push it with one hand, then 'slip' it as it comes back to you. http://how-to-box.com/boxing/boxingvideos/slip-bag-training that should help. it you use something softer,like a rolled up sock, or a tennis ball and let it hit you in the face, then i think you will be on the right track

Ben Ahipene
Mar 30, 2009, 04:44 AM
The World being round also sounded ridiculous untill proven otherwise.

I thought jimmies problem was blinking when under pressure, not head movement, which sounds like the problem your dealing with (bobbing weaving & slip).
Jimmie & itlives were right, it is a reaction a natural one, so knowing what is going to happen dosen't matter, it's suppressing the urge that you need to control.
Personaly i'd rather be hit in the eye with a droplet of water than a basket ball or beer bottle.It can be incorporated into your daily routine, takes less than 1 min and can be done alone.
The person that gave me this little nuggut (20 years ago) has 60+ years history in MUAYTHAI, I used it, my fighters use it, my juniors use it. Maybe you could at lest try it kcee,couldn't hurt ;)

kcee
Mar 30, 2009, 06:11 AM
fair enough, I still think my theory could work because if he's just going to close his eye's when an objects coming towards his face, then he will cop a hit in the face, I was thinking when using the slip bag it will get him to focus on what's coming towards his face, meaning if he were to close his eyes then he'll have to suffer the onsequences :P . I guess I've never had to worry about this problem much when I'm sparring, but if you say your way has worked then I guess that's all good, I just couldn't see it working for me as I didn't really flinch at all when I gave it a go. We all respond differently and it's better to try different ways to improve ourself. Just curious if you have any other little nuggets hidden away ;)

ejempire
Mar 30, 2009, 06:49 AM
yea i used to blink hardcore wen i started boxing lol a really basic way i found that helped me alot with the blinking problem was to get into your fighting stance and hold ur guard up high so covering your face (pretty much peek-a-boo guard) and leave space in between the middle so u can see punches being thrown at you but not wide enough so a glove can get through. then get a partner to start by lightly throwing straight punches at your gloves and then eventually get them to speed up their punches and throw straight combos as you get more used to it. this way, you get used to something flying at your face without actually getting hit in the face.

Jimmies
Mar 30, 2009, 07:15 AM
Very usefull tips all! thankyou very much!

i like the slip bag training a lot, thats a good way of getting used to it i guess.

the water is also very usefull, i still think it comes with time and practice.
ejempire's way is good to, i will try out al the stuff you all told me.

thankyou very much!

Regards,

Ben Ahipene
Mar 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
Controled & repetative sparring/drills like ejempire said are good.

Jab, cross, a floor to ceiling ball (make sure it's fairly soft & has a lot of movement), keep your chin down & let the ball bebound off your
forehead.You slooowly get used to hitting & getting hit.

Hold foucus pads for someone you trust, keep them as close to your face as posible & let them start off with slow & soft single hits with static pads, building up to fast & hard combo's with you tapping back. Make sure you maintain a good stance for transferable biomechanics.

Get a soccer ball & header it 3 -4 times, start again. The brain doesn't see this as a threat so you shouldn't blink. This proves it's a reflex issue.
Good luck jimmies.

yibii
Mar 31, 2009, 06:07 AM
i suggest doing some weapon training, its a pretty good way of train yourself to accept strikes. a punch hurts but if you close your eyes when a knife is coming at you then its all over. i find if im sparring and doing badly then imagining that its a knife coming at me and not a fist moves me out of the way a lot quicker.

obviously im not saying grab a kitchen knife and have a friend poke it at you. check if there are any classes in you area that does Escrima (Philippine stick and knife fighting).

hope this helps

this training is also helpful if you happen to live in Croydon, UK.

Jimmies
Mar 31, 2009, 06:30 AM
Controled & repetative sparring/drills like ejempire said are good.

Jab, cross, a floor to ceiling ball (make sure it's fairly soft & has a lot of movement), keep your chin down & let the ball bebound off your
forehead.You slooowly get used to hitting & getting hit.

Hold foucus pads for someone you trust, keep them as close to your face as posible & let them start off with slow & soft single hits with static pads, building up to fast & hard combo's with you tapping back. Make sure you maintain a good stance for transferable biomechanics.

Get a soccer ball & header it 3 -4 times, start again. The brain doesn't see this as a threat so you shouldn't blink. This proves it's a reflex issue.
Good luck jimmies.

that ceiling ball is indeed a very good way, it looks harder then it is..
and i need to get used by someone throwing punches at me.
i mean, streetfighting is a whole lot easier then thai boxing!

Much thanks for you reply and time!

Kind regards,

Jimmies
Mar 31, 2009, 06:33 AM
i suggest doing some weapon training, its a pretty good way of train yourself to accept strikes. a punch hurts but if you close your eyes when a knife is coming at you then its all over. i find if im sparring and doing badly then imagining that its a knife coming at me and not a fist moves me out of the way a lot quicker.

obviously im not saying grab a kitchen knife and have a friend poke it at you. check if there are any classes in you area that does Escrima (Philippine stick and knife fighting).

hope this helps

this training is also helpful if you happen to live in Croydon, UK.

i will check that out if it helps!
what you say is true, i did aikido for several months, and when a big stick comes flying at you you dont want to close your eyes. cus that thing hurts like hell!

thankyou for your reply and time!

Kind regards,

mun3t
Apr 16, 2009, 10:41 AM
It's a reflex it will go over soon when you have gotten some punches to the face, at least what I think :P

Evrey time I go to the shower and waters falls on my eyes I try to not blink believe me it works!

gilstrap
Apr 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
its a confidense thing the more you spar the better you get
the better you get the less youl blink

koganinja
Apr 18, 2009, 04:31 AM
it is the body saying quick close eyes som thing is come this way if you learn to focus has in realy lock onto your oppents eyes with yours this should stop the blinkingrember the body will always do what you tell it to do

RedZero
Apr 21, 2009, 11:55 PM
Are you simply blinking or actually flinching? The flinch is wired into our brains. You can't eliminate it, but you can minimize it and control it to some degree.

crazydan
May 12, 2009, 10:41 PM
try this. instead of trying to keep your eyes open. squint them a tiny bit and fight like that. it works for me.

emetshamash
May 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
I would like to just echo the keep it up, it will get better sentiment. The longer you spar, the easier it will get to not flinch, blink, stumble, etc while sparring and recover quicker from damaging blows. Once you know what to expect, it isn't as scary or surprising.

g-fighter
May 18, 2009, 09:27 PM
i've been kickboxing for 4 years now and every time i take time off from a fight and get back into it have the same problem with sparring again and closing my eyes. ya just need to do it more and it will pass. as crapy as it sounds but getting hit is the only way to get use to it.

Freeman
Jun 13, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yes, it takes a little time, it's like how a sane person's natural reaction is to move away or run after they evade or block an attack, a good way to kick that habit is to, instead of sparring, just have someone attack you repeatedly and focus specifically on fighting against one of those habits.

LOK222
Jun 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
it will get better with practice..

the more you do it.. the more relaxed you are and the blinking wont be a problem